Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The Joe sucks. We all knew that. The corpies didn't figure that out.
    The Joe didn't suck the way the CCHA ran the show. The B1G either didn't care or are too arrogant to see what worked before and adopt it. They even have the former CCHA commissioner working for the B1G network as a on ice analyst so you can't tell me they don't have someone with the knowledge to tell them what they're doing wrong - if they'd ask his input!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      So, who do you think has a better chance of knocking off Minnesota, Michigan or Penn State?
      I'll go with Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        The Joe didn't suck the way the CCHA ran the show. The B1G either didn't care or are too arrogant to see what worked before and adopt it. They even have the former CCHA commissioner working for the B1G network as a on ice analyst so you can't tell me they don't have someone with the knowledge to tell them what they're doing wrong - if they'd ask his input!
        Exactly.

If you don't like the Joe because it's an old building, that's fine. It's old and getting replaced.

But all of us CCHA people know, the party was really fun. Not sure why old WCHA people want to convince us that we had a bad time when we had fun- that's just strange. Sure, it could have been better- and I've tried to make that point to the CCHA in the past.

Where the B1G failed is that they relied fully on the BTN and did not care about people in the seats. Given that the CCHA went away- just picking up what they had, and adding the same thing to Wisconsin and Minnesota would have been a good way to start- even starting in Minneapolis. But they didn't. And when fans went directly to them telling them what to do, they totally ignored the suggestions. It would be easy for a handful of B1G promoters, who I'm betting they have at EACH school, to go to home games. It would also be easy to get large amounts of promotional stuff FOR FREE (and gladly handed out) from Visit Detroit and Visit Twin Cities to help fans go to each city.

Why they ignored that? No idea. IMHO, even with renting the Joe and the X, they could easily have done better in terms of income than the home site set up. This isn't rocket science, it's marketing 101.

BTW, pretending that the WCHA/CCHA is going to come back- well, good luck with that. Someday you will realize that this is the direction we are going, and while you are welcome to hate it, it seems like a waste of time and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
          Thanks Big Ten for taking a kick arse postseason tourney (WCHA), and a pretty good one, that included the best awards ceremony and blowing them up. The most important conference in college hockey, or hockey for schmucks...
          Oh whatever.

Yeah the death of the WCHA and the Final Five stinks. But the B1G finally had six, and the bloated conferences left no room for expansion of the sport. It was an inevitable, bitter pill to swallow so griping about it makes as much sense as that fuss my 2-year-old makes when I try to give him medicine.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            Are you on drugs? It's a football and basketball conference. Many of the schools couldn't care less about hockey (or think it's "field hockey")
            Relative to football and basketball, sure.

Relative to other schools, some that are basically hockey schools, not so much.

At the moment, the only school that I would really question their support is OSU, and that goes back to when I had a hockey camp with some of the first players in the OSU program. Why it's never really caught on is pretty much all football (in spite of the support from people like Woody Hayes).

MSU is quite confusing right now that they support a coach who hasn't shown any ability to win. But I still think that at the core, they support them.

No question about Minnesota or Wisconsin, and I don't think that Michigan has any real support problems. PSU's rise and their great new rink speak for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
              Thanks Big Ten for taking a kick arse postseason tourney (WCHA), and a pretty good one, that included the best awards ceremony and blowing them up. The most important conference in college hockey, or hockey for schmucks...
              Two teams left for the B1G. The rest of the teams could have easily run with what was left.

IMHO, the WCHA could have survived without the Gophers and Badgers. (sadly- the way the CCHA was run, it would not have lasted long without MSU or UM- which was pretty stupid in that respect)

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                But all of us CCHA people know, the party was really fun. Not sure why old WCHA people want to convince us that we had a bad time when we had fun- that's just strange. Sure, it could have been better- and I've tried to make that point to the CCHA in the past.
                Not having been to the old Final Five but from knowing and talking to many who have, both leagues had their own type of party.

The WCHA was, as Brent pointed out, more of a family reunion because people came to tailgate, hang out, and be around friends in the neighboring parking lots they hadn't seen in a year (or more). This was hosted by, and put on by, the fans of the teams (think Milwaukee Brewers Tailgate).

The CCHA hosted their own after party. Somewhere fans could mingle and be around friends they hadn't seen in a year (or more) at the Ren Center party.

The WCHA took the gate fees from the Final Four and cut a check to every team in the league. Fans had to pony up their own booze.

The CCHA took the gate fees from the Super Six/Championship and paid for a night of booze for the fans. And NMU hosted an alumni social at the Joe also providing free booze.

To each their own, but both conferences did one Hell of a job each year under the old leagues. The social side of each event was just supported differently.

Now as for the annual conference awards, my money is on the CCHA doing it better than the WCHA. Not sure how it gets better than dinner and awards at the Fox Theater in Detroit.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

So, should we blame Penn State for getting a hockey team and screwing it all up? Everything was fine until they came into the picture.

Comment

Two teams left for the B1G. The rest of the teams could have easily run with what was left.

IMHO, the WCHA could have survived without the Gophers and Badgers. (sadly- the way the CCHA was run, it would not have lasted long without MSU or UM- which was pretty stupid in that respect)
                    Agreed. It didn't help that the two new "heads" of the CCHA (in Miami and Notre Dame) wanted out as fast as they could.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Now as for the annual conference awards, my money is on the CCHA doing it better than the WCHA. Not sure how it gets better than dinner and awards at the Fox Theater in Detroit.
                      Except maybe for the very last one. I was expecting a gourmet spread and when they took the silver lids off the trays there was stacks of WHITE CASTLE SLIDERS!
                      But again, they were liquidating everything and were at the end of their funds. I liquidated that dinner as well if you get my meaning!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        So, should we blame Penn State for getting a hockey team and screwing it all up? Everything was fine until they came into the picture.
                        No, I blame the knee jerk reaction that was the NCHC.

I've said my piece. I just want all 59 teams to be successful. The me-myself-and-I in the name of "like mindedness" is horsesh**.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                          Except maybe for the very last one. I was expecting a gourmet spread and when they took the silver lids off the trays there was stacks of WHITE CASTLE SLIDERS!
                          But again, they were liquidating everything and were at the end of their funds. I liquidated that dinner as well if you get my meaning!!
                          😂

Too funny!!

I miss tOSU's trips to Marquette. The rivalry from the 80's, the carry over dislike into the 2000's... The rally cry of "Oh How I Hate Ohio State" is lessened since the formation of the B1G.

Thank you for beating Sparty though!

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Where the B1G failed is that they relied fully on the BTN and did not care about people in the seats. Given that the CCHA went away- just picking up what they had, and adding the same thing to Wisconsin and Minnesota would have been a good way to start- even starting in Minneapolis. But they didn't. And when fans went directly to them telling them what to do, they totally ignored the suggestions. It would be easy for a handful of B1G promoters, who I'm betting they have at EACH school, to go to home games. It would also be easy to get large amounts of promotional stuff FOR FREE (and gladly handed out) from Visit Detroit and Visit Twin Cities to help fans go to each city.

Why they ignored that? No idea. IMHO, even with renting the Joe and the X, they could easily have done better in terms of income than the home site set up. This isn't rocket science, it's marketing 101.
                            I'm not sure how much of a difference this would have made......

I don't have great knowledge of the old CCHA tournament, geographically speaking. But the reason the WCHA Final Five worked is because you had Minnesota's fan base right in town, SCSU about an hour away, Mankato about an hour and a half, UND has a large fanbase in the Twin Cities plus whoever made the trip from Grand Forks. I'm guessing it was similar for the CCHA.

As for the BTT, the fans who care know where the conference tourney is and know how they can get there without a Visit Detroit pamphlet.
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                              I'm not sure how much of a difference this would have made......

I don't have great knowledge of the old CCHA tournament, geographically speaking. But the reason the WCHA Final Five worked is because you had Minnesota's fan base right in town, SCSU about an hour away, Mankato about an hour and a half, UND has a large fanbase in the Twin Cities plus whoever made the trip from Grand Forks. I'm guessing it was similar for the CCHA.

As for the BTT, the fans who care know where the conference tourney is and know how they can get there without a Visit Detroit pamphlet.
                              Not really- Michigan was 40 min away, MSU and BGSU 1 1/2, Western and OSU about 3.

So the only "regular" fans one could count on were Michigan- as I'd put EL too far away to go just for the sake of going. But when schools made the weekend, they brought fans, and quite a few of them. We'd have more from Lake State than the B1G had from Michigan.

When they going- fans from Northern (10 ish hours) and UNO (no idea how far) would come. Which is to say, with CCHA kind of promotion and stuff going on- we could expect a good group of fans from PSU and OSU, let alone MSU and UM- as everyone is there.

Again, the WCHA and CCHA championships were very different weekends- but we had a great time at the CCHA weekends. Replicating that would have been light years better than what the B1G did.

Comment

Not really- Michigan was 40 min away, MSU and BGSU 1 1/2, Western and OSU about 3.

So the only "regular" fans one could count on were Michigan- as I'd put EL too far away to go just for the sake of going. But when schools made the weekend, they brought fans, and quite a few of them. We'd have more from Lake State than the B1G had from Michigan.

When they going- fans from Northern (10 ish hours) and UNO (no idea how far) would come. Which is to say, with CCHA kind of promotion and stuff going on- we could expect a good group of fans from PSU and OSU, let alone MSU and UM- as everyone is there.

Again, the WCHA and CCHA championships were very different weekends- but we had a great time at the CCHA weekends. Replicating that would have been light years better than what the B1G did.
                                Ok, you're right. The B1G setting up a booth at Mariucci handing out freebies and Visit Detroit pamphlets would really jack up all those Minnesota fans. I bet if they'd have done that they'd get 7-8k heading to Detroit for this.
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X