WCHA title Michigan Tech vs Bowling Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA title Michigan Tech vs Bowling Green

Just got home from the MacInnes, what a great place to be tonight. Tip of the hat to the Falcons, they played hard and well. Great win for Tech and Mel. WAY TO GO HUSKIES!!
    Last edited by lawdoggies; 03-18-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      That was a fine game, and I'm glad that the embellishment call on Gould didn't cost the Huskies.

GFM
      I may be partial,but that sure didn't look like embellishment to me (or other fans in attendance). Gould is on the lighter side as far as weight goes and he was clearly knocked over. The guy plays with a lot of guts and determination for his stature. How did you see it?
      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
        I may be partial,but that sure didn't look like embellishment to me (or other fans in attendance). Gould is on the lighter side as far as weight goes and he was clearly knocked over. The guy plays with a lot of guts and determination for his stature. How did you see it?
        Just like you did. I think the ref didn't want to put one team a man down. It was a wretched call.

Comment

Congratulations Huskies!
          "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
          -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

2 OT's is fitting to finish this season. When a husky has a trailer, if they got the puck more often it would have led to more scoring chances. All around great game, great atmosphere, perfect way to end a season.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Setting aside the results of the various games, I still feel the new home ice tourney format is awful for road team fans who want to watch their team in the playoffs. But I do have to admit that this year's WCHA playoffs were far better than any possible neutral site event could have been. Wish I could have been in Houghton to see Tech win, but long distance travel from out of town on 6-days notice is just too spendy, even for a die-hard fan. Congrats to BGSU on their season. Hopefully next year and going forward the WCHA can win some NC games so that the WCHA Championship (or the tourney for that matter) isn't necessarily an elimination game for two or more deserving teams.
              Ryan J
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                I'm sure that the refs were told to keep everything equal, especially in OT. Embellishment was the only call he could make to keep it even. IMO, it wasn't embellishment and Walker took a really, really stupid penalty. He is/was one of our best d-men and he took himself out of the championship game. Stupid.

That being said, it was one of the best championship games I've ever seen. It really could have gone either way and neither team had a clear advantage over the other for much of the game. Congratulations to MTU for pulling it out and going to the dance. You earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                  I'm sure that the refs were told to keep everything equal, especially in OT. Embellishment was the only call he could make to keep it even. IMO, it wasn't embellishment and Walker took a really, really stupid penalty. He is/was one of our best d-men and he took himself out of the championship game. Stupid.

That being said, it was one of the best championship games I've ever seen. It really could have gone either way and neither team had a clear advantage over the other for much of the game. Congratulations to MTU for pulling it out and going to the dance. You earned it.
                  I was upset as anyone about the embellishment call at the time, but Mel made a good point on his show. Basically Walker was clearing out the crease as happens without a call 100 times per game, but Gould being caught off guard (and being very lightweight) was knocked off his feet which made it look like a more violent hit. So they felt like they had to call something, then evened it up so as not to create a PP. While they probably shouldn't have called anything at all, Mel didn't have a problem with evening it up.
                  It worked out okay for us.
                  I was impressed with the BG fans that made a very long trip for the game, fun to talk to in the concourse and impressively noisy when BG scored. Well done.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post

We have had a few bad calls throughout the playoffs,not just this game. The fans have been letting the refs know about it with the loud booing on questionable calls. Fans up here are very knowledgeable about the game.
                    I like the way your team plays the game. They are fun to watch. The game could have gone either way. To win it in dramatic fashion was something I'll always remember.
                    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      I was upset as anyone about the embellishment call at the time, but Mel made a good point on his show. Basically Walker was clearing out the crease as happens without a call 100 times per game, but Gould being caught off guard (and being very lightweight) was knocked off his feet which made it look like a more violent hit. So they felt like they had to call something, then evened it up so as not to create a PP. While they probably shouldn't have called anything at all, Mel didn't have a problem with evening it up.
                      It worked out okay for us.
                      I was impressed with the BG fans that made a very long trip for the game, fun to talk to in the concourse and impressively noisy when BG scored. Well done.
                      Honestly that was the only thing there was to complain about ref-wise all game. I thought it was really well officiated.
                      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                        Honestly that was the only thing there was to complain about ref-wise all game. I thought it was really well officiated.
                        Well, there was the ankle chop followed by cross-check to the back that Spezia received earlier in OT.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                          Well, there was the ankle chop followed by cross-check to the back that Spezia received earlier in OT.
                          Part of the problem watching the game on TV is that you don't get to see stuff that happens away from the puck, which is a lot.
                          As far as embellishment. I have not once seen an embellishment call made that was accurate. The real embellishments go unpunished. I'm looking at you Duluth.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
                            Part of the problem watching the game on TV is that you don't get to see stuff that happens away from the puck, which is a lot.
                            As far as embellishment. I have not once seen an embellishment call made that was accurate. The real embellishments go unpunished. I'm looking at you Duluth.
                            I watched the entire game from start to finish and both teams got away with a few that probably are called, especially from the 2nd period on, in the regular season.
                            I like it that way though. Let the players decide the game. There was nothing over the top egregious that went uncalled.

You're right in that they had let worse than Walkers cross-check go many times in the previous 40+ minutes, which is why they then made the "make up" embellishment call.
                            Funny thing is the whole scenario worked out to Tech's favor as many probably didn't know it but BG had been a really bad 4 on 4 team all season, however the penalty kill had been very, very good the last 6 weeks. I told my wife "this is Tech's big chance right here, the open ice of the 4x4 will be better for them than having the actual PP". They took advantage of BG's sloppy 4x4 play and their really poor attempt at a line change.

Bottom line is it was an even game and both teams had a least 5 golden chances to end it. BG couldn't get one to find the back of the net and Tech did. Kudos to them.

Comment

Working...
                            X