This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Back to a possible coaching change. Watcher, Greg our those with more information. if Coach steps down and Michael assents in 17/18 could we lose recruits? It seems that when ever there is a coaching change that kids have an option to change their minds. While we imagine that perhaps this years kids are all coming to play for MS. Is their ability to change possible?
    Everyone of the recent recruits have been recruited by Souza with the intention of them playing for Souza as the head coach. Actually, I think you have a higher chance of losing recruits if umile comes back rather than losing them if he stays on.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      I'd be amazed quite honestly..that Coach will retire early. People I've talked to that are close to him are adamant he will indeed fulfill his 3rd year. But, guess we'll find out.
      Personally, I have mixed emotions about this. Umile is from my era at UNH. Loved him as a player and as a Coach. Fierce competitor and if anyone bleeds blue it's him. But all good things come to an end. I do think it's time for him to pass the torch for the greater good of the program. I do think it's time for a fresh start. Umile can go out knowing he gave the program everything he had as a player and a Coach and if he's lucky the new team can bring home an NC in his lifetime.
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
        Everyone of the recent recruits have been recruited by Souza with the intention of them playing for Souza as the head coach. Actually, I think you have a higher chance of losing recruits if umile comes back rather than losing them if he stays on.
        Really, it is time to turn the page. I know, I know, that's Bob Seger and not The Clash but it is the closest I could get to a musical metaphor.

In all seriousness, if Souza has been doing the recruiting, then he has made promises to these kids. He's been second banana for two years now. There has to have been conversations between he and Umile about speeding up the transition. Really, it does the program no good to have Dick hang around as the ultimate lame duck. If the team was riding some kind of sentimental wave that landed them in Boston this weekend I could see him holding on. But they were pretty brutal the last two months of the season. And while they made the valiant effort at Merrimack and the first game in Lowell, the last seven periods of the season were pretty brutal.

Just want to tease out something Watcher implied in the earlier thread. Is Glenn Stewart leaving? Assuming he takes the reins, is Souza seeking two assistants or one for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          Personally, I have mixed emotions about this. Umile is from my era at UNH. Loved him as a player and as a Coach. Fierce competitor and if anyone bleeds blue it's him. But all good things come to an end. I do think it's time for him to pass the torch for the greater good of the program. I do think it's time for a fresh start. Umile can go out knowing he gave the program everything he had as a player and a Coach and if he's lucky the new team can bring home an NC in his lifetime.
          Do you really think he'd walk away with one year remaining on his contract, and only 14 wins (someone confirm) away from the 600 win milestone. I'd like to see him get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainehatlady View Post
            Do you really think he'd walk away with one year remaining on his contract, and only 14 wins (someone confirm) away from the 600 win milestone. I'd like to see him get there.
            The team as constituted will not reach 14 wins next year. Or haven't you been watching?

Comment

No, I've been watching, but I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to hockey teams that I follow and coaches that I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainehatlady View Post
                okay, I think it's time to give this 600-win milestone thing a rest. To believe that this has been an explicit goal of the program would essentially require that we believe that:

- a man who has committed the majority of his adult life to the betterment of the UNH hockey program (and his college years as well) would suddenly become so selfish as to focus on his PERSONAL GAIN over the long-term success of his alma mater and employer

- that in some crude fashion, the athletic department was complicit in this, scheduling patsies for the 600-win plateau rather than recognizing the declining state of affairs and trying to ensure that the program was at least mildly competitive during this nadir. (An athletic department that is allegedly not necessarily in lockstep with the coach, by the way.)

I know it makes for good press, and I've enjoyed the Quest reflections! But to seriously believe that this is what has driven decision-making over the last couple of years goes beyond the pale and really disrespects the guy who has brought us more than our share of great moments over the last 20+ years, even if we didn't land the big one along the way.

I wish the 600 wins and a NC or two were treasures he could take with him into retirement. Assuming (and I am) that he's out, I'm pretty sure only one of those even registers on his radar.

Thanks, Coach, for all you've done/you did.
                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  okay, I think it's time to give this 600-win milestone thing a rest. To believe that this has been an explicit goal of the program would essentially require that we believe that:

- a man who has committed the majority of his adult life to the betterment of the UNH hockey program (and his college years as well) would suddenly become so selfish as to focus on his PERSONAL GAIN over the long-term success of his alma mater and employer

- that in some crude fashion, the athletic department was complicit in this, scheduling patsies for the 600-win plateau rather than recognizing the declining state of affairs and trying to ensure that the program was at least mildly competitive during this nadir. (An athletic department that is allegedly not necessarily in lockstep with the coach, by the way.)

I know it makes for good press, and I've enjoyed the Quest reflections! But to seriously believe that this is what has driven decision-making over the last couple of years goes beyond the pale and really disrespects the guy who has brought us more than our share of great moments over the last 20+ years, even if we didn't land the big one along the way.

I wish the 600 wins and a NC or two were treasures he could take with him into retirement. Assuming (and I am) that he's out, I'm pretty sure only one of those even registers on his radar.

Well said. Sick of hearing the whole "round number" stuff all season. Don't think it matters to man who gave more then anyone else to the program. To think that is the only thing he cares about is just plain insulting. No one is happy how the last couple of years have gone, and I am sure that coach is more upset then all of us. I am with everyone else and believe it's time for a change but will not go down the road of throwing dirt over a man who has. Ire passion for UNH hockey then all of us combines. I thanks him for all he has done and wish him luck going forward and hope he gets to sit back and watch the program rise back to the top. After all of it was t for Umile we wouldn't have the high expectations out of the team as we do.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

Well said wildcatdc
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

FYI - Two with Yale next season?

@ChipMalafronte
                      Yale hockey non-league games next year: home vs UNH, UMass, ASU (2), vs Sacred Heart in Bridgeport; vs. Duluth and UNH at Dartmouth tourney

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                        FYI - Two with Yale next season?

@ChipMalafronte
                        Yale hockey non-league games next year: home vs UNH, UMass, ASU (2), vs Sacred Heart in Bridgeport; vs. Duluth and UNH at Dartmouth tourney
                        Possibly, UNH will play Dartmouth on the first night of the tourney and if both UNH and Yale win or lose their first game they would meet again.
                        Last edited by deltabravo62; 03-14-2017, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          What's the "clash question"? And thanks for starting the off season thread
                          "Should I stay or should I go?"
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Just want to tease out something Watcher implied in the earlier thread. Is Glenn Stewart leaving? Assuming he takes the reins, is Souza seeking two assistants or one for next year?
                            I have no knowledge, but here are the data points I am looking at:

1) they have no real prior relationship, and it would not be unusual for a new coach to want to hire two of his own guys
                            2) They have not given him a lot of responsibility. The recruiting the past two years * seems* to be Souza, not Stewart
                            3) the on-ice product does not really scream "gotta keep him"
                            4) it is not unusual for a guy passed over for a job to move on of his own volition, and with other coaching changes, he may get a better position/security.

pro keeping
                            1) Some continuity with existing players
                            2) Stewart has experience recruiting, and if they go with a younger assistant/Souza contemporary, Stewart could provide experience
                            3) Stewart was UNH's rep at last week's Beantown classic, so it appears they have not phased him out completely
                            4) loyalty for a UNH alum who took a risk leaving Merrimack.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              I have no knowledge, but here are the data points I am looking at:

1) they have no real prior relationship, and it would not be unusual for a new coach to want to hire two of his own guys
                              2) They have not given him a lot of responsibility. The recruiting the past two years * seems* to be Souza, not Stewart
                              3) the on-ice product does not really scream "gotta keep him"
                              4) it is not unusual for a guy passed over for a job to move on of his own volition, and with other coaching changes, he may get a better position/security.

pro keeping
                              1) Some continuity with existing players
                              2) Stewart has experience recruiting, and if they go with a younger assistant/Souza contemporary, Stewart could provide experience
                              3) Stewart was UNH's rep at last week's Beantown classic, so it appears they have not phased him out completely
                              4) loyalty for a UNH alum who took a risk leaving Merrimack.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                "Should I stay or should I go?"
                                Yeah I finally got it...sigh. I'm better with lyrics/song titles than names of bands (unless it's the Beatles, etc...the Clash wasn't in my listening genre but of course, I knew the song...whatev!) Will say it's is a good thread title!
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-14-2017, 10:06 AM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X