X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Which counts for 1% of the vote
    Yeah I knew it didn't matter much...good luck tomorrow (doubt you will need it). Hear Chicago is nice this time of year...
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Why should Vecchione get the Hobey? He, Aston-Reece, and TyK all ended up with 63 points, and Foo with 62 points. As Dan well elaborated in a post a few paces back, TyK's case is far more compelling than the others.
      Unfortunately, and due in large part to UNHs team performance, TKs case was already lagging in the minds of many Hobey voters when I made that argument. With a couple of quiet weekends to finish the season, being out of sight for the last two weeks and his behind the line start in the Hobey race TKs chances have sailed. I'd still argue that he is the NCAA MVP - as I'd shudder to think where UNH would have finished without him - and that he has done more than anyone to increase the production of players around him, but I'll be surprised if he even finishes top-three at this point...

Vecchione and ZAR appear to be locks. And everyone is getting on the Will Butcher train. Butcher is good - but this in my mind is more 'best player/leader' on best team rationalization. DU is so loaded that I'm not sure they fall too far, if at all, without Butcher (DU would be much worse off without Borgstrom, Terry or even Gambrell). I certainly wouldn't consider him the best player on that team - let alone in the country. He is unquestionably looked to as the 'leader' but that team is full of character guys...

The biggest slap in the face to TK would be missing the hat trick in lieu of the goalie who couldn't even win ice time in the WCHA but transferred down and 'shockingly' excelled on a first place team in the AHA...
      Last edited by Dan; 03-25-2017, 08:20 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
        Which counts for 1% of the vote
        Thankfully, and perhaps the sports writers, coaches, and others will vote differently than the fans.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

With BUs season ending, thus begins the most interesting off-season in Hockey East - and one UNH recruiters should certainly keep an eye on!

BU will graduate just three seniors (Roberto, Somerby and Kelly) and Clayton Keller should be off to the NHL within a couple of days. However, the Terriers have seven very talented - and undoubtedly expensive - recruits lined up. Somethings gotta give...

Recruits Shane Bowers (potential first round pick), David Farrance (potential second round pick), Brady Tkachuk (2018, potential first), Logan Cockerill and Kasper Kotkasalo (mid rounders) are ready and likely to want to matriculate to BU immediately. Henry Crone and Ty Amonte have already deferred and are unlikely to want to play another season of junior hockey - Crone in particular as he is dominating in the USHL. Cameron Crotty is likely to be happy waiting until 2018, but is eligible to begin NCAA hockey in 2017.

BU could - and is likely to varying degrees - to lose other players to the professional ranks. JFK and McAvoy are strong early departure candidates to the Bruins. Greenway is already a pro from a physical standpoint. But I wonder if even those three departing would be enough to make the scholarship money work.

I can't see Harper (too soon for his size) or Oettinger (too soon for his position) leaving. I don't see Fabbro as ready. Bellows would be the guy who was expected to be a one and done - but he struggled and is the big wrench in the (scholarship) situation. Krys' situation is similar - to a lesser extent. Will either go anyway? I suppose Hickey could leave as a junior whom the Flames would not want to lose due to free agency.

It's possible BU has some roster casualties or upset deferrals who might be looking for other teams next fall. Something Souza definitely needs to keep an eye on. Last year Fortunato and Balliargion were casualties of a similar scenario.

Either one would have been a great fit at UNH. If there are similar availabilities this season UNH needs to be ready to pounce.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Yeah I knew it didn't matter much...good luck tomorrow (doubt you will need it). Hear Chicago is nice this time of year...
            Thanks, I'll be there regardless of tomorrow's results.
            BS UMass Lowell 2015
            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Hey, maybe we can get an OOC game or two with AHC cupcake Air Force next season? They could not even get by Harvud for a trip to Chicago.

Comment

http://www.fosters.com/sports/201703...rom-unhs-reach

"Our goal for next year is to get to the NCAA Tournament. If you get into the NCAA Tournament nowadays, it's very, very competitive, there's a lot of parody in college hockey and you have an opportunity to win it."

I'm sure its just a typo in the article, but somehow it seems appropriate
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                  http://www.fosters.com/sports/201703...rom-unhs-reach

"Our goal for next year is to get to the NCAA Tournament. If you get into the NCAA Tournament nowadays, it's very, very competitive, there's a lot of parody in college hockey and you have an opportunity to win it."

I'm sure its just a typo in the article, but somehow it seems appropriate
                  Sure does - especially considering the topic. Who says illiteracy can't be fun?

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  I have both Harvud and UML going to Chicago in my bracket, with Norm's team getting the hardware that is missing at Lake Whitt.
                  Agreed. If it happens ... guess which team would be the last to beat them on their way to the title?

A little deja vu from how things played out a couple of seasons ago perhaps ...

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                  PEA to UNH is not exactly a natural path academically.

The fact the Prudden, Caron, Larochelle followed that path years ago is just more indication of what engaged, brilliant recruiting and real buzz around a program can do.
                  Excellent point. More evidence of the unbelievable impact McCloskey had on the program.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    On another note; I was shocked to see that Harvard got it's first win in the NCAA tourney in 23 years! The negativity on this thread would be unbearable if UNH had a similar record!
                    Wanted to reply back to this after the Union shellacking yesterday; noted their fans, at least the ones who posted, were fairly positive despite the outcome. I have to give them a ton of credit for that and it make me wonder if we could've/would've done the same. (myself included). Didn't bother to go back and read the reaction to our last game with UML when we too got killed. Of course, they (Union) had a great year and thinking that makes a difference in fan reaction after a big loss like that. Easy to say "hey you had a great year" etc. when you make it as far as they did.

Not even sure why this is relevant in the big picture but I thought about your post after reading their reactions fwiw dept. At least we took it one step further this season than last even tho winning the first round is seen by some as meaningless, and as Felger points out, we were the last team to beat UML (up to today, depending on how things go but I'm thinking it's a no brainer they will win today) Just looking for the positive in the end of our season. Felt quite disheartened reading that story today in Foster's...while I attended probably most of those games in the past two seasons the losses sort of all blur together. Here's hoping for better things!!

HR's predictions for today: UML 4 UND 2
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-26-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      With BUs season ending, thus begins the most interesting off-season in Hockey East - and one UNH recruiters should certainly keep an eye on!

BU will graduate just three seniors (Roberto, Somerby and Kelly) and Clayton Keller should be off to the NHL within a couple of days. However, the Terriers have seven very talented - and undoubtedly expensive - recruits lined up. Somethings gotta give...

Recruits Shane Bowers (potential first round pick), David Farrance (potential second round pick), Brady Tkachuk (2018, potential first), Logan Cockerill and Kasper Kotkasalo (mid rounders) are ready and likely to want to matriculate to BU immediately. Henry Crone and Ty Amonte have already deferred and are unlikely to want to play another season of junior hockey - Crone in particular as he is dominating in the USHL. Cameron Crotty is likely to be happy waiting until 2018, but is eligible to begin NCAA hockey in 2017.

BU could - and is likely to varying degrees - to lose other players to the professional ranks. JFK and McAvoy are strong early departure candidates to the Bruins. Greenway is already a pro from a physical standpoint. But I wonder if even those three departing would be enough to make the scholarship money work.

I can't see Harper (too soon for his size) or Oettinger (too soon for his position) leaving. I don't see Fabbro as ready. Bellows would be the guy who was expected to be a one and done - but he struggled and is the big wrench in the (scholarship) situation. Krys' situation is similar - to a lesser extent. Will either go anyway? I suppose Hickey could leave as a junior whom the Flames would not want to lose due to free agency.

It's possible BU has some roster casualties or upset deferrals who might be looking for other teams next fall. Something Souza definitely needs to keep an eye on. Last year Fortunato and Balliargion were casualties of a similar scenario.

Either one would have been a great fit at UNH. If there are similar availabilities this season UNH needs to be ready to pounce.
                      Good analysis-For sure everyone expects Keller to play next week for Arizona and McAvoy to leave
                      others are a distinct possibility. Is UNH a viable option for players looking to the NHL?

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                        Good analysis-For sure everyone expects Keller to play next week for Arizona and McAvoy to leave
                        others are a distinct possibility. Is UNH a viable option for players looking to the NHL?
                        Keller is gone. He signed with the Coyotes.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Wanted to reply back to this after the Union shellacking yesterday; noted their fans, at least the ones who posted, were fairly positive despite the outcome. I have to give them a ton of credit for that and it make me wonder if we could've/would've done the same. (myself included). Didn't bother to go back and read the reaction to our last game with UML when we too got killed. Of course, they (Union) had a great year and thinking that makes a difference in fan reaction after a big loss like that. Easy to say "hey you had a great year" etc. when you make it as far as they did.

Not even sure why this is relevant in the big picture but I thought about your post after reading their reactions fwiw dept. At least we took it one step further this season than last even tho winning the first round is seen by some as meaningless, and as Felger points out, we were the last team to beat UML (up to today, depending on how things go but I'm thinking it's a no brainer they will win today) Just looking for the positive in the end of our season. Felt quite disheartened reading that story today in Foster's...while I attended probably most of those games in the past two seasons the losses sort of all blur together. Here's hoping for better things!!

HR's predictions for today: UML 4 UND 2
                          We may have taken one post-season game from the Osprey, but we did not interfere with their trip to the Garden as we did with the Friars the year that they won their first NC.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            What makes it infinitely easier is having a D-1 national title in your back pocket 3 years ago. If you are a Red Sox fan (not me - but just sayin'), I think you'll make a quick and easy comparison. Everything was scorched earth (think Grady Little) up until they got that huge monkey off their back in '04. I can understand somewhat from the DRW drought that ended in '97, and in football when the NY Giants broke through in '86 (measuring both in terms of my fan lifetime). Once you get to the top, the times you fall short hurt a lot less. It's called complacency, at least to some degree. UNH's unique *trick* is that their admin, AD and HC are complacent without the D-1 title.

I think O'Leary's take in the Foster's article is a fair and accurate one. Nothing many of us on her haven't said a dozen times already. ROL is a good guy who rarely lashes out for the sake of stirring the pot, so that counts for extra (to me anyway).

I'm also one who has warned that we'd hear the "hey we made progress from last season" argument in defense of Umile's return. When all we've actually done is dig in deeper in 10th place.

HR's predictions for today: UML 4 NICC 2
                            Dear God in heaven, I hope you are right (hope you don't mind that I fixed your typo ).
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              We may have taken one post-season game from the Osprey, but we did not interfere with their trip to the Garden as we did with the Friars the year that they won their first NC.
                              Right and it's hardly a blip in their radar at this point. Nothing to hang onto in the grand scheme o things. Imagine the Friars hardly consider that an issue either even tho it's been the best thing the team has managed to do as of late...UNH has to win many big games next season and not just over the "cupcakes" (whomever they may be haven't seen the schedule yet) to make it back to a Regional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                What makes it infinitely easier is having a D-1 national title in your back pocket 3 years ago. If you are a Red Sox fan (not me - but just sayin'), I think you'll make a quick and easy comparison. Everything was scorched earth (think Grady Little) up until they got that huge monkey off their back in '04. I can understand somewhat from the DRW drought that ended in '97, and in football when the NY Giants broke through in '86 (measuring both in terms of my fan lifetime). Once you get to the top, the times you fall short hurt a lot less. It's called complacency, at least to some degree. UNH's unique *trick* is that their admin, AD and HC are complacent without the D-1 title.

I think O'Leary's take in the Foster's article is a fair and accurate one. Nothing many of us on her haven't said a dozen times already. ROL is a good guy who rarely lashes out for the sake of stirring the pot, so that counts for extra (to me anyway).

I'm also one who has warned that we'd hear the "hey we made progress from last season" argument in defense of Umile's return. When all we've actually done is dig in deeper in 10th place.

Dear God in heaven, I hope you are right (hope you don't mind that I fixed your typo ).
                                Haha appreciate you fixing my post I thought you might!! Actually I like his reporting; it's an honest reflection of what's really going on; no sugar coating the situation. Baseball isn't my thing but can understand the comparison; once you win the big one you get alittle slack when you need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X