X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Excellent! Now, who will be the AHC and EZAC cupcakes for our NRN quest?
    An AHC team for the home opener, a couple ECAC teams in Durham and a two game trip out west would flesh out the OOC
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
      An AHC team for the home opener, a couple ECAC teams in Durham and a two game trip out west would flesh out the OOC
      Which would probably be Dartmouth, Clsrkson and St Lawrence, and the annual pre Thanksgiving clunker with RPI? Oh yeah the two with Yale. Mix in a Sacred Heart type of team. Reading other boards the HE schedule will have us play some teams 3 times...
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        What if they are going to start implementing Souza system and Umile is going to take one for the team? It would essentially buy MS and MS (BS35+?) an entire year. Umile could be the fall guy for what is going to be a rough year no matter what, maybe get to the NRN and get paid a pile of money - win, win, win. MS & MS would then be on the clock starting 2018-2019, while potentially having the jump start the Umile himself was given by Coady's recruiting.

It is a long shot, a bit of a fairy tale, and a much happier spin to the current dysfunction. In this make believe version everybody has the best of intentions. This is what the off season is about, discussing things to absurdity
        JB, with a lot of the 7 person junior class graduating in 2018 (including both goalies), 2018-19 might be a rebuilding year. Wouldn't it also make sense for Captain Dick to take the bullet for Mike that year too?
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          JB, with a lot of the 7 person junior class graduating in 2018 (including both goalies), 2018-19 might be a rebuilding year. Wouldn't it also make sense for Captain Dick to take the bullet for Mike that year too?
          'Watcher - please delete this post immediately before *someone* we all know (and wish nothing but the best for in his forthcoming overdue retirement) reads it, and starts getting some weird ideas.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• From Maine's thread
            Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            Getting off topic, but here are the total compensations I have from NCAA reports:
            Hockey East (6 of 6 public schools)
            UML - Coach Bazin, $489,315 (2016)
            UNH- Coach Umile, $457,797 (2016)
            Vermont - Coach Sneddon, $336,811 (2014)
            Maine - Coach Gendron, $330,872 (includes $5,000 from third parties)(2016)
            UMass - Coach Micheletto, $303,983 (2016)
            UConn - Coach Cavanaugh, $296,599 (2016)

Big Ten (5 of 6 public schools)
            Minnesota - Coach Lucia, $837,644 (2016)
            Michigan - Coach Berenson, $527,394 (2015)
            Wisconsin - Coach Eaves, $471,985 (2016)
            MSU - Coach Anastos, $433,121 (2015)
            Ohio State - Coach Rohlik, $364,048 (2016)

NCHC (4 of 8 public schools)
            WMU- Coach Murray, $681,838 (2016)
            Miami - Coach Blasi, $491,535 (2016)
            UND - Coach Berry, $474,504 (2016)
            Omaha - Coach Blais, $371,355 (2014)

WCHA (6 of 10 public schools)
            Michigan Tech - Coach Pearson, $441,033 (2016)
            Alaska-Anchorage, Coach Thomas, $258,251 (2014)
            Bowling Green - Coach Bergeron, $250,666 (2016)
            Alaska - Coach Ferguson, $227,621 (2014)
            Bemidji State - Coach Serratore, $210,163 (2015)
            Lake Superior - Coach Whitten, $172,128 (2015)

Independent (1 of 1 public school)
            Arizona State - Coach Powers, $331,862 (2016)

Sean
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Which would probably be Dartmouth, Clsrkson and St Lawrence, and the annual pre Thanksgiving clunker with RPI? Oh yeah the two with Yale. Mix in a Sacred Heart type of team. Reading other boards the HE schedule will have us play some teams 3 times...
              It's a quiet Monday morning as dawn breaks over the sleepy Mount Hood Golf Course, while two middle-aged men shuffle together off the first tee to seek out their wayward tee shots, both of which have been badly hooked past the treeline under a remote cluster of pines, as if intentionally. Their amiable chatter wanders over familiar ground, but eventually veers from sentimentality to concerns of the men over what the future may have in store for each of them. The older, squeakier of the men pulls the cart over to the treeline, and ushers his guest into the privacy of the woods to continue the discussion ...

DU: Buttons, what can I tellya. Gettin' close to 50 yeahs now since I hung up the skates. Seems like yestaday.
              JB: Same here, Coach. Miss it every day. You know, we're lucky guys, still in the game though after all this time.
              DU: Yeah, you got dat right. Hey - Mahty told me you got a big anniversary thing comin' up soon ...
              JB: Sure do. Hitting the big 35 year anniversary in college sports administration ...
              DU: ... and 20 as Hockey East commish too, if my numbahs are on the mahk ...
              JB: ... yeah, that too. Leave it to Marty to be thinking in terms of 35 years, though ...
              DU: ... tell me about it, Joey. He's pushin' 40 on dat front soon. Nevah lets any of us fuggedaboudit.
              JB: Y'know, Richie .... there's an art to pencil-pushing. It's harder than it looks sometimes.
              DU: Same with what I do, Buttons. But dey won't have good ol' Dick to kick around anymoh soon ...
              JB: ... hey, congrats on the upcoming retirement, Coach. I'm getting out of this racket in 3 years myself.
              DU: Gotta love dose tree yeah exit strategies. Gives you time ta take inventory on things.
              JB: You got any plans, Coach?
              DU: Not really, Joey. Other than playin' a little more golf ... coachin' is all I know. Tough ta move on.
              JB: Me too. Hey, is Marty planning to do anything to celebrate your run at the U?
              DU: I dunno ... probably depends on how things go dis season. Almost didn't come back ...
              JB: ... and leave money on table? No way. You're kidding ...
              DU: no, really, I almost didn't. Serious as a haht attack, Joey. But I came ta my senses.
              JB: Glad to hear that. The old place wouldn't be the same without you. Legacy is important.

As if a switch was flipped, the older man wistfully gazes upwards to the sky, and with a single tear running down his weathered face and onto a brand new turtleneck, his now-cracking voice betrayed a previously concealed but deep mix of emotions, as the younger man quickly reached for a handkerchief for his seemingly distressed second ...

JB: Hey, is everything OK, Coach? Was it something I said?
              DU: (wiping away the tear, refusing the hanky) Nah, not you Joey. Just thinkin' about my own legacy a little more than usual. Y'know, we did some really great things in my time up theah. I think a lotta people kinda fohgot. All they remembah is what we didn't do, y'know? I just got one yeah left ta remind 'em ...
              JB: ... I'm sure you will, Coach. Hey, we got rid of that a-hole Jackson and his program, eh?
              DU: (sniffling) Yeah, won't be sorry to see the backside of that bast!d. Hey, remembah what we did for you?
              JB:
              DU: ... y'know, right befoah you became commish, and we set it up wit you and da librarian for yoah papahs? Heah, look at this (showing his younger colleague his I-phone) ...

https://www.library.unh.edu/find/arc...pers-1976-1996

JB: Oh, yeah - that's right. Almost forgot. That was mighty accommodating of you, Richie.
              DU: Just an accommodation for a pal. Friends do dat for each othah, y'know? Hey, dat library guy, he passed last yeah I think? Willed his dough to Tommy, then Mahty spunked it on a football stadium scoahboahd. The locals went nutso. Funny how folks react to dat stuff.
              JB: No kidding ...
              DU: ... so I was thinkin' ... y'know, I gotta get my wins total to the next round numbah ...
              JB: ... so I've been reading ...
              DU: ... and I noticed with Jeff leavin' da league, we gotta move around some of ah league games, right?
              JB: ... (light goes off in his head) ... say no more, Richie (shakes his hand). I'll take care of this. Count on it.
              DU: (relieved and grateful) ... I knew I could count on ya, Buttons. Just make 'em home games too, right.
              JB: Of course. Just make sure I get invited up for the big occasion.
              DU: You betcha, Joey. (turning back to the golf) Hey, you go hit first, I think yoah away on this one.
              JB: Gotcha. Will do. Cupcakes on you when we get back to the clubhouse, right?
              DU: You betcha, Commish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                It's a quiet Monday morning as dawn breaks over the sleepy Mount Hood Golf Course, while two middle-aged men shuffle together off the first tee to seek out their wayward tee shots, both of which have been badly hooked past the treeline under a remote cluster of pines, as if intentionally. Their amiable chatter wanders over familiar ground, but eventually veers from sentimentality to concerns of the men over what the future may have in store for each of them. The older, squeakier of the men pulls the cart over to the treeline, and ushers his guest into the privacy of the woods to continue the discussion ...

DU: Buttons, what can I tellya. Gettin' close to 50 yeahs now since I hung up the skates. Seems like yestaday.
                JB: Same here, Coach. Miss it every day. You know, we're lucky guys, still in the game though after all this time.
                DU: Yeah, you got dat right. Hey - Mahty told me you got a big anniversary thing comin' up soon ...
                JB: Sure do. Hitting the big 35 year anniversary in college sports administration ...
                DU: ... and 20 as Hockey East commish too, if my numbahs are on the mahk ...
                JB: ... yeah, that too. Leave it to Marty to be thinking in terms of 35 years, though ...
                DU: ... tell me about it, Joey. He's pushin' 40 on dat front soon. Nevah lets any of us fuggedaboudit.
                JB: Y'know, Richie .... there's an art to pencil-pushing. It's harder than it looks sometimes.
                DU: Same with what I do, Buttons. But dey won't have good ol' Dick to kick around anymoh soon ...
                JB: ... hey, congrats on the upcoming retirement, Coach. I'm getting out of this racket in 3 years myself.
                DU: Gotta love dose tree yeah exit strategies. Gives you time ta take inventory on things.
                JB: You got any plans, Coach?
                DU: Not really, Joey. Other than playin' a little more golf ... coachin' is all I know. Tough ta move on.
                JB: Me too. Hey, is Marty planning to do anything to celebrate your run at the U?
                DU: I dunno ... probably depends on how things go dis season. Almost didn't come back ...
                JB: ... and leave money on table? No way. You're kidding ...
                DU: no, really, I almost didn't. Serious as a haht attack, Joey. But I came ta my senses.
                JB: Glad to hear that. The old place wouldn't be the same without you. Legacy is important.

As if a switch was flipped, the older man wistfully gazes upwards to the sky, and with a single tear running down his weathered face and onto a brand new turtleneck, his now-cracking voice betrayed a previously concealed but deep mix of emotions, as the younger man quickly reached for a handkerchief for his seemingly distressed second ...

JB: Hey, is everything OK, Coach? Was it something I said?
                DU: (wiping away the tear, refusing the hanky) Nah, not you Joey. Just thinkin' about my own legacy a little more than usual. Y'know, we did some really great things in my time up theah. I think a lotta people kinda fohgot. All they remembah is what we didn't do, y'know? I just got one yeah left ta remind 'em ...
                JB: ... I'm sure you will, Coach. Hey, we got rid of that a-hole Jackson and his program, eh?
                DU: (sniffling) Yeah, won't be sorry to see the backside of that bast!d. Hey, remembah what we did for you?
                JB:
                DU: ... y'know, right befoah you became commish, and we set it up wit you and da librarian for yoah papahs? Heah, look at this (showing his younger colleague his I-phone) ...

https://www.library.unh.edu/find/arc...pers-1976-1996

JB: Oh, yeah - that's right. Almost forgot. That was mighty accommodating of you, Richie.
                DU: Just an accommodation for a pal. Friends do dat for each othah, y'know? Hey, dat library guy, he passed last yeah I think? Willed his dough to Tommy, then Mahty spunked it on a football stadium scoahboahd. The locals went nutso. Funny how folks react to dat stuff.
                JB: No kidding ...
                DU: ... so I was thinkin' ... y'know, I gotta get my wins total to the next round numbah ...
                JB: ... so I've been reading ...
                DU: ... and I noticed with Jeff leavin' da league, we gotta move around some of ah league games, right?
                JB: ... (light goes off in his head) ... say no more, Richie (shakes his hand). I'll take care of this. Count on it.
                DU: (relieved and grateful) ... I knew I could count on ya, Buttons. Just make 'em home games too, right.
                JB: Of course. Just make sure I get invited up for the big occasion.
                DU: You betcha, Joey. (turning back to the golf) Hey, you go hit first, I think yoah away on this one.
                JB: Gotcha. Will do. Cupcakes on you when we get back to the clubhouse, right?
                DU: You betcha, Commish.
                It's great to know that I can always come here for my morning comedic relief!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  From Maine's thread
                  Good to know my local plumber and car mechanic make more than some(most maybe) of these coaches. This is why I didn't go into coaching! These guys aren't in it for the money anyway.*

*Yeah right!!
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Chuck, was glad I could give you some fodder for your post!!! Speaking of cupcake scheduling, from the schedules thread looks like we are playing the Black Bears 4 times; twice at UMaine, once in Portland (?) and I assume the home 'white out the 'Whitt' game? I've heard the UNH schedule is done; of course, it'll be released who knows when Happy Easter btw!
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-16-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Chuck, was glad I could give you some fodder for your post!!! Speaking of cupcake scheduling, from the schedules thread looks like we are playing the Black Bears 4 times; twice at UMaine, once in Portland (?) and I assume the home 'white out the 'Whitt' game? I've heard the UNH schedule is done; of course, it'll be released who knows when Happy Easter btw!
                      Don't think there is a fourth Maine game this season. From the Maine off season thread:

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Close. Don't know what happened to Princeton, but I love that Maine plays @RPI early. Two very winnable road games so the players can get that monkey off the back right off the bat. UNH is gone (yay!) but no homecoming. So far Maine has no home games during winter break. The opponents on the OOC schedule have an average rank of 34.

Dates that we know at this time:
                      Oct 6-7 UConn (league games)
                      Oct 13-14 @RPI
                      Oct 20-21 Miami
                      Oct 27-28 UMD
                      Nov 24 Providence (league game, Friendship Four)
                      Nov 25 Clarkson/RPI (Friendship Four)
                      Dec 8-9 @Quinnipiac
                      Dec 30 @Brown
                      As far as the UNH OOC schedule goes, I'm underwhelmed to this point, though obviously that could change. Despite the fact that I have poked fun at the saccharine laced nature of last year's schedule I really thought it was an aberration. To this point we know half of next season's games. Two against #32 in PWR last season, two against #39, one against #43. Was hoping there might be the possibility they could play UMD in the Ledyard, but I've read those matchups are predetermined. Pretty sure there also has to be at least one AHC team lurking on the schedule, cheapening it even more. What will really disappoint me is if there is no western trip for the second year in a row. I took a quick look and I believe that 2016-17 was the first time since 92-93 that there was no OOC trip out west. Two years in a row would be a disgrace and would lend credence to Darius' thought that the current scheduling decisions are financially based.
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                        Don't think there is a fourth Maine game this season. From the Maine off season thread:

As far as the UNH OOC schedule goes, I'm underwhelmed to this point, though obviously that could change. Despite the fact that I have poked fun at the saccharine laced nature of last year's schedule I really thought it was an aberration. To this point we know half of next season's games. Two against #32 in PWR last season, two against #39, one against #43. Was hoping there might be the possibility they could play UMD in the Ledyard, but I've read those matchups are predetermined. Pretty sure there also has to be at least one AHC team lurking on the schedule, cheapening it even more. What will really disappoint me is if there is no western trip for the second year in a row. I took a quick look and I believe that 2016-17 was the first time since 92-93 that there was no OOC trip out west. Two years in a row would be a disgrace and would lend credence to Darius' thought that the current scheduling decisions are financially based.
                        Well heck you gotta pay for that stadium across the street (and no, I do not have a problem with the football stadium being built) and with 'Whitt hockey tix sales way, way down it's no wonder. But I have no clue what drives a schedule of course but you (and Darius) are most likely correct in your assumptions. Plus one has to wonder who in the top PWR wants to play us but I see that didn't stop some of Maine's OOC teams on their schedule.

Anyway...thought we were playing one at the Portland/Cross Civic Center? Can't believe we give up a Maine home game? Sorry to be so dim about it I honestly do not know and appreciate the info. Will there be no (gasp) game at the SNHU Center (formerly Verizon) this season? As per the Ledyard and your comments I believe we are on tap to play Yale in the opener. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                          Felgie, I guess I'm only surprised that YOU are surprised about ANY of this.

With all due respect to Darius ... any financial savings realized as a result of the recent "cupcake" trend will be purely coincidental, and may even be there as a cover story/diversion for what appears to be a concerted effort to get Coach to the NRN, have a feel good moment to celebrate towards the end of the season, and spare soon-to-be BS35+5 and his paisan some (avoidable) embarrassment as the former patiently ushers the latter towards a pre-arranged curtain call.

Happy Easter, everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            ...any financial savings realized as a result of the recent "cupcake" trend will be purely coincidental...
                            Alaska, MN, MI, CO, OH cupcakes taste just as good as north east cupcakes, but are more expensive. Some also have limited travel budgets limiting their ability to reciprocate with a Whitt trip the following year.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Alaska, MN, MI, CO, OH cupcakes taste just as good as north east cupcakes, but are more expensive. Some also have limited travel budgets limiting their ability to reciprocate with a Whitt trip the following year.
                              No limiting budget for Air Force (CO) to reciprocate with trip back to Lake Whitt. And, now that Starrett has graduated, perhaps we would have a chance?

Comment

UNH
                                Umile, Richard C
                                HEAD HOCKEY COACH

This is from UNH salary schedule for year ending June 2016. I do not think he makes the difference from hockey camps etc to get to 457000+.

Comment

Working...
                                X