Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS. View Post
    McShane was my coach at the Phillips Exeter Hockey Camp in 1972 or 1973? Always hoped he would coach at UNH.
    Along with Bill Beany (8 Div 3 NC's in 1995-1999 and 2004-2006 over 28 seasons as HC at Middlebury, overall record 593-241-55, including 5 seasons as HC at New England College; last season at Middlebury 2014-2015, so I guess that the NRN did not mean much to him), UNH cranked out three very successful coaches from the 1971-1973 classes.

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Along with Bill Beany (8 Div 3 NC's in 1995-1999 and 2004-2006 over 28 seasons as HC at Middlebury, overall record 593-241-55, including 5 seasons as HC at New England College; last season at Middlebury 2014-2015, so I guess that the NRN did not mean much to him), UNH cranked out three very successful coaches from the 1971-1973 classes.
    If my math is correct, the 3 of them combined just attained the NRN at 1,901. Maybe Coach was planning to help McShane get to the NRBRN (Next Really Big Round Number), which explains why he's sticking around.

Now for some shocking NH college hockey coaching news that seems to have flown under the radar recently ...

http://www.uscho.com/2017/03/22/long...hing-different

After 15 seasons as the head coach of the St. Anselm men’s team, Ed Seney announced recently that he will be resigning from his position.

Thirty-six years is a long time to do something,” Seney said in a news release. “I’m thinking it’s time to try something different. It’s almost like being a kid graduating college, but I’m graduating older. I’ll need something to fill that teaching and coaching void, but it’s kind of exciting, too.”

“I started in 1981 as a 21-year old, getting a room, a meal card and driving the bus,” Seney said of getting into coaching. “I knew I wasn’t good enough to make a living playing, but I wanted to stay in the game somehow because I had a passion for it.”

It's like they're living in an alternate universe over there in Goffstown ...
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Four years ago Denver threw their program into upheaval when the AD refused to give in to their 2 time NCAA champ coach because his recent performance did not warrant an extension. They have now been in the last two Frozen Four.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; Yesterday at 11:54 AM.
    He's noble enough to know what's right. But weak enough not to choose it. He's wise enough to win the world. But fool enough to lose it .

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Four years ago Denver threw their program into upheaval when the AD refused to give in to their 2 time NCAA champ coach because his recent performance did not warrant an extension. They have now been in the last two Frozen Four.
    Luckily (maybe I should say "unfortunately") for you he did, because if Maine had actually CALLED Montgomery and hired him, DU might be a few more wins away from the NRN. That might have made the "decision" easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    If my math is correct, the 3 of them combined just attained the NRN at 1,901. Maybe Coach was planning to help McShane get to the NRBRN (Next Really Big Round Number), which explains why he's sticking around.

Now for some shocking NH college hockey coaching news that seems to have flown under the radar recently ...

http://www.uscho.com/2017/03/22/long...hing-different

After 15 seasons as the head coach of the St. Anselm mens team, Ed Seney announced recently that he will be resigning from his position.

Thirty-six years is a long time to do something, Seney said in a news release. Im thinking its time to try something different. Its almost like being a kid graduating college, but Im graduating older. Ill need something to fill that teaching and coaching void, but its kind of exciting, too.

I started in 1981 as a 21-year old, getting a room, a meal card and driving the bus, Seney said of getting into coaching. I knew I wasnt good enough to make a living playing, but I wanted to stay in the game somehow because I had a passion for it.

It's like they're living in an alternate universe over there in Goffstown ...
    Tough two seasons without Beany at the helm, as Middlebury was dead last in NESCAC this year, with 3-15-0 record (3-19-2 overall).

Will be mostly up to McShane to get the threesome up to the NRBRN, I think.

As for St Anselms, they rejected overtures to join Div 1 AHC when Yukon bolted for HEA, but despite a 7th place finish in the NEHC (7-10-1; 12-12-2 overall) this past season, presumably they remain a candidate to join the Cow Hamsha version of the Bean Pot tournament in Manchvegas, no?
    Last edited by Snively65; Yesterday at 03:09 PM.

As for St Anselms... presumably they remain a candidate to join the Cow Hamsha version of the Bean Pot tournament in Manchvegas, no?
    Good Lord, I hope such a hideous concept never sees the light of day.

Didn't think the out of conference schedule could possibly get weaker than this past season, but such a tourney would do so.

At least the in state tournament UNH participates in next season has a couple teams that have won National Championships in recent years....
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

The cupcake theme will continue only if UNH continues to go heavy on scheduling the, er, um ... cupcakes.

Personally, I think there are at least 14 very good reasons why BS35+5 will continue doing so next season.

I just want to echo the comments of Snively65, Dan and many others ... watched the Air Force v. Harvard game last night, and Air Force was hanging in there with the Crimson right to the bitter end. It's efforts like these in elimination games that make a season-ending loss just a little more tolerable. Admirable to say the least, and a great reflection on Coach Serratore, his players, and the whole AF program.

Now if this was the pattern of the last 25+ seasons at UNH, I think folks would be a lot more tolerant about a rare no-show performance here and there. Hey, sometimes it happens (see Union last night). But when a pattern emerges and recurs every couple of seasons, it does lead any knowledgeable hockey fan to say ... "hmmmm ... most of these games are usually white knuckle, down to the final buzzer affairs ... why are ours so different?" Even in the UNH apex years, it was still happening too often. This has had a cumulative effect on the UNH faithful, and while I'm prepared to give Coach Souza a chance in his new duties, his connection with Umile is only going to bring that beast back to life the first time UNH tonks it to the next Niagara/RIT, or the first time they get blown out by an established program.

God, I'm really tired of treading over this tired old ground again and again ... but isn't this going to be the legacy of what Coach is going to leave behind, unless something amazing takes place over the next 12 months?
    JHC Chuck. How many FF has Air Force been in? How many regional finals? In fact, how many NCAAs? And in 25 years, what is UNH's answer to those same questions? You can heap all you want on Umile, but he has done most everything that Serratpre and, I might add, Bazin want to do. The last five years have been miserable, and ultimately they are Umile's fault. But the program accomplished a hell of a lot from 1992 to 2012. Something that should not be overlooked.

And to expand on the Bazin theme. He's 1-5 in regional finals I believe. The only time they advanced was when they beat UNH 2-0 in 2013 after Denver gooned it up and Downing and Goumas didn't play in the final. So when do UML fans get tired of the almost misses? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Felger View Post

Didn't think the out of conference schedule could possibly get weaker than this past season, but such a tourney would do so.
    Hey - sometimes you gotta think outside the box, Felgie. And if we're really committed to getting Coach to the NRN on his way out the door, no cupcake opportunity can be overlooked.

Rack it up at the former Verizon Wireless Arena, let SNHU co-host, invite the Dartmouth folks with their holiday tourney sponsor as the other co-host, and St. A's makes it four. Also, (re)name the trophy after our soon-to-be-retiring coach. Draw the post-holiday returns crowd to beautiful downtown ManchVegas while the spirit of the season is still lingering in the air.

Welcome to the ____ Annual Ledyard Bank "Old Man of the Mountain Riverstone Classic Powered by SNHU, where four in-state NH powers compete for the iconic Umile Cup By George's Apparel - a unique turtleneck-clad trophy to be awarded by the great man himself (subject to availability), honoring the coach most known for the trophy he wasn't able to capture for almost 30 years.

At least the in state tournament UNH participates in next season has a couple teams that have won National Championships in recent years....
    Wow - sounds challenging - almost misplaced for next season.

Seriously, though ... do we know why a going-nowhere, never-has-been-close program on the other side of the state, bordering on the bustling metropolis/tourism magnet that is White River Junction VT, can host a holiday tournament that draws two recent D-1 national championship programs, and UNH just looks on, and goes to other program's events? I mean, other than the "Scott Borek Invitational" August showcase that we apparently facilitate for the benefit of the rest of HE and the ECAC, of course? BS35+5?? Buehler???

The games against the Div 3 teams would not count in the Div 1 standings, of course, like the pre-season games against the Canadian goon teams, but rather just a test of Div 1 elitism in Cow Hamsha, like the old Riverstone Cup between UNH and Dartmouth.

Hey - sometimes you gotta think outside the box, Felgie. And if we're really committed to getting Coach to the NRN on his way out the door, no cupcake opportunity can be overlooked.

Rack it up at the former Verizon Wireless Arena, let SNHU co-host, invite the Dartmouth folks with their holiday tourney sponsor as the other co-host, and St. A's makes it four. Also, (re)name the trophy after our soon-to-be-retiring coach. Draw the post-holiday returns crowd to beautiful downtown ManchVegas while the spirit of the season is still lingering in the air.

Welcome to the ____ Annual Ledyard Bank "Old Man of the Mountain Riverstone Classic Powered by SNHU, where four in-state NH powers compete for the iconic Umile Cup By George's Apparel - a unique turtleneck-clad trophy to be awarded by the great man himself (subject to availability), honoring the coach most known for the trophy he wasn't able to capture for almost 30 years.

Wow - sounds challenging - almost misplaced for next season.

Seriously, though ... do we know why a going-nowhere, never-has-been-close program on the other side of the state, bordering on the bustling metropolis/tourism magnet that is White River Junction VT, can host a holiday tournament that draws two recent D-1 national championship programs, and UNH just looks on, and goes to other program's events? I mean, other than the "Scott Borek Invitational" August showcase that we apparently facilitate for the benefit of the rest of HE and the ECAC, of course? BS35+5?? Buehler???

Got distracted in writing my now pre-empted reply to Felger, but two other possible participants in the Annual Ledyard Bank "Old Man of the Mountain" Riverstone Classic Powered by SNHU Cup (I agree, it has a nice ring to it)are PSU (no, not the one in the B1G) and NEC. Plymouth State just completed another very good regular season, leading MASCAC with a 16-1-1 record (19-6-2) overall, although they got bounced in the first round of the MASCAC playoffs. New England College, where McShane began his coaching career, was second in NEHC with a 15-6-0 record (19-8-0) overall (no ties allowed in NEHC?). Perhaps the three Div 3 teams can rotate in every two of three years?

There is another annual thread called something like Bottom Feeders, but this Cow Hamsha cup should not be confused with the Futile Four for the Bottom Feeders.
    Last edited by Snively65; Yesterday at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    JHC Chuck. How many FF has Air Force been in? How many regional finals? In fact, how many NCAAs? And in 25 years, what is UNH's answer to those same questions? You can heap all you want on Umile, but he has done most everything that Serratpre and, I might add, Bazin want to do. The last five years have been miserable, and ultimately they are Umile's fault. But the program accomplished a hell of a lot from 1992 to 2012. Something that should not be overlooked.
    Greg, my response there was simply to the question about how fans of some programs seem to accept a season-ending loss differently than others. I think (hope?) my point - that losing with honor, or losing with a recent past D-1 title in your pocket - takes some of the sting out of such losses was not lost on others, as it was apparently lost on you.

I simply used AF as an example of how even a newbie underdog can overperform in a big game, avoid getting blown out, and lose with honor in a way that reflects well upon their program. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe if they become a regular participant, we'll see them exposed and suffer some blowout losses? Time will tell. I wasn't making that point, but that leads us nicely into your next point ...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    And to expand on the Bazin theme. He's 1-5 in regional finals I believe. The only time they advanced was when they beat UNH 2-0 in 2013 after Denver gooned it up and Downing and Goumas didn't play in the final. So when do UML fans get tired of the almost misses? Just asking.
    ... and I'm glad you raised this point - not me - because I happen to like Coach Bazin, and admire what he's been able to do so far with UMass Lowell. But in fairness, it's been something I've given some thought to over the last year or so. And I think we are approaching the point where some questions can begin to be fairly asked about whether UML has just been experiencing a series of bad breaks on their way up the competitive pyramid ... OR if this *might* be a sign of something more pervasive, and they might never get to the top.

There are some similarities for sure. And there are some pretty stark differences too. It took UML less than a decade to win their 3 HE Tourney trophies, whereas UNH won their two back-to-back after Coach Umile had been in charge for over a decade. Lowell teams seem to be built to grind things out in those HE Tourney games, and they still seem to be drawing increasingly more talented teams. But their history to date that should at least begin to cause their fans some concern is that they seem to be tripping up regularly in the Round of 8 and missing out on the FF - sometimes even on pseudo "home ice" in Manch - sound familiar, UNH fans?

I do think UML is arguably still in its ascendancy, so I'm probably more willing to wait a few more seasons to see if they have their big breakthrough ... or if they continue to trend towards "bridesmaid" territory like UNH ultimately did as the UNH apex seasons began to fade further into the rear view mirror of history.

It probably doesn't help that two Sons of Walshy are leading prominent competing programs in Denver and Providence, with one having already taken the big trophy, and the other looking odds-on to do so this Spring. But if UML gets the reputation of an "almost" program, we've experienced how that can play out, and how the positive buzz around a program can eventually turn into a monotonous drone.

But yeah, I think it's at least fair to begin to raise those questions about UML. Yesterday's loss was shocking.

Got distracted in writing my now pre-empted reply to Felger, but two other possible participants in the Annual Ledyard Bank "Old Man of the Mountain" Riverstone Classic Powered by SNHU Cup (I agree, it has a nice ring to it) ...
    Just kind of rolls off the tongue, doesn't it Snively65.

And, fwiw, they fired him after Denver lost the NCAA regional game to UNH. They clearly saw their program was going in the wrong direction and made the adjustment.

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH

Matias Cleland released from his PTO contract with the Wheeling Nailers Alex Hall of the ULeader reports on twitter...Played in 5 games, 1 goal, -2 rating.
    Let's Go 'Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by scoreboard View Post
    And, fwiw, they fired him after Denver lost the NCAA regional game to UNH. They clearly saw their program was going in the wrong direction and made the adjustment.
    http://www.denverpost.com/2013/04/01...after-19-years

I'm sure Dan has much more detail, but some interesting points from how DU moved on from Gwozdecky:

* Looks like yet another coach walking around with a virtual "lifetime contract" (12 years starting in '01);
    * He and his agent were discussing a possible contract extension starting in '09, right up until he was fired;
    * The DU program had regressed from its apex years a decade earlier, exiting regularly in the Round of 16;
    * Only one (1) year was left on Gwozdecky's contract at the time he was relieved of his duties/bought out.

It's interesting to see how Denver handled the situation, as opposed to how BS35+5 has handled it ...

Gwozdecky, 59, compiled a 443-267-64 record at DU.

“We certainly wish George the best in his future endeavors and we are thankful for his 19 years at the helm of our hockey program,” DU vice chancellor for athletics and recreation Peg Bradley-Doppes said in a release from the school after announcing Gwozdecky’s departure. “He certainly had his fair share of success, returning the program to the pinnacle of the collegiate hockey world during our great run in the middle of the previous decade. In addition, he has always run our program with class and professionalism, which has certainly made our fans proud to be Pioneer supporters.”

“We must now turn our attention toward a new direction for our hockey program with another innovative coach taking the lead for our inaugural season in the newly formed National Collegiate Hockey Conference,” Bradley-Doppes said in the release.

It's the difference between an AD who means business, and an AD who's just ducky with the status quo.

But they at least let Gwozdecky pick his successor without a national search, and insisted that it be someone with a DU pedigree so he could impart on recruits the program's history and tradition.
    He's noble enough to know what's right. But weak enough not to choose it. He's wise enough to win the world. But fool enough to lose it .

But they at least let Gwozdecky pick his successor without a national search, and insisted that it be someone with a DU pedigree so he could impart on recruits the program's history and tradition.
    Fake news at its best!

Go 'cats!

...By George's Apparel...
    Classic.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Thread Information