X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Jim Tortorella to coach St. Anselm Men's Hockey
    http://www.saintanselmhawks.com/x/6jjzc
    Maybe JT can convince his admin to join Div 1 AHC, then UNH can add a nearby cupcake to future schedules, not to mention provision of another full-fledged Div 1 contestant in the so-called "Cow Hampsha Beanpot" tournament at SNHU Arena.
    Last edited by Snively65; 05-16-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      University of Colorado - CU
      University of Kansas - KU
      University of Missouri - MU
      University of Nebraska - NU
      University of Indiana - IU
      University of Oklahoma - OU
      University of Tulsa - TU
      University of Denver - DU
      Minor Corrections...
      University of Nebraska - NU or UNL
      Indiana University - IU

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        So clearly a falling out with Umile, not pursuing a life passion or whatever nonsense we were fed when he left...
        As many have said we played better D when he was coaching. I seem to remember he left to be in charge of a drug rehab up in Portland, ME. Interesting he spent time with the Friars last season. Where do you get the idea he had a falling out with DU? I don't remember that going around but I may have missed it...no biggie.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          As many have said we played better D when he was coaching. I seem to remember he left to be in charge of a drug rehab up in Portland, ME. Interesting he spent time with the Friars last season. Where do you get the idea he had a falling out with DU? I don't remember that going around but I may have missed it...no biggie.
          Ref, take a look at the article. I think it had 3 letters of support and not a peep from UNH. Telling???
          I totally agree that he seemed to run a solid D while in Durham. Left to follow his passion? after 25 years of coaching???

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
            Ref, take a look at the article. I think it had 3 letters of support and not a peep from UNH. Telling???
            I totally agree that he seemed to run a solid D while in Durham. Left to follow his passion? after 25 years of coaching???
            Wasn't the scuttlebut on here said Scarano forced Umile to get a younger coaching staff, so this might have been a move forced on Dick.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
              I did take note that there wasn't a comment from UNH but didn't really equate it with a "falling out" with UNH...but 'Watchers comment seems about right.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-16-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Wasn't the scuttlebut on here said Scarano forced Umile to get a younger coaching staff, so this might have been a move forced on Dick.
                That's how I read it at the time, and I still think that was on the mark. Having said that ... I'm sure BS35+4 didn't care if DU ditched Torts or Borek, but since SB was running the recruiting show at the time, JT was the easy choice.

Let's never forget .... it's all about Dick.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Getting fired and scapegoated (even quietly) for symbolic appeasement as a result of your suddenly disloyal boss's/friend's own failures? I can see how that might result in a falling out...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Maybe JT can convince his admin to join Div 1 AHC, then UNH can add a nearby cupcake to future schedules, not to mention provision of another full-fledged Div 1 contestant in the so-called "Cow Hampsha Beanpot" tournament at SNHU Arena.
                    Count me in. Works on so many levels, although probably a little bit late to help his old boss with his Quest for the NRN. But when HE deems the Holy Cross Men's Hockey program up to standards for admission, there's going to be opportunities to fill in the AHC. St. A's would be great for NH - as would SNHU. Get them both somehow to D-1 and there's your "CowChip" tourney right there. Plus the two newbies would be close enough to the now-SNHU Arena to ensure it would be filled (or close) in the early years of the event. I'm sold.

So ... when does UNH officially release this coming year's schedule?

Comment

I admittedly put a bunch of public information together and came to my own conclusion.

1) Torts left to run a drug rehab program and I remember something about it also being a passion of his
                      2) Seems telling that 2 years later he is back as a volunteer coach in Providence? why not UNH if everything was happy happy when he left, particularly that the 3 offensive guys in Durham could use some help on D
                      3) Now back to full time coaching - running rehab wasn't such a good gig after all
                      4) Lots of support from others and yet not a peep from Durham - Saint A's is in New Hampshire so Durham would seem a relevant place to get a quote, also Durham was the last place he was drawing a pay check for coaching hockey

That all says to me not everything was as sunshine and roses as it was portrayed at the time of Torts departure...

No inside information just my deductions.

Note I always liked Torts better than Borek. Not personally, I don't know either personally. The observable evidence of impact was Torts was a higher leverage employee.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        I admittedly put a bunch of public information together and came to my own conclusion.

1) Torts left to run a drug rehab program and I remember something about it also being a passion of his
                        2) Seems telling that 2 years later he is back as a volunteer coach in Providence? why not UNH if everything was happy happy when he left, particularly that the 3 offensive guys in Durham could use some help on D
                        3) Now back to full time coaching - running rehab wasn't such a good gig after all
                        4) Lots of support from others and yet not a peep from Durham - Saint A's is in New Hampshire so Durham would seem a relevant place to get a quote, also Durham was the last place he was drawing a pay check for coaching hockey

That all says to me not everything was as sunshine and roses as it was portrayed at the time of Torts departure...

No inside information just my deductions.

Note I always liked Torts better than Borek. Not personally, I don't know either personally. The observable evidence of impact was Torts was a higher leverage employee.
                        JB, I agree with every last detail of your post. For whatever that's worth these days.

Comment

I see graduation has moved from the 'Whitt to the Stadium. In other news read somewhere that Jamie Hill will play hockey in southern France next season.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            In other news read somewhere that Jamie Hill will play hockey in southern France next season.
                            I'm shocked. Thought for sure he would end up in Calgary.
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                              I'm shocked. Thought for sure he would end up in Calgary.
                              Cheap rt flights right now Calgary to France for about $760; about $1260 for reverse direction. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Cheap rt flights right now Calgary to France for about $760; about $1260 for reverse direction. :-)
                                Fun with Souza, Dick & Stu - Offseason Edition - Part I

See three men
                                See three men golf
                                Who are the men?
                                Dick is the old man
                                Souza is the tall man
                                Stu is the other man

Dick is Souza's boss
                                Souza will be the new boss
                                Stu works for Dick now
                                Stu wanted Dick's job too
                                Souza got Dick's job
                                Stu may be odd man out
                                This is awkward

(Today's word, boys and girls, is awkward. Awkward is a feeling you get in the pit of your tummy that makes you feel bad. Like a tummy ache but not from eating too much.)

Dick hits first
                                Dick hits the ball into the woods
                                Dick takes a mulligan

(Today's fun word, boys and girls, is mulligan. Mulligan is a do-over. Like when you mess up, and pretend you did not mess up. Mulligans make golf lots more fun for bad golfers.)

Dick hits another ball
                                Dick hits the ball straight
                                Dick is happy
                                Souza hits the ball straight
                                Souza is happy
                                Stu hits the ball into the woods
                                Stu wants a mulligan
                                "No mulligan for you, Stu"
                                Stu is
                                Stu goes to the woods to find his ball

"Why is Stu in woods, Dick?"
                                "Stu sucks at golf, Souza,"
                                "But you hit the ball into the woods too, boss?"
                                "No I didn't, kid. It's right here, with yours."
                                "Oh yes, I see boss. Right here with mine."
                                "Good. This is why you will be the new boss, and Stu will not be."

Stu finds his ball
                                Stu hits his ball
                                Stu hits his ball well
                                Stu's ball takes a bad bounce near the green
                                Stu's ball ends up in the sand trap
                                Unlucky Stu

Souza hits next
                                Souza puts it on the green
                                Good shot, Souza!
                                Dick hits last
                                Dick hits the ball towards the sand trap
                                Dick's ball hits a rake in the sand trap
                                Dick's ball bounces onto the green
                                Lucky shot, Dick!

Stu chips out from the trap
                                Stu's chip hits the flag
                                Stu's ball rolls 5 feet away from the pin
                                Stu knows how to scramble

(Today's last fun word, boys and girls, is scramble. Scramble means getting out of a tight spot. Not Spot - that will be later - just any place is a spot. Stu has had to scramble since Souza got the job he wanted.)

Dick is away
                                Dick is 50 feet away
                                Dick putts the ball
                                Now Dick is 10 feet away
                                "Good shot, Dick! You can pick that up."
                                "What about mine, Souza?"
                                "Let me putt first, and then we'll see, Stu."
                                Souza putts his ball
                                Souza's ball rolls 15 feet into the center of the cup
                                "Good shot, Souza!"
                                "Thanks Dick. Stu, you can go next."
                                "Why can't I pick mine up? I'm twice as close as Dick was?"
                                "Stop whining, Stu, and take your putt."

Stu is
                                Stu's putt is hard
                                Stu's putt goes through the break and rims out
                                Stu taps in for a bogey 5
                                Stu is and Stu is
                                Dick is down for a par 4
                                Dick is
                                Souza cards a birdie 3
                                Souza is very

See three men walk to the second tee
                                Talk turns to who will be flying to Calgary
                                Dick will not fly to Calgary
                                Dick will fly to Aruba
                                There is hockey in Calgary
                                There is no hockey in Aruba
                                Stu will be flying to Calgary

Dick is to be going to Aruba
                                Souza is to be the next head coach after Dick retires
                                Stu thinks this is going to be a long off season

Comment

Working...
                                X