This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    And just because one may advocate for his retirement does not mean that it is done in a mean-spirited way. There is no correlation there. Because there are always exceptions. Nobody is saying there should be a "mandatory retirement" age. But after watching video of the last couple of post-game pressers, he just seemed, I don't know, "resigned," or "defeated," or "lacking energy." Not sure what the exact word is...but time beats everybody down eventually.
    Well said. Have noticed is some interviews this year seems a little disconnected and not doing as many as before. Sometime it's just time to move but that does take away all he accomplished for the program and that is what should be honored. He has given more the program then everyone on here combined.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
      Well said. Have noticed is some interviews this year seems a little disconnected and not doing as many as before. Sometime it's just time to move but that does take away all he accomplished for the program and that is what should be honored. He has given more the program then everyone on here combined.
      Let's put it this way. He doesn't look like he did when we used to occasionally bump into him at the Rosa (before the "renovation" and new ownership)! "Disconnected" is actually the right word. "Detached" would be another one.

But don't worry...this will pass and when people look back on these years his contribution will be given its due recognition. Things always get jumbled up during the current turmoil, but this will pass and history will record the Umile years fairly, accurately, and with the respect and admiration that he has earned. It just takes a little time and people can't see it objectively at the moment.
      Last edited by chickod; 03-15-2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Let's put it this way. He doesn't look like he did when we used to occasionally bump into him at the Rosa (before the "renovation" and new ownership)! "Disconnected" is actually the right word. "Detached" would be another one.

But don't worry...this will pass and when people look back on these years his contribution will be given its due recognition. Things always get jumbled up during the current turmoil, but this will pass and history will record the Umile years fairly, accurately, and with the respect and admiration that he has earned. It just takes a little time and people can't see it objectively at the moment.
        Very similar to Charlie Holt. There was a "thank god" reaction among many when Charlie stepped down. But it didn't take many years before his time as coach was looked at fondly. Btw, Charlie was younger than Umile is now when he retired.

Comment

The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Welp there it is and not surprised.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Great... Another year of a disconnected head coach. Thanks Marty!

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                Aw shucks you guys what's another year? Team is supposed to tank anyway...harrumph!!! 🙄
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

"If I go, there will be trouble"

Team rebuild...

"And if I stay it will be double"

Another rough year and then a rebuild...

I picked that song for a bunch of reasons.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                    No way the Stae of New Hampshire pays him to not work. The Whit will be an empty, empty place next year.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Aw shucks you guys what's another year? Team is supposed to tank anyway...harrumph!!! 🙄
                      No surprise, of course, Marty just does not make difficult personnel decisions unless "forced" to do so by factors far more serious than wins and losses (better hope Souza IS the right guy).

As for what's one more year? It's at least two more years tacked onto the rebuild...
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-15-2017, 05:27 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Yup, another year of mediocrity at best because someone doesn't know when to hang it up. As a newer fan of the tean it's getting harder to have respect for what he did in the past when he is holding the team back. There is no up side to him remaining as the head coach at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          No surprise, of course, Marty just does not make difficult personnel decisions unless "forced" to do so by factors far more serious than wins and losses (better hope Souza IS the right guy).

As for what's one more year? It's at least two more years tacked onto the rebuild...
                          Yup could sense my sarcasm?
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

That sound you heard was Danny Tirone exhaling
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Somehow I'd hoped Umile had some introspection and sense of what was best for the team. Once again, he's demonstrated a clear lack of both qualities.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                Somehow I'd hoped Umile had some introspection and sense of what was best for the team. Once again, he's demonstrated a clear lack of both qualities.
                                Question is would UNH pay him if he stepped down? I'm 50/50 on this. On one hand Umile has always been a fighter and not a quitter so I can see a side of him that says, "no, I'm sticking it out." ON the other hand, he selected Souza to be the coach (at least I think he did)and you would think his loyalty to a former player would or could hold sway. We'll never know but, if UNH said take the money and leave, and he didn't, well I'd be disappointed. But I don't think that was in the cards. Feel bad for Souza mostly. Must be very frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                X