This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Bazin from Lowell named HE COTY. Tomorrow, Umile will release a statement saying he was only 9 coaches away from being name HE COTY again...
    Last edited by scoreboard; 03-16-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
      Now Borek is with a team that won a national championship the season before he joined the program...so we will see his abilities now at PC.
      When Borek arrived at UNH in 2002-03 the team advanced to its fourth frozen four and second title game in six years. And slowly but consistently the recruiting got worse and worse. If things are different at PC it will be because you (rightly) have a HC heavily involved in recruiting. Not because of the lofty situation Borek walked into...

Also of note, soon after his arrival PC lost Mike Vecch...I mean, Jordan Kawaguchi...after asking him to defer. That would be second in the BCHL with 85 points and heading to North Dakota, Jordan Kawaguchi...

If you run into Leaman, you'd be wise to suggest he continue keeping a close eye on all recruiting decisions. I'd hate for you guys to end up with a team full of Jason O'Neill's while players like JK are starring for other programs...
      Last edited by Dan; 03-16-2017, 09:33 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
        The thing is, with UNH sitting #39 in the pairwise rankings another 20-25 coaches whose teams will miss the NCAA's could say the same thing. Many with less than getting 6 additional KEY wins needed to be in. How many will use that comparison about how close they came to making the playoffs?
        Oh, I know; I was just being facetious. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Oh, I know; I was just being facetious. :-)
          I know you were being facetious. You just pointed out exactly what Umile meant by his statement. Heck, if I was 10 inches taller, 15 years younger and could throw a football 99.9999% better than I do I may have as many Super Bowl rings as Tom Brady. well maybe not.

Comment

More bizarre than the statement itself, to me, was what his point was in even making it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              When Borek arrived at UNH in 2002-03 the team advanced to its fourth frozen four and second title game in six years. And slowly but consistently the recruiting got worse and worse. If things are different at PC it will be because you (rightly) have a HC heavily involved in recruiting. Not because of the lofty situation Borek walked into...

Also of note, soon after his arrival PC lost Mike Vecch...I mean, Jordan Kawaguchi...after asking him to defer. That would be second in the BCHL with 85 points and heading to North Dakota, Jordan Kawaguchi...

If you run into Leaman, you'd be wise to suggest he continue keeping a close eye on all recruiting decisions. I'd hate for you guys to end up with a team full of Jason O'Neill's while players like JK are starring for other programs...
              If you see my comments on the PC thread...I am all over Nate's coaching decisions and have always questioned the Borek move.
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                More bizarre than the statement itself, to me, was what his point was in even making it.
                Because he's a bitter delusional old man who sees his goodwill being destroyed and like a gambler seeing his chips dwindle down, has fallen into magical thinking that he can make everything end well if he just wins the next hand, and he was just three aces away from winning the last hand.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  Inattention is the word for me. First by Umile. When McCloskey was assistant, and Lassonde too, Umile had guys who knew how to use UNH's advantages to recruit. Then McCloskey went to the women's side and we got Borek. With him it was a slow, drip, drip, drip .... No doubt Umile is,ultimately responsible for these failures but my take always was that Umile was detached from recruiting. More than once I can recall remarks he would make about a freshman's skills, seemingly surprised about what a kid could do. You could argue that he should have been more engaged, but his m.o. worked in an earlier era so why not now.
                  And there you have it. When evaluating why Umile came up short in so many games, I never ever want to hear anybody talk about how fierce a competitor he is, how much energy he devoted to the program, or how he bleeds blue and deserved better.

He abdicated half of his job, while York was on the road helping recruit that last necessary player. Just like he grabbed the last bit of money on the table even though it was harmful to the future of the program, he refused to do that last little bit to help UNH get over the hump. Stop the narrative about his tireless devotion to winning.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    Because he's a bitter delusional old man who sees his goodwill being destroyed and like a gambler seeing his chips dwindle down, has fallen into magical thinking that he can make everything end well if he just wins the next hand, and he was just three aces away from winning the last hand.
                    Typical of a coach to think he can win the next hand. Don't think he is alone in that.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                      If Umile said that he really should be fired. Dumbest statement ever. Just think, in his mind, had they beaten Lowell on Sunday, they would have been just 6 more straight wins away from a National Championship. So close.... Delusional.
                      http://www.fosters.com/sports/201703...er-lost-season

"If you take this year's record we've got to up it by six games," he said. "We've got to win six more games and that would get us to 21. With 21 we'd be back in the NCAA tournament. That's what we want to do. We want to compete in that thing every year."
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I think the entire "braintrust" needs to brush up on things. They all seem to be laboring under the impression that 21 wins magically gets you into the NCAA, regardless of strength of schedule.

http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...ead-coach.html
                        Lowry: That brings up the strength of schedule. It's going to be harder given that the schedule and the teams you're playing out of conference this year. Is it going to be harder to accumulate the points that you need to get an invite to the NCAA tournament?

Souza: The PairWise formula is an algorithm beyond my math capabilities. All I know is that you're right on the money. You need to win in non-league games and the bottom line is that the more games you win the easier it is to get into the NCAA tournament. You definitely need to win your fair share of Hockey East games.

In terms of strength of schedule, I don't know... certainly, the stronger your schedule maybe gives you a little bit of wiggle room to lose a game here or there. The bottom line is that we want to win. You hit the nail on the head, you want to win the majority of non-league games. If you do that, you finish in the top half of hockey east, you've got a good chance of making to the NCAA tournament. That's about as cut and dry as it gets. You know all the Hockey East teams are going to be competitive. Last year we had six teams in the tournament, it's amazing. Six out of 16. It's a tough conference and we want to be at the top of it.
                        Although cutting him some slack, he may know it but can't tell his simplistic and disengaged boss the truth to stop scheduling cupcakes.

Just looking at this year's PWR should tell them 21 is not the magic number.

Rank Team PWR W-L-T Win % Win % Rank RPI RPI Rank
                        1 Denver 59 28-6-4 .7895 2 .6073 1
                        2 Minnesota-Duluth 58 23-6-7 .7361 3t .5977 2
                        3 Harvard 57 24-5-2 .8065 1 .5917* 3
                        4 Western Michigan 56 22-10-5 .6622 10 .5701 4
                        5 Minnesota 55 23-10-3 .6806 8t .5676* 5
                        6 Boston University 54 23-10-3 .6806 8t .5657* 6
                        7 Union 53 25-8-3 .7361 3t .5623* 7
                        8 Massachusetts-Lowell 52 24-10-3 .6892 7 .5572 8
                        9 Cornell 51 20-7-5 .7031 5 .5501 9
                        10 Notre Dame 50 21-10-5 .6528 12 .5499 10
                        11 North Dakota 49 20-14-3 .5811 21 .5496 11
                        12t Providence 47 22-11-5 .6447 14t .5478 12
                        12t Penn State 47 22-11-2 .6571 11 .5478* 13
                        14 Ohio State 46 21-10-6 .6486 13 .5467 14
                        15t Air Force 45 24-9-5 .6974 6 .5433 15
                        15t Boston College 45 20-14-4 .5789 22 .5384 16
                        17 Vermont 43 20-13-5 .5921 20 .5351 17
                        20 Quinnipiac 40 23-14-2 .6154 17t .5299 20
                        25 Canisius 35 21-10-7 .6447 14t .5171 25
                        26 Robert Morris 34 21-11-4 .6389 16 .5137 26
                        27 Minnesota State 33 22-13-4 .6154 17t .5126 27
                        28 Michigan Tech 32 22-14-7 .5930 19 .5116 28
                        29 Bemidji State 31 22-16-3 .5732 24 .5047 29
                        36 Bowling Green 24 21-17-2 .5500 27 .4926 36
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-17-2017, 06:27 AM.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

No doubt Umile is,ultimately responsible for these failures but my take always was that Umile was detached from recruiting. You could argue that he should have been more engaged, but his m.o. worked in an earlier era so why not now.
                          Umile stumbled into his success. He literally inherited Kullen's 87 and 88 classes that produced 8 quality players (Winnes, Dean, Plavsic, McIntyre, Amodeo, Flanagan, Mitrovic, and Scott Morrow) and were the core as the program went from 7 wins to the 92 NCAAs. His own 89, 90 and 91 classes were pretty weak, complimentary parts to that 92 NCAA team. When Kullen's kids graduated, Umile's own recruits were inadequate, and the team slipped back to 18 wins in 93. Thankfully in 92 he got McCloskey, who then produced the next wave of kids who formed the core of the 94 to 02 run, starting with Bogi, Nolan and Murray in 93-94, and Mowers, Nikulas.

Essentially, Umile walked into a super situation, nearly killed it, then got lucky McCloskey came along. When he no longer could piggy-back off of the work of his assistants, his success ceased. You can understand the Borek supporters' lament that Borek -- for all of his own flaws -- really was asked to do too much on his own while burdened by Umile.

Now, managing this by delegating is not as easy as I make it sound, but Umile ultimately bears the burden of not having done enough to help during the good times to put them over the top, and not doing enough during the bad times to prevent the slide. That will be his legacy -- just enough to fall short.
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-17-2017, 07:23 AM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            Honestly, I'm not sure this is a fair thing to say.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

You acknowledged that you wouldn't walk away. So how can one who also would be in it for the money disparage someone who is just like you? He has a three year deal, the third year is upon us and you want him to walk away when you yourself imply that you wouldn't. How about we look at the other side of this "negotiating table." Why no hate on Marty for, one, not firing him two years ago and, two, not offering a buyout so he would leave now. If Marty was looking forward to changing the culture, why not get a jump start by persuading the University to okay paying Umile off to ride into the sunset?
                              Greg, you oversimplified my answer to try to fit your point.

And if you think I've absolved the AD for not buying out Coach's final year, then you're simply not paying attention.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                                If you see my comments on the PC thread...I am all over Nate's coaching decisions and have always questioned the Borek move.
                                I'm sure you will have a hyper vigilant coach who is on top of things...like him or leave him I suspect Nate Leaman is ultimately in charge.
                                'Course am on the outside looking in. Good luck in the NCAA's (sigh).
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X