X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Question is would UNH pay him if he stepped down? I'm 50/50 on this. On one hand Umile has always been a fighter and not a quitter so I can see a side of him that says, "no, I'm sticking it out." ON the other hand, he selected Souza to be the coach (at least I think he did)and you would think his loyalty to a former player would or could hold sway. We'll never know but, if UNH said take the money and leave, and he didn't, well I'd be disappointed. But I don't think that was in the cards.
    So you feel better that he is only in this for the money?

Let's parse the bs in the release
    DURHAM, N.H. – University of New Hampshire director of athletics Marty Scarano announced Wednesday that UNH men's hockey Head Coach Dick Umile will retire following the 2017-18 season. Associate Head Coach Mike Souza will become the head coach at that time.
    I remember the 2015 release saying Mike would have an opportunity if things continue going as expected. Apparently, running the program into the ground with two 10th place finishes is exactly what they had in mind to entitle Mike to the job.

"Coach Umile and I spoke about how this next season will be spent continuing the effort to re-build UNH hockey into a national caliber program that competes in the NCAA tournament and the Frozen Four," Scarano said. "That has been, and always will be, our aspiration. We are fortunate to have Mike Souza here changing the culture in recruiting and gaining more invaluable experience to become the 14th head coach of UNH hockey at the completion of the 2017-18 season."

"I'm excited to come back for the final season of my contract and still have a strong desire to win," Umile said. "With a strong nucleus returning and exciting newcomers on the way, we are determined to get UNH hockey back to the level of annually competing in the NCAA tournament."

"We look forward to the challenge of reaching NCAAs next year and our focus is on having the program in great shape when Mike Souza takes over as head coach," Umile said.
    Are you delusional enough to think a 10th place team that loses its main scorer and Hobey candidate, and its sole decent defenseman, has NCAA aspirations? Let me stop laughing.

Umile, who just completed his 27th season as head coach in 2016-17, is ranked ninth all-time and fourth among active Division I head coaches in victories (586), and his .611 winning percentage ranks 11th among active D-I coaches.
    Oh, is he really at 586 wins? Wow, that is surprisingly close to 600 wins.

"Dick Umile is one of collegiate hockey's iconic coaches and, in many ways, is in fact 'UNH Hockey'," Scarano said.
    Yes, Dick Umile has worked hard to portray himself as UNH hockey. Keep repeating it enough.

"I am confident next season will be one in which we build from within, make inroads in recruiting and continue to bolster an exciting future."
    Yes, what better way to make inroads in recruiting than having a deadweight 68 year old coach who barely cared about recruiting when the potential recruits might play for him. Let's instead hang another 10th place finish for Mike to trot out on the road, trying to recruit when its not really his strength, while working without the benefit of an assistant who might actually have that skill.

That Umile is willing to drag Souza down with him, solely to earn that last buck, says a lot about him.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

There's a difference between having a seat at the table, which is essentially what I said, and having a hand in bringing Scarano in, which implies that he was part of a recruiting process. Although Scarano had worked at Colgate, when he got to UNH he had to get up to speed when it came to hockey. I think we can all agree he has badly managed the hockey culture during his reign, now going on 17 years.
      True, true. No disrespect, but my opinion is that Umile had a lot of political capital then and could have vetoed Scarano if he wanted to. With the events that have just transpired it'$ obvious, to me anyway, that Umile is still in control of his own destiny and Scarano is just a puppet on a string!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        True, true. No disrespect, but my opinion is that Umile had a lot of political capital then and could have vetoed Scarano if he wanted to. With the events that have just transpired it'$ obvious, to me anyway, that Umile is still in control of his own destiny and Scarano is just a puppet on a string!
        Like I said...Umile holds the cards. Or appears to. Of course doubt we will never know what went down.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          That Umile is willing to drag Souza down with him, solely to earn that last buck, says a lot about him.
          That's really my big takeaway from today's *news* as well.

Well, The Quest will be back, and there will be new levels of satire to be scaled from here on out.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Funny how the tweets from some hockey bloggers are calling out those who disapprove of the decision as "haters" yet they are the same people who have criticized UNH hockey, both players and coaches in their tweets and blog posts? Ho hum.
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-15-2017, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              So you feel better that he is only in this for the money?.
              Reread my post. Especially the part where I say that I would be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Like I said...Umile holds the cards. Or appears to. Of course doubt we will never know what went down.
                Of course the ultimate irony would be that Umile brings home the NC and all of us post something like; "those people who wanted Umile gone were just fools."

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  He did sign a three year contract, with year two just finished. Not sure how Umile is the puppeteer if he and Marty agreed to the terms. They did, didn't they? This take is reminiscent of 17 years ago when some whined that Umile was holding up UNH for more money by negotiating with UMass.

Look, as I said before, I'd be disappointed if Umile refused to take the money and still retire. But I'd also be disappointed if UNH said, no, you have to coach in order to receive the money. I suppose two years ago Marty could have fired Umile, he's certainly wasn't averse to doing it in other sports. The three year deal was a compromise solution. And usually compromise solutions don't please diehards on either side of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    That's really my big takeaway from today's *news* as well.

Well, The Quest will be back, and there will be new levels of satire to be scaled from here on out.
                    Chuck, would you forego 250,000 bucks?. And don't lie.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      Of course the ultimate irony would be that Umile brings home the NC and all of us post something like; "those people who wanted Umile gone were just fools."
                      ....Bring it on then!! As an umpire and teacher for 30 plus years I have been called worse 😳
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-15-2017, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        ....Bring it on then!! As an umpire and teacher for 30 plus years I have been called worse 😳
                        Ha! Me three

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Not sure exactly what we are going to do when the season ticket renewal arrives later this year....I may just become a b-ball fan instead.
                          UNH

Comment

Chuck, would you forego 250,000 bucks?. And don't lie.
                            Hey, that's probably *only* $150,000 or so after taxes, Greg. Let's not exaggerate.

To answer your question honestly ... probably not. I guess it would come down to, "How much do I already have in the bank, and is another $150K going to be worth all of the time and aggravation of anything approaching the depths of the last two seasons?" Does a guy with 7 figures in the bank (assuming at least $37K saved annually on a $250K+ salary during his 27 yr. tenure at UNH), plus a State pension and benefits that few in the private sector could ever hope to match ... really need the money that badly? God, I sure hope not - that would be scary.

If I wanted to have my cake and eat it too, I'd be saying "I'm ready to go, Marty", 24/7 as publicly and as often as possible ... and secretly hoping the AD offers to buy me out for all or a good part of next season's salary.

He can't be so blind that he can't see the last two seasons - despite having a cupcake degree of difficulty - have been the two worst years of his career, back to back. He can't be so blind as to understand his own reduced role in the program, and his detachment from it compared to his younger days, has been a major contributor to these problems.

And if I was somehow ever put in a position where I was allowed to choose my own successor, I would like to think I would be invested in that successor's, y'know ... success? The last two seasons already have arguably done enough damage to Coach Souza's long term chance at success ... and yet we're about to embark on Year Three of the "Road to Nowhere". And why? Is it for the money, or just for the NRN??

One would like to think that Coach Umile - who 20 years ago this month, quite literally had to come to terms with his own mortality - would look back and reflect at how blessed he has been to not only continue, but to thrive at something that once upon a time, he was among the best in his profession at. But it's been awhile since the word "thrive" could be connected with the UNH program, and it's been even longer now since anyone objectively included him as amongst the best at his craft. So now he is just continuing. Apparently, "just because" ...

... or perhaps just the afterglow of a long ago dream that's proving quite difficult to let go ...

Oh, to sail away
                            To sandy lands and other days
                            Oh, to touch the dream
                            Hides inside and never seen

Into the sun, the south, the north
                            At last the birds have flown
                            The shackles of commitment fell
                            In pieces on the ground

Oh, to ride the wind
                            To tread the air above the din
                            Oh, to laugh aloud
                            Dancing as we fought the crowds

To seek the man whose pointing hand
                            The giant step unfolds
                            With guidance from the curving path
                            That churns up into stone

If one bell should ring
                            In celebration for a king
                            So fast the heart should beat
                            As proud the head with heavy feet

Days went by when you and I
                            Bathed in eternal summer's glow
                            As far away and distant
                            Our mutual child did grow

Oh the sweet refrain
                            Soothes the soul and calms the pain
                            Oh Albion remains
                            Sleeping now to rise again
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Hey, that's probably *only* $150,000 or so after taxes, Greg. Let's not exaggerate.

To answer your question honestly ... probably not. I guess it would come down to, "How much do I already have in the bank, and is another $150K going to be worth all of the time and aggravation of anything approaching the depths of the last two seasons?" Does a guy with 7 figures in the bank (assuming at least $37K saved annually on a $250K+ salary during his 27 yr. tenure at UNH), plus a State pension and benefits that few in the private sector could ever hope to match ... really need the money that badly? God, I sure hope not - that would be scary.

If I wanted to have my cake and eat it too, I'd be saying "I'm ready to go, Marty", 24/7 as publicly and as often as possible ... and secretly hoping the AD offers to buy me out for all or a good part of next season's salary.

He can't be so blind that he can't see the last two seasons - despite having a cupcake degree of difficulty - have been the two worst years of his career, back to back. He can't be so blind as to understand his own reduced role in the program, and his detachment from it compared to his younger days, has been a major contributor to these problems.

And if I was somehow ever put in a position where I was allowed to choose my own successor, I would like to think I would be invested in that successor's, y'know ... success? The last two seasons already have arguably done enough damage to Coach Souza's long term chance at success ... and yet we're about to embark on Year Three of the "Road to Nowhere". And why? Is it for the money, or just for the NRN??

One would like to think that Coach Umile - who 20 years ago this month, quite literally had to come to terms with his own mortality - would look back and reflect at how blessed he has been to not only continue, but to thrive at something that once upon a time, he was among the best in his profession at. But it's been awhile since the word "thrive" could be connected with the UNH program, and it's been even longer now since anyone objectively included him as amongst the best at his craft. So now he is just continuing. Apparently, "just because" ...

... or perhaps just the afterglow of a long ago dream that's proving quite difficult to let go ...

Oh, to sail away
                              To sandy lands and other days
                              Oh, to touch the dream
                              Hides inside and never seen

Into the sun, the south, the north
                              At last the birds have flown
                              The shackles of commitment fell
                              In pieces on the ground

Oh, to ride the wind
                              To tread the air above the din
                              Oh, to laugh aloud
                              Dancing as we fought the crowds

To seek the man whose pointing hand
                              The giant step unfolds
                              With guidance from the curving path
                              That churns up into stone

If one bell should ring
                              In celebration for a king
                              So fast the heart should beat
                              As proud the head with heavy feet

Days went by when you and I
                              Bathed in eternal summer's glow
                              As far away and distant
                              Our mutual child did grow

Oh the sweet refrain
                              Soothes the soul and calms the pain
                              Oh Albion remains
                              Sleeping now to rise again
                              The second sentence is the only answer, isn't it?

Comment

Limoges to Penn State...

Comment

Working...
                                X