X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    To quote one of my fav's Neil Young tunes
    "Comes a Time" and even tho we think that time is now, doesn't mean he does...
    But if you had a "Heart of Gold" you would be more sympathetic...

Sorry...this has taken on a life of its own and I couldn't resist...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      But if you had a "Heart of Gold" you would be more sympathetic...

Sorry...this has taken on a life of its own and I couldn't resist...
      Oh I do indeed have a heart...of gold not so sure. Believe me...I have empathy for the whole saga. I've met coach on several occasions and have nothing but respect regarding his record/accomplishments for what he's done for UNH hockey. But sometimes it's like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-WMbP1RcC4

Vintage Neil...oh, my.
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-14-2017, 02:53 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        So if Coach is allowed/decides to come back next year for one final season ... please, tell me why then?
        $248,240. In his shoes, I'm not walking away. I mean that as a compliment.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

... why UNH didn't play the big teams like Minny, Michigan, etc like they had been when I first started following them, their response? "When you're not that good...it's hard for those teams to risk Pairwise rankings to play you".
          No doubt that is part of it. I can't remember details, but recall some kind of mix up, perhaps logistical, that left us scrambling for opponents this year. Also, two OoC games with UMO is less expensive than flying to Ann Arbor or MN for a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            No doubt that is part of it. I can't remember details, but recall some kind of mix up, perhaps logistical, that left us scrambling for opponents this year. Also, two OoC games with UMO is less expensive than flying to Ann Arbor or MN for a weekend.
            Totally makes $en$e...
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Oh I do indeed have a heart...
              I was just kidding...

We went through a similar situation at BU with Parker. The battle lines were clearly drawn. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but my guess is that younger fans would be less empathetic...those of us who are, well, not younger anymore, can project the situation to our own lives.

Someone made a good point a while back, though. It's very hard to be objective regarding oneself. My gut tells me he's not "hanging on to get to the NRN." I truly believe that if he felt as though he could no longer do the job, he'd leave. But that's a HARD thing to admit. And trust me, you "young ones" are just going to have to take my word for it. As my parents would always tell me, "You'll understand when you get older." I used to hate that, but now I completely understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

So if Coach is allowed/decides to come back next year for one final season ... please, tell me why then?
                Because he thinks he can still do it, Just like Red does and all other coaches.
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I was just kidding...

We went through a similar situation at BU with Parker. The battle lines were clearly drawn. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but my guess is that younger fans would be less empathetic...those of us who are, well, not younger anymore, can project the situation to our own lives.

Someone made a good point a while back, though. It's very hard to be objective regarding oneself. My gut tells me he's not "hanging on to get to the NRN." I truly believe that if he felt as though he could no longer do the job, he'd leave. But that's a HARD thing to admit. And trust me, you "young ones" are just going to have to take my word for it. As my parents would always tell me, "You'll understand when you get older." I used to hate that, but now I completely understand.
                  Oh was aware of the "play on words" with the Heart of Gold as I had been leaning on Neil quite heavily! All good advice I assume there are many of us on this board who are close to, or nearing the retirement phase of life and it's not always obvious when the best time to leave. That being said a bunch of umpire friends and I made a pact that when it was time to say "enough" or "scale back" we could answer each other honestly.

Oh, and 'Watcher that song was being considered but chose a few other Neil tunes...it fits.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I was just kidding...

Someone once said to me, "you want to know when it is time to retire?" "When you are no longer relevant!" Some of you may think you get it, a few of you do get it. It is different for everyone and perhaps more difficult for some. But if you are open and honest, you really will get it. Is Du at that point, just don't know. Greg eluded to it differently but on point earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      $248,240. In his shoes, I'm not walking away. I mean that as a compliment.
                      Most things in life come down to $$$$ don't they? Scarano needs to grow a pair and get creative here. Maybe approach DU to stay on as a consultant. Make it a transition year with Souza at the helm.
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        Most things in life come down to $$$$ don't they? Scarano needs to grow a pair and get creative here. Maybe approach DU to stay on as a consultant. Make it a transition year with Souza at the helm.
                        Don't assume he hasn't. I'd like to think that the rumblings months ago were true.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          Don't assume he hasn't. I'd like to think that the rumblings months ago were true.
                          You know what they say about assume I assume

I would hope Scarano would be on top of these things. We are talking about real bucks here afterall. You know what's interesting here though, to me anyway, is that DU had a hand in bringing in Scarano or am I wrong about that? Scarano might be the one to stab Umile in the back. It's a Greek tragedy in the making!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                            I don't get this logic at all. Because you were good at your job at one time you can be bad at it now? I'm hoping none of us ever come across any airline pilots or surgeons who follow that way of thinking.

This was a job. He wasn't volunteering with the ORYHA squirts down at Jackson's Landing. A well-compensated and highly visible job at that. He, first and foremost, should have seen that as a stewardship and recognized when he was no longer up to it. But he didn't. I don't know what got in the way - ego, lack of judgement, greed, etc. - but something kept him in the position beyond the time he could do it justice. You act like pointing that out is an insult to him. It's not, this isn't a referendum on his coaching career, or even him as a person, it's a hard but fair look at the current, and recent, state of the program. Which is fairly horrid.
                            Not sure how old you are but my guess is that you are not collecting social security. I am, and one of the reasons I retired and sold my business in the process is because I knew I had lost my fastball. There was a time that I thought I'd work until I was 70 or so. However when I got to be 63 or 64 I could start to sense that my business world (insurance) was starting to pass me by. So I started the process. It took over two years but I can tell you I left with no regrets.

Now Umile is not an insurance agent, but he has been a highly respected individual in his profession. Sad to say that, no matter the profession, there a lot of people who just don't get that they are not up to speed anymore. I have a couple of good friends my age in the business who just can't give it up, even if one is 72 and the other 68. Now Umile doesn't call the shots like my friends and I did. But like us he's going to,have to self-discover. Not everybody is wired that way, even when the obvious is staring them in the face.

Comment

You know what they say about assume I assume

I would hope Scarano would be on top of these things. We are talking about real bucks here afterall. You know what's interesting here though, to me anyway, is that DU had a hand in bringing in Scarano or am I wrong about that? Scarano might be the one to stab Umile in the back. It's a Greek tragedy in the making!
                              You're wrong. The powers that be probably run it by him, especially after the dysfunctional Gib Chapman era. But hand picking Scarano, or having veto power? None.

Comment

I posted before, I think on last weekend's game thread, that the U paying someone not to coach (or not to do anything) is bad PR as they head to Concord fighting for every penny. Consultant would be better than not being there, but it is just a title. He can, and probably is, consulting with Souza and Stewart every day as HC.

We finished the season, the last 2 weeks not the last day, positively. I'm not all that concerned about who the HC is next year, assume it will be Coach Umile and would love to see him finish on a relative high note.

Comment

Working...
                                X