X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Question for you long timers out there:

Where would you rank that guy who just made the San Jose Sharks selection on the all time list of Wildcat blueliners?
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
      Question for you long timers out there:

Where would you rank that guy who just made the San Jose Sharks selection on the all time list of Wildcat blueliners?
      I never saw Tim Burke play live in person at UNH - only a few times on my grainy Channel 11 feed down in Greg Ambrose territory - but he was the "other" guy during the all-too-brief Langway era, and a four year starter IIRC in the midst of a great run during the apex of the Charlie Holt era. I think any realistic discussion and assessment of all-time UNH defensemen would have to include him in the Top Ten. In looking up his profile, I was surprised to note he was also from our current iconic coach's hometown. But to be clear, he is not pie zahn ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Sorry, been away for awhile, more pressing things on my mind. But in no particular order:
        Jerry York indeed has a short shelf life as coach. He's 71, has that detached retina problem and, if you didn't notice, they failed to make the tournament last year. He will retire, sooner rather than later and will be replaced by Greg Brown. It will be Brown because BC has a new AD that they brought in from Ohio State who has zero knowledge of what it takes to be an NCAA coach. Ergo Brown.
        Where does that leave Michael Ayers. Well I guess he could continue at BC, maybe as an elevated associate head coach with a raise in pay. And whatever the pay is, it will be certainly more than what UNH would pay. It would be nice if he came to Durham but, as somebody mentioned, why would he disrupt his young family, leave Hingham, and come to the Seacoast for lower pay?
        On to UNH. I wasn't surprised that TVR was exposed in the expansion draft, but I was surprised when Vegas flipped him to Carolina. My first thought, obviously, was that he would be playing with Pesce, perhaps paired with him. It got my mind to thinking when the last time two UNHers were on the same NHL team and actually skated together. My guess is back in the 80s when Peter Douris, Steve Leach, and Bruce Crowder were all on the Bruins. I don't have the answer. Maybe somebody does.
        The current Wildcats? What can you say. No one at the University really cares anymore. There is no historical perspective. It's like the first 50 years of UNH D1 hockey never existed. Just one tiny example. When UNH sent out the blurb to season ticket holders, one thing they mentioned was that they were bringing back the pre-season barbecue which, they said, they had started a few years ago. Really? The Friends first had a barbecue,,they called it the Face Off Feed, back in the late seventies. I remember going to one at Boyd Broadhead's place in Lee where my wife and I munched on chicken with Gordie Clark and his family. The people who founded the Friends, those who had a large hand in sustaining UNH for a lot of years, would puke if they read this missive from UNH Athletics. The biggest problem at UNH is the lack of institutional memory, something that starts with Marty and runs all the way down. I will still go, but I have been sapped of my enthusiasm.
        The Sox retired Big Papi's number tonight. Greatest Red Sox ever. Go Sox!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          I never saw Tim Burke play live in person at UNH - only a few times on my grainy Channel 11 feed down in Greg Ambrose territory - but he was the "other" guy during the all-too-brief Langway era, and a four year starter IIRC in the midst of a great run during the apex of the Charlie Holt era. I think any realistic discussion and assessment of all-time UNH defensemen would have to include him in the Top Ten. In looking up his profile, I was surprised to note he was also from our current iconic coach's hometown. But to be clear, he is not pie zahn ...
          Since UNH does not have nine other guys who were All American defenseman, I'd have to say Tim Burke was pretty good. He was an All American his senior year, mostly because he was the sane force on a team that was unbelievably offensive minded. Those 12-9 games could easily have been 15-13 if it wasn't for a guy like Burke. Not only was Burke from Melrose but his defense partner Paul Powers was as well. The funny thing is that Powers had spent his entire high school career as a forward. But when he got to UNH, Charlie saw his ability to skate and pass and decided on the spot that he was going to be a defenseman because, in Charlie's system, defensemen had to push the puck up the ice.

As for Langway, he was good, but if my memory serves me, I don't remember him as being other worldly. He was only a kid, he was also playing football. He was a tremendous athlete but, did I ever see him take over a game? No. I do remember him playing line backer for UNH in a playoff loss at Montana on a Saturday and the following Monday suiting up for the hockey team and scoring a goal against RPI. My bet is that he would have had a decent career in football but how can you argue with two Hart Trophies, the Hockey Hall of Fame, and your name on the Stanley Cup?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            Sorry, been away for awhile, more pressing things on my mind. But in no particular order:
            Jerry York indeed has a short shelf life as coach. He's 71, has that detached retina problem and, if you didn't notice, they failed to make the tournament last year. He will retire, sooner rather than later and will be replaced by Greg Brown. It will be Brown because BC has a new AD that they brought in from Ohio State who has zero knowledge of what it takes to be an NCAA coach. Ergo Brown.
            Where does that leave Michael Ayers. Well I guess he could continue at BC, maybe as an elevated associate head coach with a raise in pay. And whatever the pay is, it will be certainly more than what UNH would pay. It would be nice if he came to Durham but, as somebody mentioned, why would he disrupt his young family, leave Hingham, and come to the Seacoast for lower pay?
            On to UNH. I wasn't surprised that TVR was exposed in the expansion draft, but I was surprised when Vegas flipped him to Carolina. My first thought, obviously, was that he would be playing with Pesce, perhaps paired with him. It got my mind to thinking when the last time two UNHers were on the same NHL team and actually skated together. My guess is back in the 80s when Peter Douris, Steve Leach, and Bruce Crowder were all on the Bruins. I don't have the answer. Maybe somebody does.
            The current Wildcats? What can you say. No one at the University really cares anymore. There is no historical perspective. It's like the first 50 years of UNH D1 hockey never existed. Just one tiny example. When UNH sent out the blurb to season ticket holders, one thing they mentioned was that they were bringing back the pre-season barbecue which, they said, they had started a few years ago. Really? The Friends first had a barbecue,,they called it the Face Off Feed, back in the late seventies. I remember going to one at Boyd Broadhead's place in Lee where my wife and I munched on chicken with Gordie Clark and his family. The people who founded the Friends, those who had a large hand in sustaining UNH for a lot of years, would puke if they read this missive from UNH Athletics. The biggest problem at UNH is the lack of institutional memory, something that starts with Marty and runs all the way down. I will still go, but I have been sapped of my enthusiasm.
            The Sox retired Big Papi's number tonight. Greatest Red Sox ever. Go Sox!
            Daniel Winnick and JvR with the Maple Leafs I think that's correct...(Wildcats who have played together in the NHL/same team)
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Daniel Winnick and JvR with the Maple Leafs I think that's correct...(Wildcats who have played together in the NHL/same team)
              And, Trevor Smith, who played 54 games with the Leafs in 2014-2015, along with JvR's 82 and Winnik's 58 games before Dan was shipped to the Pens (hence my earlier quip about "UNH North"). And, at the risk of some old-timers getting their panties in a bunch, I will say that JvR has put together a decent NHL career, with 165 goals and 174 assists in eight seasons. And, journeyman Dan Winnik has hung in there toiling away on 3rd and 4th lines for 10 seasons now.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                And, Trevor Smith, who played 54 games with the Leafs in 2014-2015, along with JvR's 82 and Winnik's 58 games before Dan was shipped to the Pens (hence my earlier quip about "UNH North"). And, at the risk of some old-timers getting their panties in a bunch, I will say that JvR has put together a decent NHL career, with 165 goals and 174 assists in eight seasons. And, journeyman Dan Winnik has hung in there toiling away on 3rd and 4th lines for 10 seasons now.
                Oh you are right I could not for the life of me think of that third player (Smith) whom now (without looking) I want to say he plays on the Milwaukee Admirals with TyK. I knew you'd come up with him!!!

ps Looks like UMass got themselves a decent player in Cale Makar. According to Pierre McGuire last night everyone should watch them the next couple of years...the world really is going crazy! (I'll report back on this once we've played them...)
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-24-2017, 03:58 AM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Oh you are right I could not for the life of me think of that third player (Smith) whom now (without looking) I want to say he plays on the Milwaukee Admirals with TyK. I knew you'd come up with him!!!

ps Looks like UMass got themselves a decent player in Cale Makar. According to Pierre McGuire last night everyone should watch them the next couple of years...the world really is going crazy! (I'll report back on this once we've played them...)
                  Over/under on Gildon and Maas getting drafted in the third round?

Will TvR have some competition locking down a top two D-pair on the 'Canes?

Bruins lost Colin Miller to Golden Knights.

Comment

Robinson, Charlie Kelleher among UNH hockey frosh:
                    http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS22/170629571
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      Robinson, Charlie Kelleher among UNH hockey frosh:
                      http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS22/170629571
                      Nice article - thanks, Darius!
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

I guess that I should have offered the over/under on the fourth round for Gildon and Maas.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          One thing I've learned over the last quarter decade as a dead certain, nailed-on FACT is that UMass Men's Hockey is ALWAYS just a year or two away from turning the corner and becoming a force in Hockey East.

Not going to hold my breath this time, any more than the last hundred or so similar proclamations ...

... for those waiting for the conclusion of the 8th hole, just assume Dick and Mike are still looking for Dick's *lost* ball ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            One thing I've learned over the last quarter decade as a dead certain, nailed-on FACT is that UMass Men's Hockey is ALWAYS just a year or two away from turning the corner and becoming a force in Hockey East.

Not going to hold my breath this time, any more than the last hundred or so similar proclamations ...

... for those waiting for the conclusion of the 8th hole, just assume Dick and Mike are still looking for Dick's *lost* ball ...
                            Chuck, I don't know if I've mentioned this on this board but my father (and many of his brothers) as well as my brother are PGA professionals so I grew up with golf. Played the game myself but not as of late so I have found your story quite interesting to say the least!! When I visited our home town of Jax Fla spent some time at one of his courses he owned in the early 60's...quite the game it is and a perfect venue for life's struggles to be sure.

On the Umass thing, naturally I doubt we'll see them at the Garden with the addition of this player, but I have to wonder why these exceptional players (Vatrano most recently) play there; I imagine it's to develop as a player with NCAA competition (and esp. Hockey East right?!? ) so why not come here! And of course these players are only good for a couple of seasons but hey they can spend em with us. So..why NOT UNH? Can someone give some objective insight into why these exceptional players choose teams that aren't, well, stellar to put it mildly? (And not to impugn the coaching staff there from what I have seen/learned it's a quality org)
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-25-2017, 08:49 AM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Yes, indeed, quite the dilemma that Stu faces at the cup on the eighth hole. I know what I would do if in Stu's golf shoes. Perhaps you should set up a poll on this one, Chuck?

HR, probably UMass admissions are easier than at UNH, hence we lose out on some blue chippahs to them, like we do to BC and BU.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 06-25-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Yes, indeed, quite the dilemma that Stu faces at the cup on the eighth hole.

HR, probably UMass admissions are easier than at UNH, hence we lose out on some blue chippahs to them, like we do to BC and BU.
                                Oh that's right (slap forehead moment) ACADEMICS first!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X