BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

Good news for next year: We'll get two chances to get our first Big Ten postseason win!
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
      Yes, this is the correct format. It is odd to see so much incorrect information floating around about this.
      3 weekends, 2nd and 3rd weekends being single game match-ups
      So the league that is trying to expand their presence will offer 3 total games over the final 2 weeks of the season.

I actually got some feedback from an e-mail that I sent to the league office and the reasoning for this is that they wanted to ensure that every game is played in front of a home crowd.
      So, here's a thought. If the tournament isn't making money, why even have a post-season, other than tradition? Just give the auto-bid to the regular season champ, and try to use the conference's division 1 status/rules power to get 4 more games during the regular season if you don't have a conference tournament. I would think the extra home weekends would generate more $$$ than the any post-season format they come up with. The weekends are certainly there/available from a scheduling standpoint. The only issue is the NCAA rule/game limit - and logically, you should be able to change that, as it's at most 2 extra games for some teams - but, really the same # of games or less than some other conferences' teams have post season.

Is everyone attached to the idea of a conference tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
        So, here's a thought. If the tournament isn't making money, why even have a post-season, other than tradition?
        The money isn't made through attendance but by sponsorships.

Comment

So, who do you think has a better chance of knocking off Minnesota, Michigan or Penn State?

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
            Is everyone attached to the idea of a conference tournament?
            I do think it needs to be retained, mainly because it gives all teams, however disappointing they may be during the regular season, some hope of turning around their season by making a go of it in the NCAA Tournament. Without that hope players on those teams would gradually lose motivation, and their fans would be less motivated to continue their support by showing up at their remaining games.

That said, the format they're using this year - having all games played at a central site - needs to go. Thankfully, the league has recognized that and starting next year will have games played on the higher seeded teams' home ice where fan interest and attendance will be greatly improved.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

But there was a LOT the conference could have done to make the current format better. They acted like they just didn't care.

Comment

Penn State 3, Michigan 0 after one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  But there was a LOT the conference could have done to make the current format better. They acted like they just didn't care.
                  Heck yes.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Penn State 3, Michigan 0 after one.
                    I don't think Michigan could even beat their own mother tonight. I just can't recall ever seeing their team underperform like this season. I may catch hell from the Buckeye faithful for saying this but I kind of feel sorry for them.

Comment

I don't think Michigan could even beat their own mother tonight. I just can't recall ever seeing their team underperform like this season. I may catch hell from the Buckeye faithful for saying this but I kind of feel sorry for them.
                      They just lost SO much talent from last year, but even so they did underperform. I say "did" (past tense) because their season appears to be over (now losing 1-4 late in the 2nd).

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        They just lost SO much talent from last year, but even so they did underperform. I say "did" (past tense) because their season appears to be over (now losing 1-4 late in the 2nd).
                        Thankfully college hockey doesn't have the problem of large number of guys bolting for the NHL after one collegiate season like basketball does but Michigan was indeed dinged by the exodus from last season.

Comment

So, who do you think has a better chance of knocking off Minnesota, Michigan or Penn State?
                          I liked our chances before the game. I will leave it at that.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Well tomorrow's set. Should be some good hockey to watch!

Comment

Well tomorrow's set. Should be some good hockey to watch!
                              The tens of fans will be in for a good doubleheader.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                The tens of fans will be in for a good doubleheader.
                                That's a good one!

Comment

Working...
                                X