X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    And there you have it. When evaluating why Umile came up short in so many games, I never ever want to hear anybody talk about how fierce a competitor he is, how much energy he devoted to the program, or how he bleeds blue and deserved better.

He abdicated half of his job, while York was on the road helping recruit that last necessary player. Just like he grabbed the last bit of money on the table even though it was harmful to the future of the program, he refused to do that last little bit to help UNH get over the hump. Stop the narrative about his tireless devotion to winning.
    Tough but fair. If Coach Umile was as good as Umile the Negotiator (see May 2000 and March 2017 - two instances, at least - where Coach put the wood to UNH at the bargaining table), he'd have won the D-1 title at least once, and he'd be retiring as the "conquering hero". I know my personal take on Coach's legacy shifted sharply for the worse when I confirmed for myself just how detached he'd become from his own program. Reading stories about Coach York heading off to Saskatchewan during the holidays a year or two ago hammered that point home.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      But, six wins against BU, BC, and NICC might have done it; I am sure that is what Umile meant.
      Nice to see you posting sir!! Yeah I think it's all PR...smoke and mirrors about the season to pacify those who don't get it. Heck even I do....
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        I'm sure you will have a hyper vigilant coach who is on top of things...like him or leave him I suspect Nate Leaman is ultimately in charge.
        Hey, he learned from one of the best. And no one - not even Walshy himself - got all of the coaching decisions right. But I like my chances a whole lot better when my head coach leaves no question he is in charge, isn't going to delegate big decisions to someone else, and isn't afraid to go the extra mile on the recruiting trails to make sure he gets his guys - the right guys. If the PC folks ever get tired of Leaman, we'll be happy to take him off your hands.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Umile stumbled into his success. He literally inherited Kullen's 87 and 88 classes that produced 8 quality players (Winnes, Dean, Plavsic, McIntyre, Amodeo, Flanagan, Mitrovic, and Scott Morrow) and were the core as the program went from 7 wins to the 92 NCAAs. His own 89, 90 and 91 classes were pretty weak, complimentary parts to that 92 NCAA team. When Kullen's kids graduated, Umile's own recruits were inadequate, and the team slipped back to 18 wins in 93. Thankfully in 92 he got McCloskey, who then produced the next wave of kids who formed the core of the 94 to 02 run, starting with Bogi, Nolan and Murray in 93-94, and Mowers, Nikulas.

Essentially, Umile walked into a super situation, nearly killed it, then got lucky McCloskey came along. When he no longer could piggy-back off of the work of his assistants, his success ceased. You can understand the Borek supporters' lament that Borek -- for all of his own flaws -- really was asked to do too much on his own while burdened by Umile.

Now, managing this by delegating is not as easy as I make it sound, but Umile ultimately bears the burden of not having done enough to help during the good times to put them over the top, and not doing enough during the bad times to prevent the slide. That will be his legacy -- just enough to fall short.
          Watcher, I always enjoy your posts but the ones from this morning should just be cut and pasted into the Official History of UNH Hockey 1990 – 2020 Edition. Absolutely nailed it, particularly this one but the others as well.
          I went home with a waitress the way I always do
          How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Reading stories about Coach York heading off to Saskatchewan during the holidays a year or two ago hammered that point home.
            I don't know Jerry York at all but I get the sense he didn't just go, he probably enjoyed it. First, it's hockey and it's helping his team, so that's great right there but my guess is he saw it as something you don't do every day, getting to see a place very different from New England, just generally an event in his life to be enjoyed, not something he had to do, as in "only a sucker would use up his own time flying to Saskatchewan in the middle of Winter to go sit in a freezing cold rink, I have people who do that crap for me, why would I ever want to do that when I can head over the 3 Chimneys for the 37th day in a row, you know one of my things, I don't need new crap to do."

Comment

Wow. At the risk of being told "Stay out of our thread!" it suddenly looks as though the "let's dump on DU" crowd has emerged out of the woodwork. I knew it would happen eventually, but apparently there's more repressed anger out there than I originally thought...

It started to get nasty like this a few years ago with Parker also.

As Kiefer Sutherland said in A Few Good Men, "I see no need to trample on a man's grave."

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                Wow. At the risk of being told "Stay out of our thread!" it suddenly looks as though the "let's dump on DU" crowd has emerged out of the woodwork. I knew it would happen eventually, but apparently there's more repressed anger out there than I originally thought...

As Kiefer Sutherland said in A Few Good Men, "I see no need to trample on a man's grave."
                It's anyone's thread and not to quibble but I don't see where you're getting the suddenly and repressed parts of it. More like on-going and repeatedly and clearly expressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post

You know chickod....it's easy for you guys...you never have to worry about not moving onto the next game etc. UNH fans invest a boatload of time money and effort and while we understand the highly competitive nature of D1 hockey...shucks we still wanna win. So don't go shaking the finger (that's my job haha) at the very valid conversation of the past few days.

Like I have said I give Coach a ton of credit and understand the nature of sports having been involved in one way or another for well over half my life.
                  And I was not surprised he's coming back next season but that doesn't excuse the fact that UNH hockey seems to have been neglected and that needs to change. The team deserves better.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

You know chickod....it's easy for you guys...you never have to worry about not moving onto the next game etc. UNH fans invest a boatload of time money and effort and while we understand the highly competitive nature of D1 hockey...shucks we still wanna win. So don't go shaking the finger (that's my job haha) at the very valid conversation of the past few days.

Like I have said I give Coach a ton of credit and understand the nature of sports having been involved in one way or another for well over half my life.
                    And I was not surprised he's coming back next season but that doesn't excuse the fact that UNH hockey seems to have been neglected and that needs to change. The team deserves better.
                    Yeah, duck and cover along with the rest of the "let's not dump on DU crowd".
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post

Except Kiefer Sutherland was more than happy to be involved in rubbing out Santiago and trampling on his grave in private. He didn't care to do so in court because it would have only shed light onto his incredibly immoral behavior...

I see only Tom Cruises and Demi Moores in this thread, fighting to expose the shining light of the truth!

In all seriousness, Chickod, let me know how you think you and other BU fans would have acted if the BU admin had not acted in the best interests of the program and instead let Parker set his retirement date (at least 3 more seasons down the road) and pick his own (inexperienced) successor...

The reality is long before it got to this point BU 'encouraged' Parker to leave and then hired a long time NCAA assistant with AHL head coaching experience...
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                        It's anyone's thread and not to quibble but I don't see where you're getting the suddenly and repressed parts of it. More like on-going and repeatedly and clearly expressed.
                        Just seemed to me that the vitriol has increased slightly since the "announcement"

Comment

Well, I was going to say "I understand" but you would immediately reply with "NO YOU DON'T!" Like my parents used to do, so I'll refrain. Anyway, fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Except Kiefer Sutherland was more than happy to be involved in rubbing out Santiago and trampling on his grave in private. He didn't care to do so in court because it would have only shed light onto his incredibly immoral behavior...

I see only Tom Cruises and Demi Moores in this thread, fighting to expose the shining light of the truth!

In all seriousness, Chickod, let me know how you think you and other BU fans would have acted if the BU admin had not acted in the best interests of the program and instead let Parker set his retirement date (at least 3 more seasons down the road) and pick his own (inexperienced) successor...

The reality is long before it got to this point BU 'encouraged' Parker to leave and then hired a long time NCAA assistant with AHL head coaching experience...
                            OK. Well maybe you have better recall and/or more "inside knowledge" than I do, but it seemed to me "we" were calling for him to resign about five years before he actually did. In fact, when he won in '09 there was a mini panic with comments like, "Oh, great...glad they won but now he'll want to stay another ten years!"

Comment

Meanwhile Mike McShane is going for his fourth or fifth(lost count) NC at Norwich tomorrow night. Same age as Umile or even a year older. Exception to the theory that coaching is a young man's game I guess!

PS. I hate autocorrect!
                              Last edited by e.cat; 03-17-2017, 12:57 PM.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Kelleher to Milwaukee Admirals debuts tonight v the Iowa Wild good luck Tyler!!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X