This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    You're wrong. The powers that be probably run it by him, especially after the dysfunctional Gib Chapman era. But hand picking Scarano, or having veto power? None.
    Really? When Sacarano was brought in Umile was King of the hill, the only game in town, and you're telling me Umile didn't have a place at the table? I don't think so!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      I posted before, I think on last weekend's game thread, that the U paying someone not to coach (or not to do anything) is bad PR as they head to Concord fighting for every penny. Consultant would be better than not being there, but it is just a title. He can, and probably is, consulting with Souza and Stewart every day as HC.
      Maybe hire him as consultant to hang around the old persons retirement home, looking for the next millionaire librarian?

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Really? When Sacarano was brought in Umile was King of the hill, the only game in town, and you're telling me Umile didn't have a place at the table? I don't think so!
      Umile being able to get Scarano to abdicate his job and instead allow Umile to hire his successor probably used up last political capital.
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-14-2017, 07:20 PM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        I posted before, I think on last weekend's game thread, that the U paying someone not to coach (or not to do anything) is bad PR as they head to Concord fighting for every penny. Consultant would be better than not being there, but it is just a title. He can, and probably is, consulting with Souza and Stewart every day as HC.

We finished the season, the last 2 weeks not the last day, positively. I'm not all that concerned about who the HC is next year, assume it will be Coach Umile and would love to see him finish on a relative high note.
        Yeah. Would love to see him finish on a high note but if a bullfrog had wings he could fly. History is no guarantee of future results but I'm a seller at this point, not a buyer!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Maybe hire him as consultant to hang around the old persons retirement home, looking for the next millionaire librarian?

Umile being able to get Scarano to abdicate his job and instead allow Umile to hire his successor probably used up last political capital.
          That's a very good point!

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Not sure how old you are but my guess is that you are not collecting social security. I am, and one of the reasons I retired and sold my business in the process is because I knew I had lost my fastball. There was a time that I thought I'd work until I was 70 or so. However when I got to be 63 or 64 I could start to sense that my business world (insurance) was starting to pass me by. So I started the process. It took over two years but I can tell you I left with no regrets.

Now Umile is not an insurance agent, but he has been a highly respected individual in his profession. Sad to say that, no matter the profession, there a lot of people who just don't get that they are not up to speed anymore. I have a couple of good friends my age in the business who just can't give it up, even if one is 72 and the other 68. Now Umile doesn't call the shots like my friends and I did. But like us he's going to,have to self-discover. Not everybody is wired that way, even when the obvious is staring them in the face.
            Bingo. I am probably about your age Greg. Had a great consulting business for the last 25 years. I do a very limited gig now with one client where my skill set still really fits. But I don't have the skills or drive in other areas like the young guys do. I don't want to get up to speed -- too much of a project. When my limited work drys up or I, inevitably, start losing it there, I will hang it up and live on what I've got and a little SS.

Came to UNH in 1970. Loved Umile as a player. He did a lot for the program as a coach. But it's time for a change. When you "lose your fastball", it's time. The mythical number is just a number. It's time for a new guy to get a shot at resurrecting the program.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Chuck I will go out on a limb and pose this q to you...sure it's entirely possible maybe even likely that DU was given the 3 year gig to tidy up things, get to 600, win a NC etc but now you use the word "allowed" to stay? I guess what I have a hard time believing is he would actually be pushed to leave by MS (BS whatever the number is )..I know wildcatdc has alluded to this in his preseason posts so this could be possible I guess...but seems to me he (DU) has held all the cards to this point?

Will Marty actually say "welp it's been nice but it's time" and can UNH pay him for leaving early? Maybe some of that money from the librarian is still in escrow...In all seriousness unless DU decides that now is the time am curious (almost incredulous) that MS will show him the door.
              Regarding use of the term "allowed" ... there is one (1) year left on Coach Umile's contract. No doubt it obligates UNH to pay him a set sum for his coaching services next season. What it almost certainly does NOT obligate UNH (or entitle Coach Umile) to do is to put Coach behind the bench. There are folks all over the coaching landscape who have been terminated before the terms of their contract have expired - pro, college, and probably a select few HS coaches from affluent programs - who are still getting paid by their program/club NOT to coach.

Whether it's called a buyout, early retirement, etc. ... Coach has virtually zero leverage, being under contract for one more season at his alma mater, with no recent track record of success to support his continued presence at the front of his program. He's probably spent the last remaining bit of his capital on hiring Souza as his own replacement (as 'Watcher points out), and in doing so, he continues to coach at the AD's generosity. The cost associated with a buyout (max the one year remaining on his deal) has never been lower, and the case for his continued presence as HC has never been weaker.

I'm sure there will be a few folks up in Concord who would gripe if they bought Coach out early ... but think about it, what's the real cost to do this? Coach Souza and Coach Stewart are both already under contract, so UNH was going to pay all three guys next season anyway. If you replace Coach Umile next season with an assistant making a fraction of what Umile makes, then that (plus any contractual "bump" that Souza may get for moving to the HC job a year earlier than expected) is the actual added or extra cost of buying him out. And my guess is that number would be a lot closer to $100,000 (if that?) than the $250,000 or so you're already obligated to pay Coach Umile regardless.

Coach Umile hasn't been holding all the cards since he agreed to the 3 year plan with his guy (instead of Borek or an outside candidate from a national search) waiting to take over when he finished up.

My guess (and yes, it's a guess, but with some logic) is the decision is finalized tomorrow - by the AD, not Coach - and then on Thursday there is the season-ending presser, plus the HE awards banquet later that night.

If Coach is still in charge after Thursday's events, then it's on with The Quest for the NRN, I'm afraid. JMHO.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                And another one gone,
                Another one gone
                Another one bites the dust

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...-UNO-Coach.php
                Add Red Berenson at Michigan. Now just Umile and York in the over 60 set.

edit: Andy Murray, Western
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-15-2017, 06:50 AM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  There's a difference between having a seat at the table, which is essentially what I said, and having a hand in bringing Scarano in, which implies that he was part of a recruiting process. Although Scarano had worked at Colgate, when he got to UNH he had to get up to speed when it came to hockey. I think we can all agree he has badly managed the hockey culture during his reign, now going on 17 years.

Comment

Dean Blais as well. Young man's game. It wouldn't shock me if York retired as well. He's 71 and he has had to deal with this vision problem for the past couple of years. If BC has a run in the playoffs, gets to the FF, he might bid adieu.

Comment

Dean Blais as well. Young man's game. It wouldn't shock me if York retired as well. He's 71 and he has had to deal with this vision problem for the past couple of years. If BC has a run in the playoffs, gets to the FF, he might bid adieu.
                      Blais, out of the game as of yesterday, and seemingly pushed after wondering incredulously about how rumors get started just two days ago...
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-15-2017, 08:46 AM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

edit: Andy Murray, Western
                        Speaking of Red B just read that he will make the announcement shortly (after their tournament appearance?) and that it is "on the table". What really caught my eye was a Michigan hockey blogger who really nailed what I see as the issue (which Greg has made clear)is far too common not only in athletics: (And in no way am I trying to imply Coach U is a Bobby Bowden or Joe Paterno (ugh)

"You see it when a coach becomes synonymous with a program and nobody can tell him it's over. Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden are the prime exemplars. Those regimes had upward blips that were just enough ammunition to say "he's still got it" amidst a steady long-term decline, and ending them was either a nasty fight (Bowden) or only triggered by something unthinkable Paterno"

-the column ended with a very true statement we ALL deal with at one time or another: "Time makes beggars of us all"....
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-15-2017, 11:00 AM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

College hockey coaching is a young mans game. You have to have the energy and motivation (recruiting trips, etc) and also connect with potential recruits. I cant speak highly enough of Coach Umile. He is a legend. That being said I think most of us are in agreement that its best for the UNH hockey program for him to retire at this point so we can transition into the next phase of UNH hockey. The program needs a shot in the arm. I expect an announcement tomorrow that he is in fact retiring and Souza takes over.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                            College hockey coaching is a young mans game. You have to have the energy and motivation (recruiting trips, etc) and also connect with potential recruits. I cant speak highly enough of Coach Umile. He is a legend. That being said I think most of us are in agreement that its best for the UNH hockey program for him to retire at this point so we can transition into the next phase of UNH hockey. The program needs a shot in the arm. I expect an announcement tomorrow that he is in fact retiring and Souza takes over.
                            I think we're all trending in that direction. Any idea who Mike hires to help him?
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              And just because one may advocate for his retirement does not mean that it is done in a mean-spirited way. There is no correlation there. Because there are always exceptions. Nobody is saying there should be a "mandatory retirement" age. But after watching video of the last couple of post-game pressers, he just seemed, I don't know, "resigned," or "defeated," or "lacking energy." Not sure what the exact word is...but time beats everybody down eventually.

Comment

In other news...TyK is a top ten finalist for the Hobey and Patrick Hrasso makes the HE all rookie team!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X