X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    If that's not the title of next season's thread...

UNH Hockey 2017/18 - All About Dick
    Hey, that's why it's all in capital letters, mon ami.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
      Danny meets the criteria for leadership and character. I know you do not like him but he was pretty good this year .912 save % with awful defense is pretty good and he had the most saves of any goalie in the country. I believe they will play the best players and we have enough firepower already Dan with our first 3 lines and the fourth line will be very good as well. Chris Miller won two awards at the banquet so he will not be sitting. Wyse is a top notch defensemen and played every game he was not hurt last year. Gildon, Maas and Miller (D) will be playing. If we can make it through the year without having multiple longer term injuries, I do believe we will be very good this year. I admire your passion but it is not Tirone's fault that we were well under .500 last year. We will not be near Denver but will have 19 games at the Whit. Make a trip back to visit your family and I hope you will be pleased with the product this year. Let us be positive as this is the best overall talent we have had in a long time (Kevin Regan is not walking through that door) and our top 6 defensemen will be 6-1 1/2 and 205 lbs with both defensive and offensive talent. Be optimistic and if we suck I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.
      We can all tell that you drank the Kool-Aid...

In college hockey .912 is no longer a good save percentage. When 30 goalies (all from different schools) are .913 or better last year .912 isn't good it is below average, borderline poor. Good to me is the top quartile - so top 15 - and that took a .920.

Might some of the shot totals have been just a bit lower if there was consistency in the glove hand and some rebound control?

Nobody is saying Tirone is not a good leader off the ice. He is not good enough for the guarantee of playing time that comes with a letter. You can be a leader without the letter.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
        If that's not the title of next season's thread...

UNH Hockey 2017/18 - All About Dick
        I really like the play on words... about Umile and based on the decisions to this point about Nothing...
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I must be confusing the 4.0 with another former UNH captain, but not sure who that might be.
          Not a captain, but my recollection is Flaishans left with a 4.0 double major.
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
            Not a captain, but my recollection is Flaishans left with a 4.0 double major.
            I was just reading a fine article about Brad Flaishans' success on Wall Street in the latest UNH Magazine. He did not pursue professional hockey, but immediately began his career in business, which included picking up a MBA at Harvard. It was noted that UNH averaged 24 wins and NCAA appearances all four of his seasons before he graduated in 2008. But, I was thinking of a player with 4.0 GPA from an earlier era.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              I was just reading a fine article about Brad Flaishans' success on Wall Street in the latest UNH Magazine. He did not pursue professional hockey, but immediately began his career in business, which included picking up a MBA at Harvard. It was noted that UNH averaged 24 wins and NCAA appearances all four of his seasons before he graduated in 2008. But, I was thinking of a player with 4.0 GPA from an earlier era.
              https://issuu.com/unhmag/docs/unh_magazine_spring_2017 page 77
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                We can all tell that you drank the Kool-Aid...

In college hockey .912 is no longer a good save percentage. When 30 goalies (all from different schools) are .913 or better last year .912 isn't good it is below average, borderline poor. Good to me is the top quartile - so top 15 - and that took a .920.

Might some of the shot totals have been just a bit lower if there was consistency in the glove hand and some rebound control?

Nobody is saying Tirone is not a good leader off the ice. He is not good enough for the guarantee of playing time that comes with a letter. You can be a leader without the letter.

I know we have nothing but hockey geniuses on this site and I appreciate most of the thoughtful postings of many on the board. I know Dan is a Tirone HATER, and most of the rest of you are on board. Would his save % be higher if he played on a trap team like Lowell, Providence, Merrimack, etc (even Denver does not leave their goalie to more than 3 grade A chances against them in most games). Danny Tirone faces 40+ shots per game with 30+% of those shots being grade A due to our defensive inadequacies over the past few years. He is not perfect but he is one of the better goalies in hockey east. Notre Dame fans saw him over a weekend and many said he was the best goalie they faced this year. He gave up 5 goals in two nights by standing on his head and they appreciated his outstanding athleticism. The ND goalie had about 5 grade A's over two nights and he gave up 3 goals and Danny saw about 30 grade A and gave up 5 goals. Who is a better goalie? If Danny was the goaltender of Notre Dame, would they have won both games or would Peterson make 28 grade A saves to keep it tied? It is crapola when you try to use useless stats that do not tell the whole story. Yes I get upset sometimes when he misses a glove save and yes he does it more than Kevin Regan or Casey Desmith did. All in all, he is better than you give him credit for. Please send your stats as a goalie JB as I think you may have played the position in Rochester.

Comment

I know we have nothing but hockey geniuses on this site and I appreciate most of the thoughtful postings of many on the board. I know Dan is a Tirone HATER, and most of the rest of you are on board. Would his save % be higher if he played on a trap team like Lowell, Providence, Merrimack, etc (even Denver does not leave their goalie to more than 3 grade A chances against them in most games). Danny Tirone faces 40+ shots per game with 30+% of those shots being grade A due to our defensive inadequacies over the past few years. He is not perfect but he is one of the better goalies in hockey east. Notre Dame fans saw him over a weekend and many said he was the best goalie they faced this year. He gave up 5 goals in two nights by standing on his head and they appreciated his outstanding athleticism. The ND goalie had about 5 grade A's over two nights and he gave up 3 goals and Danny saw about 30 grade A and gave up 5 goals. Who is a better goalie? If Danny was the goaltender of Notre Dame, would they have won both games or would Peterson make 28 grade A saves to keep it tied? It is crapola when you try to use useless stats that do not tell the whole story. Yes I get upset sometimes when he misses a glove save and yes he does it more than Kevin Regan or Casey Desmith did. All in all, he is better than you give him credit for.
                  '32, you raise some very fair points. It's unfortunate that Tirone's play has been such a lightning rod for discussion, as I do think he is coming in for a lot of undeserved criticism. To be fair, I don't know if I'd say he is definitively among the best in HE, because I think you would have to concede that his performances can be inconsistent. I'm also uncomfortable citing a particularly "good" weekend (i.e. Notre Dame) when there are other weekends when the opposite could have been said about his performance.

In fact, it's because the "good" Tirone can be SO good, that it makes it SO maddening when the "bad" Tirone shows up. But he's human, and we all have ups and downs. And I think unfortunately, Tirone takes a lot of heat because the guys who have been playing in front of him for the last two seasons have struggled for consistency themselves ... and it may not be until after the incoming frosh defensemen find their feet at the D-1 level that UNH finally solves that problem, by which time Tirone may well be gone to graduation, the ECHL, etc.

With all due respect to JB, I do think he slanted the stats a little harshly to try to display Tirone as a "below average, borderline poor" goalie. Just taking those numbers as is ... a .912 with 30 guys at .913 or above probably means there are 30 other guys who are .911 or below. That's bang average, right in the middle of the pack. At worst, that's .001 off average, which literally means Tirone "misses" one save out of a thousand shots that the guy in front of him makes. Not great, not poor. Average for D-1. Now figure in the quality of shots he has been facing this past season, as opposed to some/most of the guys just in front of him. I think a strong argument actually can be made that Tirone is a slightly above-average goalie ... but again, his inconsistency does him no favors in the perception of many.

At the end of the day, there is a huge rift in how many of us view modern day goalies, with this huge shift over the last generation from goalies with a semblance of athleticism, now leaning heavily towards huge guys who have learned to fill space, and not much else. For all the criticism directed towards Tirone's glove hand, I do find it interesting that some of the examples cited as the "best" currently in HE are guys who do everything possible to avoid the use of their glove hands, other than as an additional space blocker - not as a catcher.

I've described some of those guys as having "all the athleticism of a curbstone", but that sadly is what the scouts and talent evaluators are looking for now - and I'm not sure you can blame them. Scoring is down everywhere, and frankly it's not because modern goalies are more talented or athletic than their predecessors. Which is a shame for a sport that is incredibly athletic. It probably won't change until something basic about how the game is played is changed (i.e. making the net bigger, raising the crossbar, etc.) to get the goalies off their knees. And it's sadly another example of how "advanced analytics" have pushed the game in a bad direction quality-wise (unless of course you enjoy watching huge immobile goalies sliding back and forth between the posts on their knees, hunched under the crossbar).

AA have messed up baseball with the pitch count/walk-is-as-good-as-a-hit culture, it's messing up hoops with the overreliance on three point shooting at the expense of the midrange and post games, it's sapped the balance out of pro football by eliminating the importance of the running game at the expense of endless 5 yard passes ... and it's sucked the athleticism out of the goalie position in hockey, and now we see an endless stream of Ben Bishop types and too few Dominic Haseks.

[end of anti-advanced analytics rant for the day/]
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    AA have messed up baseball with the pitch count/walk-is-as-good-as-a-hit culture, it's messing up hoops with the overreliance on three point shooting at the expense of the midrange and post games, it's sapped the balance out of pro football by eliminating the importance of the running game at the expense of endless 5 yard passes ... and it's sucked the athleticism out of the goalie position in hockey, and now we see an endless stream of Ben Bishop types and too few Dominic Haseks.

[end of anti-advanced analytics rant for the day/]
                    I’m not a big advanced analytics guy myself, by which I mean they’re not something I enjoy or look at frequently, but the bottom line is if the stuff you mentioned above – 3 pt. shots, 5 yd. passes, big goalies – didn’t work, teams wouldn’t use them. I think you’re kind of blaming the messenger, aa might have uncovered or confirmed that those things work but aa didn’t create them.

Most of them are just natural evolutions of the games, or if there is blame, it’s on the rules that have been put in place. If you put a line on the floor and say shots from beyond it count more, pro athletes are going to get good at it, and what was once special or extra becomes normal. Did people really not see that coming? Same thing with skewing all the rules in favor of the offense, and suddenly teams don’t bother running the ball? No kidding.

One of the downfalls in hockey is when goalie equipment went from protection to performance. The Michelin Man look is all about blocking more of the net, not protecting the goalie. But I have at least an equal problem with cross checking now being all but legal - sorry, “working the hips”, (absolute crap). It’s the 21st century clutch and grab, allows slow footed defensemen to keep quick forwards in the corner, when they would otherwise leave that dman standing there and wheel out for a shot. We don’t have any more 50 goal scorers? Let guys like Marchand and Pastrnak control the puck in the corner without getting 6 ft. of lumber across the back and they’d both easily be 40 goal scorers this year. That’s not aa, that's the NHL being its old idiot self in terms of rules and officiating.

Science, analytics, facts, evolution this early in the morning?…as a Trump guy I’m sure your head is about to explode, apologies for that!
                    Last edited by E.J. Smith; 04-26-2017, 09:56 AM.
                    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

I know we have nothing but hockey geniuses on this site and I appreciate most of the thoughtful postings of many on the board. I know Dan is a Tirone HATER, and most of the rest of you are on board. Would his save % be higher if he played on a trap team like Lowell, Providence, Merrimack, etc (even Denver does not leave their goalie to more than 3 grade A chances against them in most games). Danny Tirone faces 40+ shots per game with 30+% of those shots being grade A due to our defensive inadequacies over the past few years. He is not perfect but he is one of the better goalies in hockey east. Notre Dame fans saw him over a weekend and many said he was the best goalie they faced this year. He gave up 5 goals in two nights by standing on his head and they appreciated his outstanding athleticism. The ND goalie had about 5 grade A's over two nights and he gave up 3 goals and Danny saw about 30 grade A and gave up 5 goals. Who is a better goalie? If Danny was the goaltender of Notre Dame, would they have won both games or would Peterson make 28 grade A saves to keep it tied? It is crapola when you try to use useless stats that do not tell the whole story. Yes I get upset sometimes when he misses a glove save and yes he does it more than Kevin Regan or Casey Desmith did. All in all, he is better than you give him credit for. Please send your stats as a goalie JB as I think you may have played the position in Rochester.
                      Sorry Chuck - these are not good (or fair) points, they are terrible points, as they are nothing more than outlandish, faux-anecdotal hyperbole. As the only person on this entire message board who watches every Denver/UNH game I can tell you without a doubt DU goalies face far more than three scoring chances a game and the idea that well over a third of the shots Tirone faces are Grade-A, and he is constantly under siege, is simply laughable. As in all Tirone faced at Michigan State was breakaways - when he faced NONE - laughable. As in Tirone is remotely the goalie Cal Peterson is laughable. If a wrist shot from the point gets by Tirone unscreened, that puck going in does not make it a grade-A scoring chance. If he has to dive across the crease because he's way out of position, that is not him stuffing out another scoring chance - its him being out of position...

1932 - if you would like to have a discussion of Tirone based in reality, statistics and video instead of whatever fantasy world you think he plays in, we can continue this conversation. Until then, your complete departure from what has actually taken place on the ice does Tirone the biggest disservice of anyone on this board. Us Tirone 'haters' wouldn't have to come here with the facts about his production and the video evidence of his performance so often if you didn't try to pretend he is Patrick Roy playing behind a bunch of mite defenders. Do Tirone a favor and stop attempting to build him up as the second coming, perhaps his actual performance will not be so dissapointing to the 'haters'...

---

BTW - speaking of facts. UNH allowed an average of 33.45 shots per game this season. So, essentially 40+...
                      Last edited by Dan; 04-26-2017, 10:46 AM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

As for your arguments Chuck - shouldn't it tell you something when everytime you defend Tirone you have to resort to how boring hockey is today with all these big slobs sliding post to post and (actually) keeping pucks out of the net? If you think hockey would be better off with Tirone types on every team - thats up to you. But, when the goal is to STOP the puck, Tirone is just not as good as many others.

And sticking with the theme of reality/facts of the larger pads you hate. I've been saving this post for you...

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        I keep seeing this complaint, so I checked and it is not true (unless you are laminating goalie pads being smaller now ). Twenty years ago goalie pads and gloves were at the largest size allowed. So maybe you are remembering the good old days of the eighties, but you seem to have totally forgotten the nineties and first half of the 2000s.

From at least 1928 until 1979 goalkeeper leg pads could only be a maximum of 10” wide and no aprons or webbing was allowed to extend more than 3 inches below the crotch. Beginning in 1959 dimensions were added for the goalkeeper’s glove. The rule for goalkeeper’s equipment was the same from 1959-1979 (barring rule number and section changes and adding the dimensions in cm). From the 1978-79 rules:

RULE 1
                        Goalkeeper’s Equipment
                        SECTION 15
                        . The goalkeepers’ leg pads shall not be wider than 10 inches [25.4cm] each when worn.
                        NOTE: Before the match starts, the referee should measure the pads upon request. He should not permit a goalkeeper to wear or use any garment or equipment which would give him undue assistance. Aprons or webbing, extending more than three inches [7.62cm] below the crotch, are not permitted. Protective padding attached to the back or forming a part of the goalkeepers’ gloves shall not exceed eight inches [20.32cm] in width at any point, nor shall it extend more than 2 inched [5.08cm] beyond his extended fingers.

In 1979 the rule was moved again, to Rule 3, Section 3 and rewritten and the glove dimensions were standardized. From 1979 to at least 1987 the rules for Goalkeeper’s Equipment were (from the 1986-87 rules):

RULE 3
                        Goalkeeper’s Equipment
                        SECTION 3.
                        a. With the exception of skates and stick, all equipment worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of protecting the head or body, and he must not wear any garment or use any contrivance that would give him undue assistance in keeping goal.
                        b . The leg guards worn by goalkeeper s shall not exceed 10 inches [25.40cm] in extreme width when on the leg of the player.
                        NOTE: Before the games starts, the referee should measure the pads upon request. He should not permit a goalkeeper to wear or use any equipment or garment that would give him undue assistance. Aprons or webbing extending more than three inches [7.62cm] below the crotch are not permitted. Protective padding attached to the back or forming a part of goalkeeper’s gloves shall not exceed eight inches [20.32cm] in width nor more than 16 inches [40.64cm] in length at any point.

I am missing the rules books for 1987-88 and 1988-89 and during one of those seasons the width of the leg pads was extended to 12 inches. Starting in 1990 the glove dimensions were changed again. The rules from 1990 to 2006 were, barring minor change of wordage, the same (from the 2001-02 rules):

RULE 3
                        Goalkeeper’s Equipment
                        SECTION 3
                        . a. With the exception of skates and stick, all equipment worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of protecting the head or body. The goalkeeper cannot wear any garment or use any contrivance that would provide undue assistance in keeping goal. Aprons or ebbing extending more than 3 inches [7.62cm] below the crotch are not permitted.
                        b . The goalkeeper’s leg pads shall not exceed 12 inches [30.48cm] in width.
                        c . The goalkeeper’s blocker glove shall not exceed 9 inches [22.86cm] in width or more than 17 inches [43.18cm] in length.
                        The cuff of the goalkeeper’s catching glove shall not exceed 9 inches [22.86cm] in width. The maximum length of the catching glove shall not exceed 17 inches [43.18cm]. Any bar or attachment (cheater bar) between the cuff and the thumb only shall extend from the cuff to the thumb in a straight line.

The rules were changed again in 2006 to reduce the width of the leg pads to 11 inches, limit the height and require a minimum height to the boot of the pads. The glove was also reduced in size, as the width was reduced an inch, the length two inches and the cuff an inch. Overall dimension were also added to limit the size of the glove. Additional rules were added to limit ability to use shoulder and chest pads to stop shots. The current rules (from the 2006-08 rules) has remained the same, barring another change in the numbering system used (rules became sections and vice versa starting with the 2012-14 rules; it is now Section 3, Rule 11):

RULE 3
                        Goalkeeper’s Equipment
                        SECTION 3
                        . a. With the exception of skates and stick, all equipment worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of protecting the head or body. The goalkeeper cannot wear any garment or use any contrivance that would provide undue assistance in keeping goal. Aprons or webbing extending more than three inches below the crotch are not permitted.
                        b. The goalkeeper’s leg pads shall not exceed 11 inches in width. The maximum length from the bottom mid-point to top mid-point of the pad is not to exceed 38 inches. The boot of the goal pad is to be no less than 7 inches in length. The boot channel of the goal pad must be flat or concave in appearance.
                        c. The goalkeeper’s blocker glove shall not exceed 8 inches in width or more than 15 inches in length at any point. The flap protecting the thumb and wrist must be fastened to the blocker and this protection must follow the contour of the thumb and wrist. This protective piece shall not exceed seven inches in length when measured from the top of the blocking surface. Raised ridges are not to be added to any portion of the blocking glove.
                        The goalkeeper’s catching glove may be a maximum of 48 inches measured around the perimiter of the glove. The wrist cuff of the goalkeeper’s catching glove shall not exceed 4 inches in width and 8 inches in height. The maximum distance from the heel of the catching glove to the outside edge of the glove shall not exceed 18 inches. Any bar or attachment (cheater bar) between the cuff and the thumb only shall extend from the cuff to the thumb in a straight line.

The truth is, the goalies are much, much better now than they were twenty years ago, not to mention most are also larger.

And not to throw water on our feel happy that Oettinger will be staying, but Michigan Tech's freshman goalie just signed as a free agent with Anaheim. There are differences of course, but still cause to worry (sorry Scarlet ).

Sean
                        Finally, the idea that only small goalies are athletic is just incorrect. Its the same thought process that leads UNH fans to believe Steve Moses is just some bastion of athletic ability and JVR loafs up and down the ice. Just because a player/goalie is small and makes it look difficult does not - in any way - mean that player is necessarily more athletic...
                        Last edited by Dan; 04-26-2017, 10:36 AM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Just using my eye test I would rate probably 10 or so other goalies in Hockey East ahead of Tirone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            With all due respect to JB, I do think he slanted the stats a little harshly to try to display Tirone as a "below average, borderline poor" goalie. Just taking those numbers as is ... a .912 with 30 guys at .913 or above probably means there are 30 other guys who are .911 or below. That's bang average, right in the middle of the pack. At worst, that's .001 off average, which literally means Tirone "misses" one save out of a thousand shots that the guy in front of him makes. Not great, not poor. Average for D-1. Now figure in the quality of shots he has been facing this past season, as opposed to some/most of the guys just in front of him. I think a strong argument actually can be made that Tirone is a slightly above-average goalie ... but again, his inconsistency does him no favors in the perception of many.
                            No offense taken. I admittedly grade hard. Technically Tirone is just below average. I will note I factor in the diet of cupcakes UNH had this last year. I will also admit to having a skewed view expectations of UNH goal tending based on what UNH had in net from 1997 to 2008 (ish).

Comment

Danny Tirone faces 40+ shots per game with 30+% of those shots being grade A due to our defensive inadequacies over the past few years. He is not perfect but he is one of the better goalies in hockey east. Notre Dame fans saw him over a weekend and many said he was the best goalie they faced this year. He gave up 5 goals in two nights by standing on his head and they appreciated his outstanding athleticism. The ND goalie had about 5 grade A's over two nights and he gave up 3 goals and Danny saw about 30 grade A and gave up 5 goals. Who is a better goalie? If Danny was the goaltender of Notre Dame, would they have won both games or would Peterson make 28 grade A saves to keep it tied? It is crapola when you try to use useless stats that do not tell the whole story.
                              I find this entertaining. I am fairly certain you just made up a bunch of stats to support your (emotional) argument. I took published statistics that included both good teams and some not so good teams #9 is Merrimack's goalie and they didn't finish too far ahead of UNH or #15 goalie from Michigan State they were the worst team in the Big 10. I didn't make up the shots on goal numbers or any others.

All in all, he is better than you give him credit for.
                              No actually he is exactly what I give him credit for, not as good as you give him credit. I don't hate Tirone. I think he needs consistent competition. I think he is inconsistent. I think it is easy to give him WAY too much credit for the 2 at Merrimack and one at UML and not nearly enough blame for the 1st and Merrimack and last at UML.

Please send your stats as a goalie JB as I think you may have played the position in Rochester.
                              I was never a goalie, I am not a goalie coach, I am not a hockey coach. I have watched hockey for decades and still play hockey with friends.

I still can see with my eyes and have it confirmed by the numbers that Tirone is a below average D1 goalie. I can see some of the problems: glove hand, rebound control, positioning... that doesn't mean I could coach him to fix those issues.

I most certainly could not do better myself.

None that means I am wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                                I find this entertaining. I am fairly certain you just made up a bunch of stats to support your (emotional) argument.
                                75% of each of UNH1932's posts is fiction and the other 25% is delusion.

Wow, this is fun! And so easy.

One time UNH1932 got a bad haircut, the barber cut his ear with the scissors and shaved a stripe down one side of his head, but '32 didn't complain, how could he, he's never been a barber.
                                I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                                How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Working...
                                X