This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

On another note; I was shocked to see that Harvard got it's first win in the NCAA tourney in 23 years! The negativity on this thread would be unbearable if UNH had a similar record!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      On another note; I was shocked to see that Harvard got it's first win in the NCAA tourney in 23 years! The negativity on this thread would be unbearable if UNH had a similar record!
      Duly noted sir...oddly I was pondering the same . God help us if that's how long it takes us to get back! I'll be well....much older 🙄😉
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Coach U discusses the field for this weekend's tourney in Manch:
        http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...00/-1/sports22
        Would be more interested to hear him discuss the bracketology and selection process for the entire tournament, starting with an explanation of why there are seven teams with 21 or more wins that are not in the field.
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Greg, you mentioned earlier that UNH brought in a player (I forget the name) in an attempt to get Sean Collins to play at UNH; I heard at the time that Sean's teammate Steve Saviano, a year ahead of Collins at Reading High, was that player.

I have returned from snowbirding in Florida to replace 1932 here. :-)
          Saviano did come a year before Collins but, from what I was told, Collins got off the fence only after Eddie Caron signed with UNH. Hard to believe now but Caron was a top recruit that year. The other thing that Reading people told me was that, although Saviano and Collins had played together forever, they went their separate ways off the ice. So not sure one was definite to follow the other.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            What is it they say: don't ask a question you don't want to know the answer to. Could have been uncomfortable for Marty if 80% of the former season tix holders said Dickie was the biggest problem. Much easier to imagine that the Jumbletron is the missing feature, and work on getting that done for the remaining 600 fans.
            Having been in sales my entire professional career, I can tell you that the biggest mistake you can make is not finding out why a long time client has left you. On the flip side, I can't tell you how many clients I picked up because their former agent wouldn't return their calls. UNH ticket office in the business of selling season tickets. If you don't find out why they are not buying, how can you improve your selling?

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Was actually thinking of him today. Or more accurately thinking of his father. Perhaps related to Lonzo Ball.
              Good one. Brian McCloskey was not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                Their last was in the regional final at Albany in 1994, against UNH. Back then the top seed, Harvard, got a first round bye. UNH played RPI the previous night and shut them out. In the final, they stayed with Harvard for two periods, were gassed in the third and got blown out.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Add in Jake Ryczek, and Borek now coaches 3/6 of the defense that really should be playing for UNH.
                  Shut out last night, basically at home. The descent begins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    Read that some of their fans feel like they are on the verge of hanging another banner!?! (Or at least the future looks very bright) Unless Leaman leaves of course...
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post

And the defense from Providence was their issue all year even though four out of the top 6 dmen were returning starters (including three who won the national championship)...HMMMMM
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                        And the defense from Providence was their issue all year even though four out of the top 6 dmen were returning starters (including three who won the national championship)...HMMMMM

Getting that NC must alleviate the frustration somewhat though I would think!

Comment

Just read on the PC thread that the AD says Leaman has what amounts to a "lifetime contract." Ouch....we know how that goes...

Comment

Their last was in the regional final at Albany in 1994, against UNH. Back then the top seed, Harvard, got a first round bye. UNH played RPI the previous night and shut them out. In the final, they stayed with Harvard for two periods, were gassed in the third and got blown out.
                            Didn't remember that.

It'll be interesting to see how far Harvard goes this year and Lowell.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                              And you pick another DMan we should've would've could've had in Jake Rycek...UNH knows all about D struggles.....but we look forward to some relief next season.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Just read on the PC thread that the AD says Leaman has what amounts to a "lifetime contract." Ouch....we know how that goes...
                                Yeah, no kidding. Good news for the rest of HE. Leaman can now afford to kick back, spend some quality time in East Greenwich or Newport off-hours, and let Borek do all the dirty work for him. Worked a charm at UNH.

Just another in the long line of post-season "Umiliations", I'm afraid. Was Denver a year earlier or a year later?

Having been in sales my entire professional career, I can tell you that the biggest mistake you can make is not finding out why a long time client has left you. On the flip side, I can't tell you how many clients I picked up because their former agent wouldn't return their calls. UNH ticket office in the business of selling season tickets. If you don't find out why they are not buying, how can you improve your selling?
                                I've always believed the UNH ticket office works by the "Field of Dreams" ethos ... build it and they will come. I've never ceased to be amazed at how little UNH does to market their athletics programs (in a market where they face very little competition) and how poorly they've done it when they do try. The overall apathy and complacency of UNH Athletics just permeates the place, from top to bottom.

Saviano did come a year before Collins but, from what I was told, Collins got off the fence only after Eddie Caron signed with UNH. Hard to believe now but Caron was a top recruit that year. The other thing that Reading people told me was that, although Saviano and Collins had played together forever, they went their separate ways off the ice. So not sure one was definite to follow the other.
                                I'm a little surprised at that, but I'm sure it's possible. I do vividly recall a road game at North Andover HS Rink - oops, Lawler Arena, f/k/a Volpe Complex at Merrimack - during Collins' frosh season, where we ended up sitting a row directly behind the Collins and Saviano families. It was pretty early in the season, and the Collins family was pretty psyched that Sean was playing such a prominent role, and the Savianos were thrilled that Steve was getting a regular shift with Sean, and was seeing a lot more ice time than he did the previous season. It was just one of those nice moments, you could kind of relate to their shared joy, and it was a fun thing to see.

Those guys spent a ton of time on the same line in their 3 years together at UNH. Seemed to have different personalities, but they were magic together out there. I find it fascinating that Saviano - who was by far the less touted of the two - is still playing pro hockey, and has enjoyed the better of the two careers after they left UNH. Collins really never got any traction in a couple of brief shots in the AHL, and has been out of pro hockey now for almost a decade. Not a lot of folks (myself included) would have predicted that at the time, but there you go, FWIW.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X