Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Shouldn't Terry Pegula take some of the blame too for gifting some of his fracking fortune back to his alma mater?
    Yes, we all have a special place in our hearts for the rich & influential!

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      That's just not true......
      Agreed.

And honestly it is all Air Force's fault for leaving the CHA. That started this whole mess.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm not sure how much of a difference this would have made......

I don't have great knowledge of the old CCHA tournament, geographically speaking. But the reason the WCHA Final Five worked is because you had Minnesota's fan base right in town, SCSU about an hour away, Mankato about an hour and a half, UND has a large fanbase in the Twin Cities plus whoever made the trip from Grand Forks. I'm guessing it was similar for the CCHA.

As for the BTT, the fans who care know where the conference tourney is and know how they can get there without a Visit Detroit pamphlet.
        Proximity really added value to the WCHA Final Five attendance and atmosphere. Back in the day, Michigan Tech and Alaska-Anchorage rarely made it to the WCHA Final Five. So of the remaining 8 teams with the exception of CC and Denver, 6 of them were within 5-6 hours driving distance to the X.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          I've seen a lot more of them than I have Gopher fans at the Joe. I'm not being a jerk, just stating facts.
          That's fair. He never answered my question though.

Not directed at you but, "whatever, dude."
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Just catching up. Yes the tourney atmosphere is terrible. The CCHA and WCHA had better atmospheres for the tourney.

I think part of the problem that hasn't been mentioned yet is that every team makes it. I'm not traveling to watch my team lose 1 game on a Thursday. Although, I did go watch my team lose 1 game yesterday, but that's an hour drive, so very little cost and didn't have to take time off of work.

Question for anyone who was there today, did the ushers even pretend to care where you sat?
            No. I feel bad for the ushers, having to stand around an empty arena waiting for hours to go home.

Thankfully college hockey doesn't have the problem of large number of guys bolting for the NHL after one collegiate season like basketball does but Michigan was indeed dinged by the exodus from last season.
            Maybe not at your school. I think Michigan and Minnesota fans typically wonder how big of an exodus we'll have each offseason. Though this year, I'm not too worried about Michigan losing guys.
            Guys that bolted after only 1 season at Michigan: Kyle Connor (would have been a sophomore this year), Dylan Larkin (would have been a junior this year). Other guys that went pro that could have been on this season's team: Compher, Motte, Downing, Werenski.
            It's the reality of recruiting top players. Still hurts as a fan though.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Are either of these Friday games televised? Thanks.
              You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                Are either of these Friday games televised? Thanks.
                All tournament games are on BTN.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I've seen a lot more of them than I have Gopher fans at the Joe. I'm not being a jerk, just stating facts.
                  Because the Gophers haven't played yet. I'm pretty sure there will be at least a small uptick of Gopher fans for their game. Personally I had very little desire to watch the quarters this year.

Comment

Upon entering the arena last night, I was immediately given lower bowl tickets in exchange for my upper bowl ones.

$25 face tickets for free, basically. Not to mention they were handing them out at other places around tournament time.

I took in Joe Louis last night for the final time. Sad to see it go. It's a dump, but it's our dump. Lots of great memories in there since Michigan has over 100 wins. Been going there for decades, not just for college games but Wings games, shows etc.

Sad seeing the entire upper bowl empty except the oddly-placed bands (the B1G is dumb. They put the PSU band in the spot Michigan always occupies). Never had that for the CCHA.

There might be more rodents in the building than people these next two days. And I'm not talking about Minnesota.
                    Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 03-17-2017, 03:02 PM.
                    ---
                    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                    19 Conference Championships
                    10 Conference Tournament Championships
                    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

What are OSU's at large odds if they lose? I'm picturing it being dependent on an Air Force loss (or Air Force winning the AHA crown) and UW, Quinnipiac and BC all falling short.

Anything less and I imagine they're out.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        What are OSU's at large odds if they lose? I'm picturing it being dependent on an Air Force loss (or Air Force winning the AHA crown) and UW, Quinnipiac and BC all falling short.

Anything less and I imagine they're out.
                        If they lose today Bc Quinnipiac or Wisconsin can not win their league title. Any of those 3 Win Ohio state is out

Comment

So this is literally a win or go home game for OSU and UW, then.

I'm fine with that. Let's end OSU's season!
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Great flow to this game so far.
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Great flow to this game so far.
                              It was a good period both ways. Lots of hustle out there. Badgers have such a good "scoring first" record in part because they are awful in the first about 90% of the time. Better today.

We were wondering just who the heck Jack Berry was six months ago, and now we're riding him the rest of the way. Funny how that works. He's been good so far but I'm changing it to Jack O'Berry if he holds up today. Let's Go Red!
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                                Upon entering the arena last night, I was immediately given lower bowl tickets in exchange for my upper bowl ones.

$25 face tickets for free, basically. Not to mention they were handing them out at other places around tournament time.

I took in Joe Louis last night for the final time. Sad to see it go. It's a dump, but it's our dump. Lots of great memories in there since Michigan has over 100 wins. Been going there for decades, not just for college games but Wings games, shows etc.

Sad seeing the entire upper bowl empty except the oddly-placed bands (the B1G is dumb. They put the PSU band in the spot Michigan always occupies). Never had that for the CCHA.

There might be more rodents in the building than people these next two days. And I'm not talking about Minnesota.
                                What's dumb about the placement of PSU's band? Michigan doesn't need it anymore.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X