X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Who's "they?" Maybe "some" did, but that's always the case. If all the blue-chippers "preferred" UNH/Maine, then they wouldn't have one National Championship between them compared to ten for BU and BC. (And I don't say that disparagingly, but c'mon)
    Fair points. I meant when UNH/UMaine where winning (1998-2003 when UNH was in the Final Four) - those years they had the inside track. When you are successful and winning then recruits want to go there...its easy to recruit when your program is successful and on top. Once the program slides its very difficult to get back on top - you have to work harder and find the right recruits and get lucky as the blue chips head to the winning schools.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      You took my point out of context.
      For the record, I took your point out of context indirectly as I was more directly responding to UNH1932.

Directly to what you've just written, meh, not buying totally. First you kind of lost me in the rinse cycle a couple of times, not saying you weren't making a valid point, I just couldn't follow it. Beyond that, I'm not really with you on the overall theme. I took a look at North Dakota's roster - Detroit, Winnipeg, Flint, Saskatoon, Oslo, Omaha. No, not NYC but not exactly a team full of country boys from Warroad either. (Don't even get me started on how you pull kids from Europe to the middle of nowhere North Dakota yet UNH is yet to have its first European player.)

I think you'd be better off arguing that someone's grandmother could recruit talent with that rink.

Not to mention tradition of winning, and the talent you'd be playing with.
      I went home with a waitress the way I always do
      How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

On a side note - I think an earlier poster (maybe Dan) mentioned about getting youth hockey programs, area school kids to the games for a visit. Does anyone know of an existing program to set up visits to donate seats and have prep hockey teams visit? As we are aware a large % of young commits are playing in the prep school leagues and there are roughly 20 or so New England prep programs with fantastic hockey programs. Maybe rent a bus and send it down for the teams to take up to UNH to take in a game? It would be great for the prep teams to come up and check out the school and I am sure prep coaches would support it as a team building effort as well. Just trying to think out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
          On a side note - I think an earlier poster (maybe Dan) mentioned about getting youth hockey programs, area school kids to the games for a visit. Does anyone know of an existing program to set up visits to donate seats and have prep hockey teams visit? As we are aware a large % of young commits are playing in the prep school leagues and there are roughly 20 or so New England prep programs with fantastic hockey programs. Maybe rent a bus and send it down for the teams to take up to UNH to take in a game? It would be great for the prep teams to come up and check out the school and I am sure prep coaches would support it as a team building effort as well. Just trying to think out of the box.
          That's a great idea! I think I have seen bunches of kids at the 'Whitt with their hockey jackets on from various Prep schools on occasion...I used to bring my teams to watch the college game so they could see it played in a different perspective and to entice those who wanted to continue to see that level of play..
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
            Peep athletes and teams can come on unofficial visits - they'd have to travel to UNH on their own, but the NCAA allows all prospects on unofficial visits two comp tickets to a sporting event. Obviously, they are also allowed campus and facility tours. Additionally, coaches can have all the on-campus contact they want with prospects unless there is a dead period in effect...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Peep athletes and teams can come on unofficial visits - they'd have to travel to UNH on their own, but the NCAA allows all prospects on unofficial visits two comp tickets to a sporting event. Obviously, they are also allowed campus and facility tours. Additionally, coaches can have all the on-campus contact they want with prospects unless there is a dead period in effect...

Sounds like a great opportunity then! Someone get a hold of the top 20 prep school coaches and work out the details. Pick out of a few premiere games and allocate time/tickets for tours. Might as well use UNH's location as an advantage since its close to many of the prep schools. If you can get in 20 prep schools thats roughly 500 hockey players (many high end players) that will be exposed to UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                The recruiting in Durham has been so bad for so long we've totally forgotten our older grievances with the regime of DU. Champions of October, inability to defeat the trap, failure to adjust style to meet particular opponents, lack of situational awareness - down or up a goal, late in game, playoffs - overvaluing seniority in place of talent, playing flat at the biggest moments, etc. I feel bad, I used to have them all memorized, I'm sure I've forgotten something.

Walshy was the king of all of those on the ice, game situation things. While he was a cheating S O B at recruiting he was great at the coaching part of it.
                So true, right down to every last detail. You'd like to think Coach would have picked up some helpful insight along the way, but these things just keep happening, right up to the present day. Six (6) goals allowed in the first period of an elimination game ... I mean, you could put a strong prep team out there against UMass Lowell tomorrow night, and it would be a challenge for UML to rack up 6 goals in a full game - much less a single period. But Coach still thinks he has something to offer, and it's not a cash grab, so it's on to 600 ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Exposure to UNH is only a small part of the problem. Belief that winning is a consuming passion so that it will be willed into being is something that has to be communicated. That is how Walsh did it when Maine sucked. There was no doubt with his energy that it would happen, and he had a track record at Michigan State to lend some support for the belief that he had the ability to do that. If you have that underlying message, and then one domino falls (Jack Capuano - or for Yorkie, Farkas) the hockey world suddenly takes note. That was the message at UNH in the mid-90s.

Mike Souza's mellow message does not scream determination. He comes across more as a nice guy than intense. If that is who he is, he needs an intense, passionate recruiter who can will it into being. Sean Coady (included for Greg's benefit) and Mark Osiecki at Wisconsin fall into that group. I look for signs of this (see the serial commits at Wisconsin when the new staff went there), but was a bit disappointed that (1) Kelleher/Gildon didn't cause Limoges to flip, and (2) Commesso wasn't able to bring his classmate Liam Connors along with him. Either one of those things might have sent a stronger message to the community.

Edit: Boston College has managed without the intense assistant, but Yorkie had a NCAA title in his back pocket to show recruits he knew how to get there.
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-22-2017, 03:20 PM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    Exposure to UNH is only a small part of the problem. Belief that winning is a consuming passion so that it will be willed into being is something that has to be communicated. That is how Walsh did it when Maine sucked. There was no doubt with his energy that it would happen, and he had a track record at Michigan State to lend some support for the belief that he had the ability to do that. If you have that underlying message, and then one domino falls (Jack Capuano - or for Yorkie, Farkas) the hockey world suddenly takes note. That was the message at UNH in the mid-90s.

Mike Souza's mellow message does not scream determination. He comes across more as a nice guy than intense. If that is who he is, he needs an intense, passionate recruiter who can will it into being. Sean Coady (included for Greg's benefit) and Mark Osiecki at Wisconsin fall into that group. I look for signs of this (see the serial commits at Wisconsin when the new staff went there), but was a bit disappointed that (1) Kelleher/Gildon didn't cause Limoges to flip, and (2) Commesso wasn't able to bring his classmate Liam Connors along with him. Either one of those things might have sent a stronger message to the community.
                    We are lucky that Connors didnt bring Commesso to BU! By the accounts I heard BU thought it was a 100% lock done deal that Commesso would go there as the heir to Oettinger. Instead he chose UNH. On a side note - I noticed that Scott Morrow (son of Steve Morrow '91) and Nate Hanley (possible son of Tim Hanley '88?) played on same team (Boston Jr Bruins) as Commesso in summer hockey. Would LOVE to add those players to the recruiting list as well. Souza has to be aggressive with some 01 and 02's as many of the Hockey East programs have. Identify the studs and go get them! Connors would have been a great fit on the large ice surface at the Whitt but right now BU is the place to play.
                    Last edited by Lemonade; 03-22-2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      These are all factors - but North Dakota builds ridiculous rosters because of their cost of attendance. I've said this before but ill re-post a breakdown tonight after work. Money and affording college is still the biggest factor in a families decision...
                      Here is a breakdown of North Dakota's most underrated recruiting advantage (vs. UNH)...

North Dakota Annual Out-Of-State Tuition Costs:

Minnesota - 8,938.00
                      Contiguous - 11,476.00*
                      Midwest Exchange - 11,476.00**
                      Western Exchange - 11,476.00***
                      Other - 19,291.00

* MB, SK, MT, SD
                      ** IL, IN, MI, MO, WI, NE, KS
                      *** AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY

UNH Annual Out-of-State Tuition Costs:

New England Resident - 25,217.50
                      Other - 28,210.00

North Dakota is an INCREDIBLE bargain. Even more so when compared to any private school. UNH would have to offer a recruit from any of the states listed above a 50% ride just to match UND tuition. Sure, UND has an amazing facility and a winning tradition - but they can throw 18 full scholarships at the best players they can find and then offer walk-on spots that can compete (advantageously!) with most school's 50% rides. Coaching/Recruiting there must be an absolute buffet style bonanza...

Conversely, tuition at BU and BC is over 50,000.00 - and is advantage UNH. However, private schools love to pump up tuition so they can brag about how much aid they give. So it may not be as pronounced...
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-22-2017, 05:27 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                        Then shame on UNH for not locking them up on Saturday. Speaking of Walshy, he would have. Completely serious, it's a competition, the sooner they realize that the better.

You do know the most current National Championship trophy is sitting in that megalopolis of Grand Forks, ND, correct?

No, we don't, sorry. The only one that's going to excite is you, and a bunch of other guys on the far side of 50. Some 17 year old from Long Island isn't going to give two craps if Jamie Hislop is in the building. Echo chamber?
                        EJ

I presume you are not a UNH fan at all and when a top kid says he will commit on Monday and needs the time to be sure it is a right fit, you give them the time. If all you want to do is win without any ethics or morals, why coach hockey at the college level. This is about academics and growth over four important years of their life. Walsh was a rule breaker and yes he won 2 titles, but I prefer a coach who wins and really is interested in the student athletes lives and futures. I know at BC where I presume you are from, they have bright kids who will do well in a life outside of hockey. We have had academic stars as well and though it would be great to win a national championship, it is far more important to prepare these kids for life.

They are an aberration at North Dakota as that is all they have for the winter months in that area and a wealthy donor built a world class rink. I am envious and they recruit very well but rarely run up against the Hockey East teams for talent. They are a first choice school of many in the mid-west, west and western Canada. On average, the kids in the eastern US have shown a preference over the last decade for cities and UNH won far more battles with the Boston schools in the early 2000's than later. Yes I do know where North Dakota is EJ and it would be great if we had an arena and a rich benefactor to help us.

I want former player's families to come to UNH and I agree that Jamie Hislop may not mean much to a 17 year old as you fairly state, it would be nice for more former players would bring their families to games. Most have kids and it is better to keep them fans of UNH rather than BC or BU if they live in the Boston area. For alumni night, the house should pick up the tab and it is important to the UNH family that they keep in touch and participate in the program. If you are Jerry York posting on this sight, I would listen closely to your insights but I am doubtful that you ever coached or played hockey and you rip our coaching staff and players whenever you show up on the board. This is a fan forum, not a rip on everyone and their ideas to get one's jollys.

If you really are a UNH fan, please stop by 104 M 8 at the Whit, and I would like to hear your thoughts on improving our hockey program. I kind of doubt that might happen, but it would give me pleasure to have you visit and give your real insights and what Mike Souza might do to make us a top 10 team for the next 10 years.

I am leaving the forum again and I know you will write some snide comment. I am pretty sure you could care less about UNH and there will be a barrage of Umile stealing money and we will not win more than 14 games and ......

My biggest hope is that we fill the house often this year and have a great summer and I will see those who go to games in October.

Please do not beat up the kids that play for our team and have fun belittling UNH's greatest coach in any sport as he is a great man and just brushes it off. He is fair game but please try to stop the hate and venom on this sight. Umile is better at his job then most everyone else on this sight. He has had some down years but his body of work is as good as it gets at UNH. I know Coach Souza is going to be great and though he is a nice guy with strong morals and values, he plays well to families and recruits. He has closed the deal without leaving a bad taste and without using high pressure tactics. My best guess is that there is not a single person on this board that would do a better job than the UNH hockey staff at recruiting or coaching.

Yes UNH messed up with Vecchione and a few others, but the body of work is better than most.

UNH does bring at least one private school hockey team to the Whit for almost every game. They also have a hockey camp and they also have most of the best 16-18 year old players in the country at the Whittemore Center thanks to Borek and Umile. There are scouts and coaches there and at Exeter for a 3 day showcase.

Best wishes to all and their families on USCHO. For those UNH fans that know me, please keep in touch via email. Keep posting the good news CHC as there will be quite a few new recruits in the new year as we have 7 graduating this year.

Comment

Before you leave 1932, I appreciate your belief that I would be of use on any Board for UNH but I'm a Lumpa! For those that don't know of the term forged by local radio show, Greg and the Morning Buzz, it is a lunch bucket worker, a guy who shleps for a living......I can't join Rotary because I can't take the mandatory lunch during the week! Point being, usually Boards want people who can bring money or prestige to the game......neither are my forte' 😉
                          In reading your post above, it brought to mind the one thing that I haven't read from anyone.....does anyone remember Coach Holt's retirement party? Almost every player that played for him came back to honor him......was it the Granite St. room in the MUB that we packed......same for his Remembrance Service in the gym at the Field house.....some of the UNH HOF dinners....at all of these events, we were Family! And that is what every player feels, either when playing or after.......even some of the annual golf outings, which can become redundant after 40 years, remind you, as you sit and laugh amongst all these folks that love UNH, how much you loved and miss your days on campus! How Mike or Stewy can explain and emote this to the recruit is the real key......it was back when! 🏒🏒🏒👍🏻

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                            Before you leave 1932, I appreciate your belief that I would be of use on any Board for UNH but I'm a Lumpa! For those that don't know of the term forged by local radio show, Greg and the Morning Buzz, it is a lunch bucket worker, a guy who shleps for a living......I can't join Rotary because I can't take the mandatory lunch during the week! Point being, usually Boards want people who can bring money or prestige to the game......neither are my forte' 😉
                            In reading your post above, it brought to mind the one thing that I haven't read from anyone.....does anyone remember Coach Holt's retirement party? Almost every player that played for him came back to honor him......was it the Granite St. room in the MUB that we packed......same for his Remembrance Service in the gym at the Field house.....some of the UNH HOF dinners....at all of these events, we were Family! And that is what every player feels, either when playing or after.......even some of the annual golf outings, which can become redundant after 40 years, remind you, as you sit and laugh amongst all these folks that love UNH, how much you loved and miss your days on campus! How Mike or Stewy can explain and emote this to the recruit is the real key......it was back when! 🏒🏒🏒👍🏻
                            Zoofer really appreciate your perspective of UNH hockey and am glad we have people that have first hand experience with the hockey program posting.

I would think that MS amd Stewie do a great job in emphasizing what you speak of having been players. Have heard them both speak of their fond UNH connections and am sure it comes through. I think that's a powerful recruiting tool.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                              We have had 3-4 over the past 4 years that were going to commit to UNH on Monday and York called them to offer them on Sunday because a player went pro.
                              Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                              EJ

I presume you are not a UNH fan at all and when a top kid says he will commit on Monday and needs the time to be sure it is a right fit, you give them the time.
                              Were going to commit and needs the time are two VASTLY different things. My response was to the first one and then you threw the second one at me.

Most likely the truth is BC was the kid's first choice. They didn't have a space for him so he moved towards UNH but York told him don't do anything until X date, that's when my flight risks have told me they'd give me their decision. That date came, flight risks flew, good bye UNH, hello BC.

I'm sure that's not how it plays in the Echo Chamber but that's kinda sorta the whole problem lately anyway, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                                B....at all of these events, we were Family! And that is what every player feels, either when playing or after.......even some of the annual golf outings, which can become redundant after 40 years, remind you, as you sit and laugh amongst all these folks that love UNH, how much you loved and miss your days on campus! How Mike or Stewy can explain and emote this to the recruit is the real key......it was back when! 🏒🏒🏒👍🏻
                                You're basically saying sell nostalgia to a 17 year old as a key recruiting tool. Good luck with that, we might as well move to D3 now.

Comment

Working...
                                X