X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Well exactly and those thoughts have been echoed over at their board. It's going to be the same for any team who has great players;we have seen it obviously to a lesser degree but for us it's more of a travesty than an inconvenience (if I can use that term) since it's not like we have replaced the talent per se which is my main point. Hopefully that is changing.

And no Snively65 even with all of that talent BU isn't going to the FF but at least they competed for it. I'm sure they will be right back at it next season although I understand they will once again field a young team. Now if Greenway goes that presents abit of an interesting scenario they could be like BC this season in recovery mode. Read a tweet today where David Quinn said his toughest competition was Jerry York but now it's the Bruins! ��
    Bring back four-year players to UNH, like Eric Boguniecki, Jason Krog, and Darren Haydar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Bring back four-year players to UNH, like Eric Boguniecki, Jason Krog, and Darren Haydar.
      Agreed!! I think tho sadly any really good player you get that's the route they are going to take....Glad we had guys like TyK amd Eric Knodle for the duration. You do make a cohesive team when you have players that stick around..glad we have the Senior class we have for that reason.
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-03-2017, 06:51 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

In today's environment there is ZERO chance that any of Krog, Haydar or Boguniecki stay four seasons at UNH.

Boguniecki - who likely makes his way to UNH via the US NTDP - would never be allowed to return to Durham as a SR by the St Louis Blues. The Blues would never risk letting Boguniecki walk as a free-agent after his senior season. Especially after a dominant junior campaign in which he scored 23 goals and 52 points. They also fear the new building at UNH (with its Olympic sized sheet) will hinder his transition to pro-hockey. Better to get the undersized kid into camp and see what he's got, there is no more development for him at the NCAA level...

Krog explodes onto the radar of NHL GMs after his 128 point performance with Chilliwack of the BCHL. While questions remain about his foot-speed they'll eagerly track him as he begins his career at UNH. This time they're excited about the big ice surface - and interested to see if Krog will improve his skating and keep up with older NCAA players. After a solid FR season, Krog bursts into FA conversations following a 67-point sophomore season. With all 32 NHL programs having access to the flashy forward from Fernie, a bidding war results in Krogs departure after just two seasons...

With Krog's early departure Haydar's dynamic FR campaign is a little more subdued. After two-straight 41 point seasons the Predator brass starts to wonder about the slender, slot-cruising forward on Umile's bench. They don't pull the trigger just yet, but when the Milton native posts 41 points for the third time as a JR, Nashville jumps on the pending FA, before the Whittemore Ctr ice has even melted, and toss him into the AHL to see if he can score as easily at that level as he has in every level he's faced. He does...

* before anyone tells me the draft is only seven rounds today, let me assure you that Bogey and Haydar would simply fall 'victim' to the same fate as Krog. Potentially leaving even earlier...

---

All you can do in NCAA hockey is build a team that can get to the tournament with a chance to win. A Four-round single elimination tournament is a crap-shoot. The idea that a BU team that lost in a regional final is a failure and proof you can't win with elite talent is silly. If they score a goal in an OT period they dominated, they're still playing and everyone's trying to figure it how to replicate what they've done.

Get the best recruits you can every year - year after year - and consistently put your program in a position to win. Thats all you can do. BU has done it this way for years now. They'll do it again next year. I'm sure they'd prefer to have a better blend of age groups - but they were a bounce away from skating for a natty next weekend. It's hardly broken at BU and UNH should be so lucky...

But - if you can't win with those players, I guess we should feel fortunate UNH just simply can't compete with the big schools for their services...
        Last edited by Dan; 04-03-2017, 08:17 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          But - if you can't win with those players, I guess we should feel fortunate UNH just simply can't compete with the big schools for their services...
          http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...er-forget-that

Speaking of which, its been a long road for Gonzaga to end up in the National Championship game. I wonder how that got started...

Dan Fitzgerald ran the place for nearly two decades as head coach and, later, athletic director. But he was more a resolute pragmatist than big dreamer. At the end of each season, he'd take his coaches out to dinner and reiterate the same refrain -- why the Bulldogs could never win their league.

"Every school has better weather. Every school has better facilities. Every school has better players in their area to recruit,'' Monson remembers the late Fitzgerald saying. "And it was hard to argue with any of those reasons.''

But Monson, along with Few and Grier, refused to follow Fitzgerald's lead. They pursued recruits that Fitzgerald believed were out of reach, insisted that Gonzaga could compete for what was then known as the Pac-10. When Fitzgerald retired and Monson took over and, along with Few and the rest of the staff, turned things around almost immediately. The Bulldogs won 24 games and went to the NIT in Monson's first year, and then launched the unforgettable 1998-99 Elite Eight run.

"He changed the thinking,'' Roth said. "We made a conscious decision to be different, to be something more than what we'd always been.''
          Huh...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Get the best recruits you can every year - year after year - and consistently put your program in a position to win. Thats all you can do. BU has done it this way for years now. They'll do it again next year. I'm sure they'd prefer to have a better blend of age groups - but they were a bounce away from skating for a natty next weekend. It's hardly broken at BU.
            I would love to be in BU's shoes. I do wonder about Quinn as a head coach. He is a fantastic, just plain amazing recruiter. I don't really see his groups becoming teams. Some of that would be really helped by a better blend. Some of that makes me wonder about Quinn. All problems I would absolutely love to have.

They were really fun to watch this year. Just the talent, creativity and speed dazzling to watch at times.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
              I would love to be in BU's shoes. I do wonder about Quinn as a head coach. He is a fantastic, just plain amazing recruiter. I don't really see his groups becoming teams. Some of that would be really helped by a better blend. Some of that makes me wonder about Quinn. All problems I would absolutely love to have.

They were really fun to watch this year. Just the talent, creativity and speed dazzling to watch at times.
              Agree completely. I try never to miss the BU game at the Whitt, and this year got to see the UNH game at Agannis also, thanks to HR with her extra ticket. We "could have" won both of those games. I am still going to miss watching TyK next season.

Speaking of two years and done, I read somewhere that Poturalski is in the 'Canes lineup against the Wild tonight.
              Last edited by Snively65; 04-04-2017, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Agree completely. I try never to miss the BU game at the Whitt, and this year got to see the UNH game at Agannis also, thanks to HR with her extra ticket. We "could have" won both of those games. I am still going to miss watching TyK next season.

Speaking of two years and done, I read somewhere that Poturalski is in the 'Canes lineup against the Wild tonight.
                yeah I put that in the recruiting thread after having read that from C-H-C's twitter feed...hoping to watch and hoping it's not on NHL network because I don't have that subscription!!!

Dan, your points about competing with the best players was excellent and on point. I think everyone agrees that's where success in college hockey (to win at it at least) is found; recruit the best players you can, and not only that, have a winning VISION for those players that becomes the culture on and off the ice. It's just lip service otherwise, saying you don't like where you ended up last season and are out to change that this season...ho hum. Here's some Pots highlights in case anyone had forgotten what a great player he was for us (Chuck, don't watch )

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video...094/c-44209903
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-04-2017, 07:09 AM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Anything can happen that's why they play the games, but BU beats UNH 98 of 100 times. We play in top gear to stay on the ice with them, they idle along with plenty in reserve whenever they need it. Add a 2 - 3 Matt Grzelcyk/Kevin Shattenkirk types and they are odds on NC favorites.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

It's great having high end talent but not so great having to replace them every year. It's got to, at the very least, be disruptive to team chemistry not to mention difficult on the coaching staff. Quinn's head must be spinning!
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I don't have the time now, but I'd be interested in seeing how many of his assists came on the PP playing with UNHs loaded first unit. Many of which were simply 15-foot, easy passes to Kelleher or McNicholas on the wings (What could that PP have been if he was a true QB, capable of getting hard shots through to the net)...
                      Sorry, I agree with most of what you're saying but I'm a lunatic about passing. The single most underrated and underappreciated skill in hockey.

So much can go "wrong" with a simple 15 foot pass to keep it from ending up in the back of the net. He holds it just a beat too long and the D and goalie slide over, it's in the guys skates a little or just a bit too far in front of him, it's not smooth, flat, and hard - it rolls a little or gets up on edger - or it's too hard or too soft so the receiver has to fight with it instead of shooting it.

I see that pass eph'd up way more often than I see it done right even at the D1 level.

I just never take good passing for granted.
                      I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                      How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        It's great having high end talent but not so great having to replace them every year. It's got to, at the very least, be disruptive to team chemistry not to mention difficult on the coaching staff. Quinn's head must be spinning!
                        I do not follow recruiting efforts of other teams but for those who might/do (Dan, 'Watcher) does BU simply "re-load" each season? How many Kellers/McAvoys/Greenways can there possibly be for them to recruit on a yearly basis? Answer: plenty. Teams like BU will rarely see the 4 year guy and you can say that Grizz was one but was that his choice, or the Bruins? (I dunno that's why I'm asking)

Remembering their transition year (Parker to Quinn) in 2013-14 when we did sweep BU? That was nice. Of course...Eichel comes in the next season and they go to the FF (we split with them that year; we had a 4-0 lead going into the 3rd but they managed to score 3 quick ones somehow we held on to win) so UNH has done well against them. This season I'd agree with Darius' comments and it was well evidenced at the game in Durham especially that they just turned it on and that was that. Good teams find a way to win and...you get it.

Yeah JB...winning games is fun and going to tournaments like the Regional/HE semi's etc is fun and I wouldn't mind that one bit....
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-04-2017, 12:27 PM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                          Sorry, I agree with most of what you're saying but I'm a lunatic about passing. The single most underrated and underappreciated skill in hockey.

So much can go "wrong" with a simple 15 foot pass to keep it from ending up in the back of the net. He holds it just a beat too long and the D and goalie slide over, it's in the guys skates a little or just a bit too far in front of him, it's not smooth, flat, and hard - it rolls a little or gets up on edger - or it's too hard or too soft so the receiver has to fight with it instead of shooting it.

I see that pass eph'd up way more often than I see it done right even at the D1 level.

I just never take good passing for granted.
                          This is something I see in Lowell (as an example) that I absolutely love. Very crisp short passes in traffic, tape to tape, click-click-click. Watching teams like that break a forecheck is really interesting. Three quick passes between the end boards and the dot in the face off circle. Not jamming it up the wall but using the ice and triangles to zip around the forecheck pressure and out of zone. So many teams just take away the wall - why wouldn't you...
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            yeah I put that in the recruiting thread after having read that from C-H-C's twitter feed...hoping to watch and hoping it's not on NHL network because I don't have that subscription!!!
                            FYI - It looks like Comcast is currently offering a free trial of the NHL Center Ice and MLB channels. The Hurricanes and Wild start at 7:30 pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                              So many teams just take away the wall - why wouldn't you...
                              Ask David Quinn. BU only tried it about 40 consecutive times against BC without success...

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                                FYI - It looks like Comcast is currently offering a free trial of the NHL Center Ice and MLB channels. The Hurricanes and Wild start at 7:30 pm.
                                Thanks for the tip; I don't get Comcast but hoping my nhl subscription will not block it out. Hoping to watch the B's and the Canes game simultaneously! EDIT: yes! The game is not blocked out.
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-04-2017, 06:28 PM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X