This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

WIS Productions celebrates the avoidance of pink slips in its latest edition of "Umile's Last Stand - _____ for 600"

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600 Continues"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 586
    Wins Remaining to the next round number: 14
    *Games Remaining (Next Season - Min.): 36
    Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 38.9%
    WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 67%

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

A tumultuous couple of weeks here at the WIS Estate has thankfully finally played out, and as the dust settles on an audacious postseason charge by UNH through the MBPBEGAM round of the so-called *playoffs* against the powerful North Andover HS Warriors, culminating in a historical (hysterical?) QF showdown with top-seeded UMass-Lowell, where Coach Bazin's Mighty Riverhawks weren't out of the woods on an upset until 5 minutes into the first period of decisive Game Three ... finally, some clarity, as the light dawns over the mythical Marblehead.

Yes, he's baaaaaack!!! The Quest continues, and the crawl to the next round number continues unabated.

And as a practical matter, the WIS research staff gets to keep their jobs for another 12 months. Thanks UNH!!

The Big Picture - the events of the last couple of weeks (and perhaps more notably the last 24 hours) may have paid lip service to goals of qualifying for the NCAA tourney next season ... but truthfully speaking, the only realistic goals right now are twofold - one, rack up 14 more wins to get Coach to the NRN, and two, finish up feathering Coach's 403(b) plan for the *shock* retirement announcement he made today. With his enabler-in-chief BS35+5 having lost his latest battle with intestinal fortitude, and foregoing the good of the program for one more year of walking through quicksand ... well, OK - maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here. The focus does now shift to see what our genius smahtest-guy-in-da-room AD has up his sleeve for his paisan HC. Another cupcake schedule, and we'll know BS35+5 was implicit as the enabler-in-chief to get his pal to the NRN. Only a return to scheduling normalcy (i.e. not half of Atlantic Hockey at home) would signal the AD was less than implicit in continuing his *plan* to its logical conclusion, and just might not be so pleased with the return of the HC.

Make no mistake ... the last two seasons' worth of schedules were set up to artificially inflate UNH's standing in D-1, and should easily have ensured .500 finishes, even if the 'Cats were always going to be doomed to the lower half of HE. The idea that neither team really came all that close did leave the door open for our all-knowing AD to step in and pull the plug, and start the "new era" a year early. But that didn't happen. So next season is on you, BS35+5. As is Coach Souza's ultimate success, which is being increasingly sandbagged - also by you.

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF (PROJECTED): AIC (10/13/17); @ AIC (10/14/17)

CAN BS35+5 POSSIBLY MESS THIS UP ANY MORE THAN HE ALREADY HAS?

Does a bear do its business in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic? Was Walshy a cheatin' bast!d? Heck yes. In fact, the current situation is set up as almost a no-win proposition. Should UNH win 14 games next season? Heck yes, they absolutely should. 67% likelihood (see projection above) means a 2-in-3 chance of success at reaching the NRN. Cupcakes and marshmallows should appear in abundance on the 2017/2018 UNH Men's Hockey schedule, and the sugar content will be SO high that you'll think you got lost in a North End bakery. Unless of course BS35+5 really was hoping for Coach to fall on his own sword ... which seems unlikely, sure, but you don't get to be a genius AD with almost 40 years in the business without seeing things others might not see. But we'll get that answer soon enough.

But think about it. Your Hobey Baker offensive catalyst has played his last game for UNH. Your terrific-by-universal-acclaim captain and lead blueline performer, ditto. Apparently you think you have the horses on the blueline starting to trickle in next Fall, and that may be so. But that will be a time of the season where W's will be critical for the pursuit of the NRN. Again, there's going to be a need to accumulate about 10 wins before the calendar changes to 2018. And that's (improbably) proven elusive these last two seasons. "Hey, we won 15 games this season, WIS. Why so glum, chum?" OK, when did we win Game 14 - y'know, the one we're going to need to win next season to reach the NRN? "That would have been Game 3 of the silly round against Merrimack". Correct. So let's say UNH ends up in the same scenario next season, and they have to win their MBPBEGAM round outright. You going to bet the farm that the program - and the coach - who've historically struggled mightily in must-win scenarios, are gonna win that one? Or will we see the final, ultimate ... "Umiliation"?

Again, for the record ... I hope Coach rides off into the sunset with all that he can reasonably hope to achieve with his team in his final year at UNH. But even if he comes up short, WIS wants to point out that not making it to 600 is hardly a stain on Coach's standing as one of the all-time greats. Here's a list of greats who didn't quite make it to 600 either:

528 - Sir Alex Ferguson (coaching wins - all-time PL leader)
    511 - Cy Young (pitching wins - all-time MLB leader)
    486 - Ty Cobb (win shares - all-time MLB leader - for the stats geeks)
    377 - Bobby Bowden (coaching wins - all-time NCAA D-1 leader)
    328 - Don Shula (coaching wins - all-time NFL leader)
    229 - Willie Pep (wins - all-time boxing leader)
    200 - Richard Petty (race wins - all-time NASCAR leader)
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      WIS Productions celebrates the avoidance of pink slips in its latest edition of "Umile's Last Stand - _____ for 600"

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600 Continues"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 586
      Wins Remaining to the next round number: 14
      *Games Remaining (Next Season - Min.): 36
      Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 38.9%
      WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 67%

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

A tumultuous couple of weeks here at the WIS Estate has thankfully finally played out, and as the dust settles on an audacious postseason charge by UNH through the MBPBEGAM round of the so-called *playoffs* against the powerful North Andover HS Warriors, culminating in a historical (hysterical?) QF showdown with top-seeded UMass-Lowell, where Coach Bazin's Mighty Riverhawks weren't out of the woods on an upset until 5 minutes into the first period of decisive Game Three ... finally, some clarity, as the light dawns over the mythical Marblehead.

Yes, he's baaaaaack!!! The Quest continues, and the crawl to the next round number continues unabated.

And as a practical matter, the WIS research staff gets to keep their jobs for another 12 months. Thanks UNH!!

The Big Picture - the events of the last couple of weeks (and perhaps more notably the last 24 hours) may have paid lip service to goals of qualifying for the NCAA tourney next season ... but truthfully speaking, the only realistic goals right now are twofold - one, rack up 14 more wins to get Coach to the NRN, and two, finish up feathering Coach's 403(b) plan for the *shock* retirement announcement he made today. With his enabler-in-chief BS35+5 having lost his latest battle with intestinal fortitude, and foregoing the good of the program for one more year of walking through quicksand ... well, OK - maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here. The focus does now shift to see what our genius smahtest-guy-in-da-room AD has up his sleeve for his paisan HC. Another cupcake schedule, and we'll know BS35+5 was implicit as the enabler-in-chief to get his pal to the NRN. Only a return to scheduling normalcy (i.e. not half of Atlantic Hockey at home) would signal the AD was less than implicit in continuing his *plan* to its logical conclusion, and just might not be so pleased with the return of the HC.

Make no mistake ... the last two seasons' worth of schedules were set up to artificially inflate UNH's standing in D-1, and should easily have ensured .500 finishes, even if the 'Cats were always going to be doomed to the lower half of HE. The idea that neither team really came all that close did leave the door open for our all-knowing AD to step in and pull the plug, and start the "new era" a year early. But that didn't happen. So next season is on you, BS35+5. As is Coach Souza's ultimate success, which is being increasingly sandbagged - also by you.

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF (PROJECTED): AIC (10/13/17); @ AIC (10/14/17)

CAN BS35+5 POSSIBLY MESS THIS UP ANY MORE THAN HE ALREADY HAS?

Does a bear do its business in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic? Was Walshy a cheatin' bast!d? Heck yes. In fact, the current situation is set up as almost a no-win proposition. Should UNH win 14 games next season? Heck yes, they absolutely should. 67% likelihood (see projection above) means a 2-in-3 chance of success at reaching the NRN. Cupcakes and marshmallows should appear in abundance on the 2017/2018 UNH Men's Hockey schedule, and the sugar content will be SO high that you'll think you got lost in a North End bakery. Unless of course BS35+5 really was hoping for Coach to fall on his own sword ... which seems unlikely, sure, but you don't get to be a genius AD with almost 40 years in the business without seeing things others might not see. But we'll get that answer soon enough.

But think about it. Your Hobey Baker offensive catalyst has played his last game for UNH. Your terrific-by-universal-acclaim captain and lead blueline performer, ditto. Apparently you think you have the horses on the blueline starting to trickle in next Fall, and that may be so. But that will be a time of the season where W's will be critical for the pursuit of the NRN. Again, there's going to be a need to accumulate about 10 wins before the calendar changes to 2018. And that's (improbably) proven elusive these last two seasons. "Hey, we won 15 games this season, WIS. Why so glum, chum?" OK, when did we win Game 14 - y'know, the one we're going to need to win next season to reach the NRN? "That would have been Game 3 of the silly round against Merrimack". Correct. So let's say UNH ends up in the same scenario next season, and they have to win their MBPBEGAM round outright. You going to bet the farm that the program - and the coach - who've historically struggled mightily in must-win scenarios, are gonna win that one? Or will we see the final, ultimate ... "Umiliation"?

Again, for the record ... I hope Coach rides off into the sunset with all that he can reasonably hope to achieve with his team in his final year at UNH. But even if he comes up short, WIS wants to point out that not making it to 600 is hardly a stain on Coach's standing as one of the all-time greats. Here's a list of greats who didn't quite make it to 600 either:

528 - Sir Alex Ferguson (coaching wins - all-time PL leader)
      511 - Cy Young (pitching wins - all-time MLB leader)
      486 - Ty Cobb (win shares - all-time MLB leader - for the stats geeks)
      377 - Bobby Bowden (coaching wins - all-time NCAA D-1 leader)
      328 - Don Shula (coaching wins - all-time NFL leader)
      229 - Willie Pep (wins - all-time boxing leader)
      200 - Richard Petty (race wins - all-time NASCAR leader)
      You left out:
      521 - Teddy "Ballgame" Williams (all-time leader in HRs as a Red Sox)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Hey, that's probably *only* $150,000 or so after taxes, Greg. Let's not exaggerate.

To answer your question honestly ... probably not. I guess it would come down to, "How much do I already have in the bank, and is another $150K going to be worth all of the time and aggravation of anything approaching the depths of the last two seasons?"
        $187,500 with the right accountant. If someone offered me that kind of money to do something I enjoyed doing, I'd be in as long as the task was legal, more or less ethical.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          Of course the ultimate irony would be that Umile brings home the NC and all of us post something like; "those people who wanted Umile gone were just fools."
          What if UNH is so good next year the NHL invites them to participate in the playoffs and they win the Stanley Cup!
          I went home with a waitress the way I always do
          How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

In the back of my mind is the question of why Umile said "no comment" on Sunday when asked if he was returning. Knowing now that this was already decided, he easily could have said "of course I'm returning." The no-comment seems to be the product of censoring himself from expressing anger that someone actually had the temerity to ask the question. Nobody speaks to the emperor that way!

Lost in the focus on Umile is this wonderful backhanded acknowledgement by Marty. Back in 2015 he created a process to keep everthing the same during the transition. Now, the 3 years was to "change the culture." (Yes, Marty, what better way to change culture than to keep the status quo). It's also comforting to know Marty seems to feel the need to note that Mike needs to "gain invaluable experience."

Adam W., since you are a good objective analyst, I would be interested for you to write a fuller article stating your case that he is presently a great coach (or has been the past 6 years). If he was presently one of the best coaches, why is UNH trending downward and Marty wanting to change the culture? It's easy to complain about armchair haters, but sometimes the price of access is not being able to speak the truth about your friends.
            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-16-2017, 08:10 AM.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              Notice how Mark and Adam W. focus on "history," and "class," and ignore the actual question of whether he is presently (or the past 6 years) the best for UNH. If he was presently one of the best coaches, why is UNH trending downward and Marty wanting to change the culture? It's nice of Adam W. to complain about armchair haters, but sometimes the price of access is not being able to speak the truth about your friends.
              Bingo.

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
              What if UNH is so good next year the NHL invites them to participate in the playoffs and they win the Stanley Cup!

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              The second sentence is the only answer, isn't it?
              Only if you're just in it for the money, Greg.

Comment

Say what you want about Dick Umile but I like the guy and one of the bigger regrets of any true fan of Hockey East will be that he will have left UNH without the big trophy.

Will be interesting to see UNH's post-Umile era and whether the losses in the big games were a staple of Dickie or just part of the UNH identity. I for one will be sad that we cannot use the term Umiliation for any future losses. (This is what it prob felt like for everyone to lose "1949").

Umiliations
                Not
                Happening anymore

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

how many rocking chairs or sweaters is he going to accumulate on his farewell tour?
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                    I can see that bullfrog flying now
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Watcher - you have a much higher opinion of Wodon than I do. I wouldn't call him good and he's never been objective when it comes to UNH. Following his work makes it clear he has never thought highly of UNH, the program or its ceiling. Any USCHO poster could start a website and be Adam Wodon.

He is among many in the media who have never given UNH full credit for the teams it has turned out in its history. He has always written about UNH as if it should consider itself fortunate to have any success. His take on Umile again illustrates his feelings that UNH should be happy to be decent (oh, to be decent again) and isn't worthy of aspiring to the levels of the elite programs in HE. I don't recall CHN positions that Jack Parker and Mike Eaves were mistreated and deserved to finish on their own terms? Why not? Because Wodon thinks those programs are deserving of wanting and expecting to win...

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, with the right coach in place (despite all of the lame excuses made for why they can't compete) UNH is a college hockey power. TWO eras have proven that. The program and the fans have the right to expect more than what they've been given recently. Wodon's dismissal of that is pathetic.

He isn't one to take reality into account when forming his opinions. Which is completely evident in his TK doesn't belong near even the Hobey top-ten take. He made the argument you asked for on Twitter and it was not the take I believe you were looking for...

He claims Umile deserves to stay because only the last two years have been horrible and UNH is 37 games over .500 in the last TEN years. He wants you to remember, Watcher, that you are a UNH fan and 18-15-3 or so is all you should expect on average. Deal with it.

But let's take a closer look at his argument...

Wodon says, "UNH is 37 games over .500 in last ten years. A stretch that includes 2 hockey east titles and five NCAA tournaments. Only last two years not good."

This is an incredible display of cherry picking stats. First of all, UNH's two HE regular season titles came eight and ten years ago. That's ancient history. UNH has only made the NCAA tournament once in the last six years! Their record over those last six seasons - eight games under .500 (saved by one good season in 12-13). Over the last three seasons UNH is 14 games under. His argument is completely disingenuous - his utter lack of respect for what we see on the ice as fans not withstanding...

Anyone with even a superficial understanding of the program's current state knows a change needs to be made and the sooner the better. Wodon simply doesn't even have that level of understanding. All he knows is Umile was good and is nice.

Umile did amazing things at UNH. He brought the program to new heights. He rescued a struggling program. Unfortunately, he's left Souza in a position where he'll have to do the same thing. The sooner the transition, the better for the program. Simple as that.

It's not disrespectful or snarky or bad fandom to recognize that...
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Good call, Dan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Watcher - you have a much higher opinion of Wodom than I do. I wouldn't call him good and he's never been objective when it comes to UNH. Following his work makes it clear he has never thought highly of UNH, the program or its ceiling. Any USCHO poster could start a website and be Adam Wodon.

He is among many in the media who have never given UNH full credit for the teams it has turned out in its history. He has always written about UNH as if it should consider itself fortunate to have any success. His take on Umile again illustrates his feelings that UNH should be happy to be decent (oh, to be decent again) and isn't worthy of aspiring to the levels of the elite programs in HE. I don't recall CHN positions that Jack Parker and Mike Eaves were mistreated and deserved to finish on their own terms? Why not? Because Wodon thinks those programs are deserving of wanting and expecting to win...

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, with the right coach in place (despite all of the lame excuses made for why they can't compete) UNH is a college hockey power. TWO eras have proven that. The program and the fans have the right to expect more than what they've been given recently. Wodon's dismissal of that is pathetic.

He isn't one to take reality into account when forming his opinions. Which is completely evident in his TK modest belong near even the Hobey top-ten take. He made the argument you asked for on Twitter and it was not the take I believe you were looking for...

He claims Umile deserves to stay because only the last two years have been horrible and UNH is 37 games over .500 in the last TEN years. He wants you to remember, Watcher, that you are a UNH fan and 18-15 is all you should expect on average. Deal with it.

Wodon says, "UNH is 37 games over .500 in last ten years. A stretch that includes 2 hockey east titles and five NCAA tournaments. Only last two years not good."

This is an incredible display of cherry picking stats. First of all, UNH's two HE regular season titles came eight and ten years ago. That's ancient history. UNH has only made the NCAA tournament once in the last six years! Their record over those last six seasons - doc games under .500 (saved by one good season in 12-13). Over the last three seasons UNH is 14 games under. His argument is completely disingenuous - his utter lack of respect for what we see on the ice as fans not withstanding...

Anyone with even a superficial understanding of the program's current state knows a change needs to be made and the sooner the better. Wo don simply doesn't even have that level of understanding. All he knows is Umile was good and is nice.

Umile dos amazing things at UNH. He brought the program to new heights. He rescued the a struggling. Unfortunately, he's left Souza in a position where he'll have to do the same thing. The sooner the transition, the better for the program. Simple as that.

Awesome post Dan...even this newbie fan can see the truth. And he (Wodon) isn't the only one who's written unfavorably about UNH over the years; they know who they are and I believe they have relished in the down turn ofthe program at the expense of the coach and the players!!
                          Do they honestly not think we read their "stories" and their tweets?

So to call out the fans for voicing their displeasure at not making the HE semis or missing out in a Regional that we are hosting (again) is ridiculous. My guess is they don't want to see UNH have any real success on the big
                          stage; they would have to begrudgingly acknowledged it and it might just kill them. Amateurs.
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-16-2017, 10:58 AM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Watcher - you have a much higher opinion of Wodon than I do. I wouldn't call him good and he's never been objective. Any USCHO poster could start a website and be Adam Wodon.
                            I can't disagree with anything I quoted above. Good for him, he is an advocate of college hockey and has started/worked on some websites.

Things start to get murky when we start discussing the ceiling of UNH and what they should be happy for.
                            Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-16-2017, 11:13 AM.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Watcher - you have a much higher opinion of Wodon than I do. I wouldn't call him good and he's never been objective when it comes to UNH. Following his work makes it clear he has never thought highly of UNH, the program or its ceiling. Any USCHO poster could start a website and be Adam Wodon.

He isn't one to take reality into account when forming his opinions. Which is completely evident in his TK doesn't belong near even the Hobey top-ten take. He made the argument you asked for on Twitter and it was not the take I believe you were looking for...

He claims Umile deserves to stay because only the last two years have been horrible and UNH is 37 games over .500 in the last TEN years. He wants you to remember, Watcher, that you are a UNH fan and 18-15-3 or so is all you should expect on average. Deal with it.

This is an incredible display of cherry picking stats. First of all, UNH's two HE regular season titles came eight and ten years ago. That's ancient history. UNH has only made the NCAA tournament once in the last six years! Their record over those last six seasons - eight games under .500 (saved by one good season in 12-13). Over the last three seasons UNH is 14 games under. His argument is completely disingenuous - his utter lack of respect for what we see on the ice as fans not withstanding...

Anyone with even a superficial understanding of the program's current state knows a change needs to be made and the sooner the better. Wodon simply doesn't even have that level of understanding. All he knows is Umile was good and is nice.

Umile did amazing things at UNH. He brought the program to new heights. He rescued a struggling program. Unfortunately, he's left Souza in a position where he'll have to do the same thing. The sooner the transition, the better for the program. Simple as that.

Absolutely 100% spot on. UNH should and will be a hockey power again - they have the support, the facilities and the tradition to get them back but it wont be under Umile. UNH isnt going to be reloading they are going to be rebuilding after next year. The wave of Souza recruits will be coming in a few years and thats when the UNH program will have to hope to start getting back to National Champion contenders. The only positive I can take out of this is that Souza being an assistant for another year will have the ability to go out and recruit his type of players firsthand.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                I can't disagree with anything I quoted above. Good for him, he is an advocate of college hockey and has started/worked on some websites.

Things start to get murky when we start discussing the ceiling of UNH and what they should be happy for.
                                It's funny, because I was literally going to write, "Nick P could start a website and give you Adam Wodon. At least his dismissal, mockery and backhanded compliments of UNH would be much more clever and entertaining."

Haha, I like you Nick and I suppose it depends on you definition of a power program. Can they run dynasties of multiple national titles in short spans? Maybe not, very few can or do.

Can they return to competing for HE championships on a year in and year out basis, regular 20+ win seasons and being a mainstay in the NCAA tournament and a threat for frozen fours and a title? Absolutely. They've been that program for long stretches twice.

Nothing has changed in regard to the tremendous experience UNH can offer recruits. It still an extremely attractive destination in the hands of the right salesman. While new challengers have arisen, old foes have similarly fallen off.

The excuses that have permeated the program of what they don't have, why they can't compete on the ice or for recruits are bogus. They are the rationalizations of failure and they give the naysayers reason to believe in their assertion that UNH is a lesser program. They are not reality in the hands of the right coach. Umile was the right coach. He isn't anymore.

Here's where UNH is different from BC - to some degree BC sells itself better. UNH needs the RIGHT guy. Someone who truly believes and can just go get it. When York retires their new coach can will have more of a margin for error being at BC. There are likely more coaches who could win at BC than UNH, but there are plenty who could win big in either spot.

UNH gets the right guy and they're back. If they don't, who knows. Is Souxa the right guy?? If he isn't will Scarano make a coaching decision based on winning percentage or will he let the program flounder in mediocrity. He almost never fires coaches, which is why I'm not surprised in the least Umile is back...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X