This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Just to continue discussion on the goalie issue ... here's my UNH Top 5 going back to the mid-'70's:

(1) Ty Conklin
    (2) Michael Ayers
    (3) Kevin Regan
    (4) Cap Raeder
    (5) Jeff Levy

Fire away!!
    What did Robbie Ftorek say to Cap Raider when their Needham High team fell behind 3-1 with about 2.5 minutes remaining in the Massachusetts schoolboy championship game, and how did the game end?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      So I gather the worth of the goaltender is partly based on how old he is.for the record, Ty played his last game for UNH as a 24 year old, not that it matters. The real fact is that both Ty and Kevin played on outstanding teams. We all know how great the 1999 team was but, If you recall, Kevin's senior year he was one of four All-Americans on a team that was a number one seed but somehow lost in the first round out in Colorado Springs to Notre Dame. As noted, Ty carved a pretty decent pro career while it appears Kevin plateaued and never made it to the show. So, no. Ty was better than Kevin. Unless you're grading on an age curve. Btw, how old is Tirone?
      You are right Greg, I do not want to argue as Ty Conklin was great. I agree he was spectacular. Thanks for setting me straight on this one. I am glad we are all on board that Ty Curtis Conklin (born March 30, 1976) is without any peers in UNH college hockey and I wholeheartedly agree he was a greater goalie in the Pros and I will defer to the rest of you on all hockey matters from this day forward. I apologize for being one year off as he only played 2.5 years for UNH. I could not have been clearer about the loss to Notre Dame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        What did Robbie Ftorek say to Cap Raider when their Needham High team fell behind 3-1 with about 2.5 minutes remaining in the Massachusetts schoolboy championship game, and how did the game end?
        A guess. Don't worry Cap, I got this covered. Three goals in the last two minutes for a 4-3 win. Weren't Ftorek's line mates Steve Dagdigian and Con Schmidt, the son of Milt?

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
          You are right Greg, I do not want to argue as Ty Conklin was great. I agree he was spectacular. Thanks for setting me straight on this one. I am glad we are all on board that Ty Curtis Conklin (born March 30, 1976) is without any peers in UNH college hockey and I wholeheartedly agree he was a greater goalie in the Pros and I will defer to the rest of you on all hockey matters from this day forward. I apologize for being one year off as he only played 2.5 years for UNH. I could not have been clearer about the loss to Notre Dame.
          Ty played three years at UNH. His first year he split time with Sean Matile right through the HE playoffs, then started every game in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

spoiler
            http://nyrangerslegends.blogspot.com/2010/06/robbie-ftorek.html
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

A guess. Don't worry Cap, I got this covered. Three goals in the last two minutes for a 4-3 win. Weren't Ftorek's line mates Steve Dagdigian and Con Schmidt, the son of Milt?
              Originally posted by NCAA watcher
              Really close, Greg, and as you know, I posted a link to this story a few years ago on one of our UNH threads, the one from the Boston Globe referenced in the blog spoiler posted by watcher. As the story goes, Robbie poked Cap in the chest and asked him "How many do you want?" after Walpole went up 3-1, with only a minute and a half left in the game (I misremembered thinking that there were two and a half minutes remaining). Robbie and his line mates (you could be right, Greg) scored four goals in 52 seconds, to give Needham a 5-3 win, an undefeated season, and their second state championship in a row. Mike Milbury played defense for Walpole that year.

Comment

Whoa amazing stick save by the UNH product Winnik!!
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Whoa amazing stick save by the UNH product Winnik!!
                  Another former UNH hockey player constantly disparaged on these threads, in part for skipping his senior year, I think.

Comment

Really close, Greg, and as you know, I posted a link to this story a few years ago on one of our UNH threads, the one from the Boston Globe referenced in the blog spoiler posted by watcher. As the story goes, Robbie poked Cap in the chest and asked him "How many do you want?" after Walpole went up 3-1, with only a minute and a half left in the game (I misremembered thinking that there were two and a half minutes remaining). Robbie and his line mates (you could be right, Greg) scored four goals in 52 seconds, to give Needham a 5-3 win, an undefeated season, and their second state championship in a row. Mike Milbury played defense for Walpole that year.
                    To me, the best Mass high school kids I ever saw were Ftorek and Bobby Carpenter. Carpenter's Ftorek moment came in, I think, the 1981 EMass final. St. John's Prep (Carpenter's HS) was down by two with less than three to go to Matignon (Mark Fidler was their big gun). To top it off, they took a couple of penalties. All the Can't Miss Kid did was score two shorties to tie the game, with the Prep winning in OT. Carpenter was other worldly in high school.

Comment

• Re: Maybe the last word ... or not?

Hey Chuck, did you see the Eagles are headed to a tourney in Las Vegas?

You can't make this stuff up!!!!
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                        Hey Chuck, did you see the Eagles are headed to a tourney in Las Vegas?

You can't make this stuff up!!!!
                        Snake eyes, Felgie!!

To me, the best Mass high school kids I ever saw were Ftorek and Bobby Carpenter. Carpenter's Ftorek moment came in, I think, the 1981 EMass final. St. John's Prep (Carpenter's HS) was down by two with less than three to go to Matignon (Mark Fidler was their big gun). To top it off, they took a couple of penalties. All the Can't Miss Kid did was score two shorties to tie the game, with the Prep winning in OT. Carpenter was other worldly in high school.
                        Not questioning the opponent may have been Matignon ... but the Fidlers (Mike and Mark) were long gone from the HS/prep world well before Carpenter starred at SJP. Mike was at BU in the early/mid-'70's before going on to a journeyman career that saw him spend a few years in the NHL, mostly with Barons/North Stars (also, I think he went to Malden Catholic?).

Mark Fidler was lighting it up already at BU in the late '70's/early '80's - flaming out after a terrific frosh year, reportedly due to too much partying. Definitely a case of, "You can take the kid out of Charlestown, but you can't take the Charlestown out of the kid" in his case. I'm maybe a year or two younger than Mark, and the stories I heard around the time he was starring at BU were plentiful and it was not really a huge surprise to see his star crash way too early. It's certainly quite possible he was a Matignon kid - Jackie Parker had a nice pipeline for years between Matignon and BU. But he too was well away from the HS world by the time Carpenter's star rose.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Snake eyes, Felgie!!

Not questioning the opponent may have been Matignon ... but the Fidlers (Mike and Mark) were long gone from the HS/prep world well before Carpenter starred at SJP. Mike was at BU in the early/mid-'70's before going on to a journeyman career that saw him spend a few years in the NHL, mostly with Barons/North Stars (also, I think he went to Malden Catholic?).

Mark Fidler was lighting it up already at BU in the late '70's/early '80's - flaming out after a terrific frosh year, reportedly due to too much partying. Definitely a case of, "You can take the kid out of Charlestown, but you can't take the Charlestown out of the kid" in his case. I'm maybe a year or two younger than Mark, and the stories I heard around the time he was starring at BU were plentiful and it was not really a huge surprise to see his star crash way too early. It's certainly quite possible he was a Matignon kid - Jackie Parker had a nice pipeline for years between Matignon and BU. But he too was well away from the HS world by the time Carpenter's star rose.
                          Stand corrected. There were three Fidlers - Joe, Mike, and Mark. Joe and Mike played at MC, Mark played at Matignon. Joe had the distinction of suiting up for three of the four Beanpot schools, Harvard excepted. Mike was the best of the three, starring at BC and going on to the NHL. One of my lasting memories is the the 1974 EMass final, MC vs. Southie. This was six months before bussing began in the Boston schools. Anybody who went to that game would have predicted the mayhem to come after Southie fans trashed the Garden in the third period as their team got routed by MC.

Comment

To me, the best Mass high school kids I ever saw were Ftorek and Bobby Carpenter.
                            I heard Ftorek and Carpenter wanted to come to UNH but admissions said no.
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Article on Darren Haydar's battle with MS:

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...-ms-awareness/
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                Article on Darren Haydar's battle with MS:

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...-ms-awareness/
                                Thanks for posting this link, Mike.

Comment

Working...
                                X