X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    "Should I stay or should I go?"
    Of course, to the guy making the decision, the Clash is part of that "new music" that the kids like (unaware that the Clash were 30 years ago). Umile strikes me more as a Frank Sinatra kind of guy. Maybe "my way", "one for the road," "it was a very good year," or "the best is yet to come"?
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-14-2017, 08:42 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Of course, to the guy making the decision, the Clash is part of that "new music" that the kids like (unaware that the Clash were 30 years ago). Umile strikes me more as a Frank Sinatra kind of guy. Maybe "my way", "one for the road," "it was a very good year," or "the best is yet to come"?
      Tom Jones "What's New Pussycat"
      I went home with a waitress the way I always do
      How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

"One for my baby and one for the road..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
          Well said. Sick of hearing the whole "round number" stuff all season. Don't think it matters to man who gave more then anyone else to the program. To think that is the only thing he cares about is just plain insulting. No one is happy how the last couple of years have gone, and I am sure that coach is more upset then all of us. I am with everyone else and believe it's time for a change but will not go down the road of throwing dirt over a man who has. Ire passion for UNH hockey then all of us combines. I thanks him for all he has done and wish him luck going forward and hope he gets to sit back and watch the program rise back to the top. After all of it was t for Umile we wouldn't have the high expectations out of the team as we do.
          I don't get this logic at all. Because you were good at your job at one time you can be bad at it now? I'm hoping none of us ever come across any airline pilots or surgeons who follow that way of thinking.

This was a job. He wasn't volunteering with the ORYHA squirts down at Jackson's Landing. A well-compensated and highly visible job at that. He, first and foremost, should have seen that as a stewardship and recognized when he was no longer up to it. But he didn't. I don't know what got in the way - ego, lack of judgement, greed, etc. - but something kept him in the position beyond the time he could do it justice. You act like pointing that out is an insult to him. It's not, this isn't a referendum on his coaching career, or even him as a person, it's a hard but fair look at the current, and recent, state of the program. Which is fairly horrid.
          Last edited by E.J. Smith; 03-14-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Maybe a little Ray Charles? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DRen60X10
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
              I don't get this logic at all. Because you were good at your job at one time you can be bad at it now? I'm hoping none of us ever come across any airline pilots or surgeons who follow that way of thinking.

This was a job. He wasn't volunteering with the ORYHA squirts down at Jackson's Landing. A well-compensated and highly visible job at that. He, first and foremost, should have seen that as a stewardship and recognized when he was no longer up to it. But he didn't. I don't know what got in the way - ego, lack of judgement, greed, etc. - but something kept him in the position beyond the time he could do it justice. You act like pointing that out is an insult to him. It's not, this isn't a referendum on his coaching career, or even him as a person, it's a hard but fair look at the current, and recent, state of the program. Which is fairly horrid.
              I'm in strong agreement here. He had earned some latitude, but that ran out some time ago. The "stewardship" word is spot on, and a lack of introspection seems to be contagious among coaches that had a measure of success at one point and then fell on hard times (Bobby Bowden comes to mind).

I still don't have any patience for the 600-win theory, but I do believe that at some point, he should have known when to step aside. I assume positive intent on his part - I think he has stayed on based on a genuine belief that he had the program on the cusp of a turnaround, whether we might have agreed with that assessment or not.

If he is around next year, that (IMO) will show some real tone-deafness.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Introspection that's the word I was looking for. Not much of it on display around the Whitt lately.

It's funny, maybe that served him well early on when he basically had to write the script on the fly to rebuild the program. Not so much now. Maybe one of those paradoxes that catches certain types of coach - the lack of doubt and introspection that kept you from being overwhelmed early on is exactly what sunk you when it was time to figure out how to sustain rather than build a program.

Poor guy, he couldn't help himself, it was ordained

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post

Not saying he doesn't deserve any blame did say it's time for a change. Just don't buy the whole BS that he is only in it for #600. Maybe he actually loves what he is does and that is why. The decline the last couple of years isn't acceptable to anyone and I am sure Umile feels the same. I am one who thinks he will step aside this year and if he doesn't well then it's all on him. I am sure it's not an easy deacon to come to after you have given basically your entire life to a program it's easy sitting in the stands saying he should just step down putting myself in his shoes I am sure it Is not easy and he wants to see the team succeed as we all do. I just respect all he has done for the program and yes do give him blame for the last couple of years to. If this is it I will remember the whole body of work not just the last couple of years and the good will put weight the bad to me. After all it's college hockey and not surgery it airplane pilot

Comment

From today's Concord Monitor
                    Reporters at the Tsongas Center that evening had their stories done and ready to file long before the final horn. No one needed more than a quote or two from Umile about this game.

There was only one question that truly mattered: Is this Dick Umile’s final post-game presser, or will he return next season?

WEEI’s Scott McLaughlin asked the question. Umile’s response: “No comment on that.”

A contract extension from 2015 keeps Umile, 68, behind the UNH bench through next season. It is believed he will retire either this offseason or next year when the contract expires.

Mike Souza, a 2000 graduate of UNH and Umile’s hockey program, was hired as associate head coach shortly after Umile’s contract was extended. A transition began to take motion as Umile directly identified Souza as the heir apparent.

Souza “will have an opportunity to succeed me and take over the program,” Umile told the Foster’s Daily Democrat in August 2015. “That will be the transition going forward. ... I’m excited about it. I’ll finish my career coaching at UNH.”

In the time since, the Wildcats have endured two of their worst seasons in terms of record in recent memory.

This decade has not been kind to UNH. After qualifying for 10 straight NCAA tournaments from 2002 through 2011, the Wildcats have missed five of the last six. They made it interesting this season with a first-round upset of Merrimack in the Hockey East tournament, but the gap widened to four years since their last NCAA berth in 2013.

Umile has led UNH to four Frozen Four appearances and two national championship games in 1999 and 2003, but neither ended with the team bringing hardware back to Durham. The Wildcats have not been a Frozen Four team since that 2003 season, which closed in 5-1 loss to Minnesota for the title.

We’ll talk to Umile once more on Thursday in his final media session to close the season. The question will be asked again, and perhaps Umile will have an answer.

(Nick Stoico can be reached at 369-3339, nstoico@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @NickStoico.)
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                      Not saying he doesn't deserve any blame did say it's time for a change. Just don't buy the whole BS that he is only in it for #600. Maybe he actually loves what he is does and that is why. The decline the last couple of years isn't acceptable to anyone and I am sure Umile feels the same. I am one who thinks he will step aside this year and if he doesn't well then it's all on him. I am sure it's not an easy deacon to come to after you have given basically your entire life to a program it's easy sitting in the stands saying he should just step down putting myself in his shoes I am sure it Is not easy and he wants to see the team succeed as we all do. I just respect all he has done for the program and yes do give him blame for the last couple of years to. If this is it I will remember the whole body of work not just the last couple of years and the good will put weight the bad to me. After all it's college hockey and not surgery it airplane pilot
                      Well I have never been a big fan of the 'road to 600' myself...not to say I haven't enjoyed reading the Quest. I was talking to someone who's been around the program for awhile and I asked them why UNH didn't play the big teams like Minny, Michigan, etc like they had been when I first started following them, their response? "When you're not that good...it's hard for those teams to risk Pairwise rankings to play you". Now I don't know how true any of that is (I do know what a loss to a struggling team can do to Pairwise) and still don't buy our 'cupcake' of a schedule was exclusively derived so that Coach U could get to the NRN. You just can't tell me the powers that be who do the scheduling actually sat around and dreamed up a schedule with the intention it would allow for Dick Umile to reach his milestone. I mean, if this season's schedule was 'weak' what's next year's gonna look like? And if it IS true that his needs were more important than the job at hand...I have no words I see where Maine is playing some big dogs despite their abysmal results but I will qualify that I have no clue how the scheduling works in the first place.

Anyway..totally get what you are saying about the whole thing. It's not easy to let go of something that's become your entire life. To quote one of my fav's Neil Young tunes
                      "Comes a Time" and even tho we think that time is now, doesn't mean he does...

Here ya go you 70's music fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TeLSgncU_4
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-14-2017, 01:45 PM.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Umile strikes me more as a Frank Sinatra kind of guy.
                        So I guess that means that back in the days of the "Big Four", York, Parker, Walsh, Whitehead and DU were the "Rat Pack" of coaches?

In reality, Dick Umile is only nine months older than Bruce Springsteen, who still plays four hour shows and sells out stadiums around the world. Of course its also true that The Boss hasn't put out an album of new music in over five years, and its been longer than that since he released a decent one. His latest foray around the world was in support of a record that was three and a half decades old, a tour which eventually turned into a greatest hits show. In fact, there are some who consider The Rising Springsteen's last good release. It is worth noting that release and tour took place during the last season that UNH hockey made a trip to the Frozen Four.

Going back even further there is this little ditty:

My soul went walkin' but I stayed here
                        Feel like I been workin' for a thousand years
                        Chippin' away at this chain of my own lies
                        Climbin' a wall a hundred miles high
                        Well I woke up this morning on the other side
                        Yeah yeah this is the long goodbye
                        Hey yeah this is the long goodbye

Same old faces it's the same old town
                        What once was laughs is draggin' me now
                        Waitin' on rain hangin' on for love
                        Words of forgiveness from some God above
                        Ain't no words of mercy comin' from on high
                        Oh no just a long goodbye
                        Yeah yeah just one long goodbye

Well I went to leave twenty years ago
                        Since then I guess I been packin' kinda slow
                        Sure did like that admirin' touch
                        Guess I liked it a little too much

The moon is high and here I am
                        Sittin' here with this hammer in hand
                        One more drink oughta ease the pain
                        Starin' at that last link in the chain
                        Well let's raise our glass and let the hammer fly
                        Kiss me baby and we're gonna fly
                        Kiss me baby 'cause we're gonna ride
                        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

To be clear to those who don't buy the "Road to 600" or the "Next Round Number" (NRN):

This may come as a shock ... but neither did/do I. It's an incredibly shallow, ridiculous reason to stick around when the program that's been your pride and joy has been sliding into nothingness for the last several years. Selfishness personified. Or as 'Watcher has so succinctly summed this up for months now ... Apres moi, le deluge.

But two off-seasons ago, with the program already slipping away into irrelevancy, this *unusual* 3 year plan emerged. Coach would have three (3) seasons to finish things up, and to transition the program to a hand-picked successor. The last 2 seasons' worth of NC schedules have been more flimsy than a wet tissue. Coincidence? Or did BS35+2 plot this global strategy to sell the guy holding what has since 2000 appeared to be the 'lifetime contract" to accept a shortened 3 year deal that would give him a few more shots at hardware, and all the while also get him to the NRN on his way out the door?

I don't think anyone expected the program to tank as badly as it did last season, and the steady loss of recruits who either left early, or just never came at all, turned these seasons from "return to glory" seasons to "circling the drain" seasons instead. This season, they found a way to get 15 wins, but don't forget - a little over a week ago, it was basically still a push with the previous season's win total.

So if Coach is allowed/decides to come back next year for one final season ... please, tell me why then?
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I agree Nifty 16........

Comment

And another one gone,
                              Another one gone
                              Another one bites the dust

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...-UNO-Coach.php
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                To be clear to those who don't buy the "Road to 600" or the "Next Round Number" (NRN):

This may come as a shock ... but neither did/do I. It's an incredibly shallow, ridiculous reason to stick around when the program that's been your pride and joy has been sliding into nothingness for the last several years. Selfishness personified. Or as 'Watcher has so succinctly summed this up for months now ... Apres moi, le deluge.

But two off-seasons ago, with the program already slipping away into irrelevancy, this *unusual* 3 year plan emerged. Coach would have three (3) seasons to finish things up, and to transition the program to a hand-picked successor. The last 2 seasons' worth of NC schedules have been more flimsy than a wet tissue. Coincidence? Or did BS35+2 plot this global strategy to sell the guy holding what has since 2000 appeared to be the 'lifetime contract" to accept a shortened 3 year deal that would give him a few more shots at hardware, and all the while also get him to the NRN on his way out the door?

I don't think anyone expected the program to tank as badly as it did last season, and the steady loss of recruits who either left early, or just never came at all, turned these seasons from "return to glory" seasons to "circling the drain" seasons instead. This season, they found a way to get 15 wins, but don't forget - a little over a week ago, it was basically still a push with the previous season's win total.

So if Coach is allowed/decides to come back next year for one final season ... please, tell me why then?
                                Chuck I will go out on a limb and pose this q to you...sure it's entirely possible maybe even likely that DU was given the 3 year gig to tidy up things, get to 600, win a NC etc but now you use the word "allowed" to stay? I guess what I have a hard time believing is he would actually be pushed to leave by MS (BS whatever the number is )..I know wildcatdc has alluded to this in his preseason posts so this could be possible I guess...but seems to me he (DU) has held all the cards to this point?

Will Marty actually say "welp it's been nice but it's time" and can UNH pay him for leaving early? Maybe some of that money from the librarian is still in escrow...In all seriousness unless DU decides that now is the time am curious (almost incredulous) that MS will show him the door.

I imagine MS is/has/ will be receiving a ton of opinions about his hockey coach staying on as we speak, but if Coach decided he's staying well I suspect he will. And assuming that he does indeed step down doubt we will ever know if he decided it on his own or if MS have him the nudge. Unless of course there's a wiki leak or something to that effect!!

Just some mindless ramblings on a snowy day. Supposed to head to Boston for a convention tomorrow?!?

Speaking of your 'tell me why' then lament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxI3PT9IN8
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-14-2017, 02:39 PM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X