X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    I do not follow recruiting efforts of other teams but for those who might/do (Dan, 'Watcher) does BU simply "re-load" each season? How many Kellers/McAvoys/Greenways can there possibly be for them to recruit on a yearly basis? Answer: plenty. Teams like BU will rarely see the 4 year guy and you can say that Grizz was one but was that his choice, or the Bruins? (I dunno that's why I'm asking)

Remembering their transition year (Parker to Quinn) in 2013-14 when we did sweep BU? That was nice. Of course...Eichel comes in the next season and they go to the FF (we split with them that year; we had a 4-0 lead going into the 3rd but they managed to score 3 quick ones somehow we held on to win) so UNH has done well against them. This season I'd agree with Darius' comments and it was well evidenced at the game in Durham especially that they just turned it on and that was that. Good teams find a way to win and...you get it.

Yeah JB...winning games is fun and going to tournaments like the Regional/HE semi's etc is fun and I wouldn't mind that one bit....
    I could be wrong, but I think Chris Drury was a four year guy. Probably many others I just don't know or have the interest in looking it up. Maybe Quinn (MIGHT HAVE BEEN A FOUR YEAR GUY HIMSELF?) feels a lot of pressure to win it all quickly and the recruiting philosophy has changed under him. Dunno the answer to that.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      I could be wrong, but I think Chris Drury was a four year guy. Probably many others I just don't know or have the interest in looking it up. Maybe Quinn (MIGHT HAVE BEEN A FOUR YEAR GUY HIMSELF?) feels a lot of pressure to win it all quickly and the recruiting philosophy has changed under him. Dunno the answer to that.
      Yep. Drury was a four year player. Quinn played 3 years, and while trying out for the '88 US Olympic team in what would have been his senior season at BU, came down with an illness that forced him into early retirement. He was a first round pick, too. Drury was a middle round pick IIRC, drafted by Quebec, signing after they moved to Colorado.

Maybe the "lost my career to illness" thing helps Quinn personally make peace with his better players leaving early?

FWIW I think it's fair to question both Quinn and even my boy Bazin as the years tick by, and they both continue to come up short of the big prize. Especially Quinn, whose recruiting position is far superior to that of Bazin.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

FWIW dept Pots -2 after one...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          FWIW dept Pots -2 after one...
          Pots and Pesce each rack up 1 SOG in losing cause on Tuesday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Yep. Drury was a four year player. Quinn played 3 years, and while trying out for the '88 US Olympic team in what would have been his senior season at BU, came down with an illness that forced him into early retirement. He was a first round pick, too. Drury was a middle round pick IIRC, drafted by Quebec, signing after they moved to Colorado.

Maybe the "lost my career to illness" thing helps Quinn personally make peace with his better players leaving early?

FWIW I think it's fair to question both Quinn and even my boy Bazin as the years tick by, and they both continue to come up short of the big prize. Especially Quinn, whose recruiting position is far superior to that of Bazin.
            Agree about Quinn and Bazin coming up short. The UML loss to Notre Dame is baffling. Bazin himself said after the loss that he thought his team could have gone all the way. The BU collapse is more understandable to me in that they were young and never quite came together.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Pots and Pesce each rack up 1 SOG in losing cause on Tuesday night.
              Yeah it wasn't a great game for either of them but it was good to see him (Pots) playing with the big boys!
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                Agree about Quinn and Bazin coming up short. The UML loss to Notre Dame is baffling. Bazin himself said after the loss that he thought his team could have gone all the way. The BU collapse is more understandable to me in that they were young and never quite came together.
                When a team that is known for proficiency in holding onto leads gacks up a two goal lead with a trip to the FF on the line, it certainly does raise questions. I hate to say it, but to ignore it isn't fair either. I suspect it will prove to be "one of those things" and Bazin will get them over the hump at some point. But lots of folks felt the same about another came-close-but-never-got-there (soon to be retiring) HE coach, and we all know how that turned out. Bazin's inability to push his teams past a certain threshold (so far anyway) rings a few uncomfortably familiar bells in that regard. Time will tell.

As for BU, I'm not a huge fan of the model of getting guys in for a year. When BC was winning their titles, it seemed like they had a mix of four year players and a few high end guys who would stick around for 2-3 years - not too many "one-and-dones" (Chuck Kobasew aside?) - so it seemed like they did have chemistry out there. Plus they probably felt more a part of the program, rather than just coming in for a year as a stopover to the NHL. The most recent BU teams have clearly been loaded with talent, but they also seem to be missing something. Finding that mix (as Yorkie did for the better part of a decade), in my mind, is the key to getting to - and winning - the final game.

... why is it that every time I write complimentary things about BC, I feel nauseous and a need to shower immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  When a team that is known for proficiency in holding onto leads gacks up a two goal lead with a trip to the FF on the line, it certainly does raise questions. I hate to say it, but to ignore it isn't fair either. I suspect it will prove to be "one of those things" and Bazin will get them over the hump at some point. But lots of folks felt the same about another came-close-but-never-got-there (soon to be retiring) HE coach, and we all know how that turned out. Bazin's inability to push his teams past a certain threshold (so far anyway) rings a few uncomfortably familiar bells in that regard. Time will tell.

As for BU, I'm not a huge fan of the model of getting guys in for a year. When BC was winning their titles, it seemed like they had a mix of four year players and a few high end guys who would stick around for 2-3 years - not too many "one-and-dones" (Chuck Kobasew aside?) - so it seemed like they did have chemistry out there. Plus they probably felt more a part of the program, rather than just coming in for a year as a stopover to the NHL. The most recent BU teams have clearly been loaded with talent, but they also seem to be missing something. Finding that mix (as Yorkie did for the better part of a decade), in my mind, is the key to getting to - and winning - the final game.

... why is it that every time I write complimentary things about BC, I feel nauseous and a need to shower immediately?
                  Agree on all counts!

As far as Bazin goes, he is a very good coach no doubt and I like his demeanor too. He is approaching the "hump" and might get over it but that remains to be seen. He might still be on a bit of a learning curve himself if that makes sense. Close but not there yet. I think Jackson outcoached him in that game. Jackson's comment to his team after the win was something to the effect "I told you I love being the underdog!" and the team embraced it.

Comment

With the NHL pulling more and more players early does the early York model work any longer? Do Gionta, Scuderi, Orpik stay the 4 & 3 years to lead that 2001 team, how about Kolanos making it to his sophomore year?

I think at this point you are lucky to get 3 years from an excellent player. Unless they are tiny they are all fare game for the NHL.

Seems like the places the NHL is less interested 5'9" and smaller forwards, goalies, and 5'10" and smaller D-men.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Yeah it wasn't a great game for either of them but it was good to see him (Pots) playing with the big boys!
                      At least Pesce is highest plus/minus on team this year, at +21. Compare with TvR's +17 on a much better team.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 04-06-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        At least Pesce is highest plus/minus on team this year, at +21. Compare with TvR's +17 on a much better team.
                        Thanks for sharing that I know Brett has had a good season! Great hockey night ahead my head is spinning!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

HR's Hobey prediction Mike Vech. What's yours? And on another note Andrew Poturalski is re-assigned to Charlotte after a two game NHL stint.

Ps Tyler Kelleher was named Second Team All American East
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-07-2017, 05:35 PM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                            With the NHL pulling more and more players early does the early York model work any longer?
                            Seems to be working for Denver and UMD...

Comment

HR's Hobey prediction Mike Vech.
                              I picked Butcher a week ago (whenever they named the "Hat Trick") and said this was all feeling very 2002 (Leopold/Minnesota) to me. So let the wild keggers begin early to celebrate the D-1 title out in Denver!!

Comment

I picked Butcher a week ago (whenever they named the "Hat Trick") and said this was all feeling very 2002 (Leopold/Minnesota) to me. So let the wild keggers begin early to celebrate the D-1 title out in Denver!!
                                I'll be honest that's who I thought would win (Mike V) but like you when Butcher came into the mix I must say I was rooting for the Dman as they rarely give it to one!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X