Page 1 of 51 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Desk Chair Coach

UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Guess we should start this as - wait we aren't playing anymore.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Seasoned Veteran

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

It'll be interesting to see if we get any news out of the A.D.'$ office this week!

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What's the "clash question"? And thanks for starting the off season thread
    Let's Go 'Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by e.cat View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if we get any news out of the A.D.'$ office this week!
    I'd be amazed quite honestly..that Coach will retire early. People I've talked to that are close to him are adamant he will indeed fulfill his 3rd year. But, guess we'll find out.
    Let's Go 'Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    What's the "clash question"? And thanks for starting the off season thread

jB, should I tell her or should I not?

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Well come on and let me know.

I'd be amazed quite honestly..that Coach will retire early. People I've talked to that are close to him are adamant he will indeed fulfill his 3rd year. But, guess we'll find out.
    From the people I have talked to they are in the mind that umile will in fact retire and not return for next season. I am also in the same mindframe. I think it's time to hand over the reigns to Souza and hire a new assistant coach to get the program back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by deltabravo62 View Post
    Should he stay or should he go....

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    From the people I have talked to they are in the mind that umile will in fact retire and not return for next season. I am also in the same mindframe. I think it's time to hand over the reigns to Souza and hire a new assistant coach to get the program back on track.
    And I think that's what they want to be honest...more than the actual reality..

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Oh don't bother. Woosh after that fun weekend... Sigh. Always the last one in the room to get it. That train is never late!!
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-13-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deltabravo62 View Post
    This indecision's bugging me.

Watched the bench this weekend during time outs...obvious where this is at.

Desk Chair Coach

I haven't commented in sometime and this thread title just seemed like too much fun.

The real problem is a number of years ago:

the University said that he was theirs

and The Clash tells us he will retire?
    Last edited by JB; 03-13-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Just to keep the rumor mill churning Jeff Cox reports Tyler K is close to signing with the NJ Devils. He did a camp there a couple of summers ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Back to a possible coaching change. Watcher, Greg our those with more information. if Coach steps down and Michael assents in 17/18 could we lose recruits? It seems that when ever there is a coaching change that kids have an option to change their minds. While we imagine that perhaps this years kids are all coming to play for MS. Is their ability to change possible?

Quote Originally Posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Back to a possible coaching change. Watcher, Greg our those with more information. if Coach steps down and Michael assents in 17/18 could we lose recruits? It seems that when ever there is a coaching change that kids have an option to change their minds. While we imagine that perhaps this years kids are all coming to play for MS. Is their ability to change possible?
    Everyone of the recent recruits have been recruited by Souza with the intention of them playing for Souza as the head coach. Actually, I think you have a higher chance of losing recruits if umile comes back rather than losing them if he stays on.

Seasoned Veteran
    Personally, I have mixed emotions about this. Umile is from my era at UNH. Loved him as a player and as a Coach. Fierce competitor and if anyone bleeds blue it's him. But all good things come to an end. I do think it's time for him to pass the torch for the greater good of the program. I do think it's time for a fresh start. Umile can go out knowing he gave the program everything he had as a player and a Coach and if he's lucky the new team can bring home an NC in his lifetime.

Everyone of the recent recruits have been recruited by Souza with the intention of them playing for Souza as the head coach. Actually, I think you have a higher chance of losing recruits if umile comes back rather than losing them if he stays on.
    Really, it is time to turn the page. I know, I know, that's Bob Seger and not The Clash but it is the closest I could get to a musical metaphor.

In all seriousness, if Souza has been doing the recruiting, then he has made promises to these kids. He's been second banana for two years now. There has to have been conversations between he and Umile about speeding up the transition. Really, it does the program no good to have Dick hang around as the ultimate lame duck. If the team was riding some kind of sentimental wave that landed them in Boston this weekend I could see him holding on. But they were pretty brutal the last two months of the season. And while they made the valiant effort at Merrimack and the first game in Lowell, the last seven periods of the season were pretty brutal.

Just want to tease out something Watcher implied in the earlier thread. Is Glenn Stewart leaving? Assuming he takes the reins, is Souza seeking two assistants or one for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by e.cat View Post
    Personally, I have mixed emotions about this. Umile is from my era at UNH. Loved him as a player and as a Coach. Fierce competitor and if anyone bleeds blue it's him. But all good things come to an end. I do think it's time for him to pass the torch for the greater good of the program. I do think it's time for a fresh start. Umile can go out knowing he gave the program everything he had as a player and a Coach and if he's lucky the new team can bring home an NC in his lifetime.
    Do you really think he'd walk away with one year remaining on his contract, and only 14 wins (someone confirm) away from the 600 win milestone. I'd like to see him get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainehatlady View Post
    Do you really think he'd walk away with one year remaining on his contract, and only 14 wins (someone confirm) away from the 600 win milestone. I'd like to see him get there.
    The team as constituted will not reach 14 wins next year. Or haven't you been watching?

Thread Information