BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    Ok, you're right. The B1G setting up a booth at Mariucci handing out freebies and Visit Detroit pamphlets would really jack up all those Minnesota fans. I bet if they'd have done that they'd get 7-8k heading to Detroit for this.
    I thought you guys considered yourselves some kind of special fans.

Apparently not.

It worked for Alaska and UNO. Just sayn.

Comment

• Re: BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      I thought you guys considered yourselves some kind of special fans.

Apparently not.

It worked for Alaska and UNO. Just sayn.
      Yeah, and how many fans total from each of those fanbases attended?
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
        8 and 13 respectively, so 21 total. #extremelyspecialfans

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          So, should we blame Penn State for getting a hockey team and screwing it all up? Everything was fine until they came into the picture.
          Yes. But don't forget that Barry Alvarez also deserves a majority of the blame too.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            From what I read attendance for the B1G tourney dropped from 42,000 tickets sold in 2014, to 16K in 2015, and 15K in 2016. Whoever conceived of this central location swap between the X and Joe really laid an egg.
            Move the ****ed thing to the United Center. It's centrally located for all the schools excepting PSU. All the schools, excepting PSU, have large local alumni bases. And, it removes the butthurt factor of Gopher fans refusing to travel to Detroit and UM/MSU fans refusing to travel to Minneapolis. Additionally, you can throw in Saint Patrick's Day activities to attract the students down. Hell, it couldn't be any worse than the current arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              8 and 13 respectively, so 21 total. #extremelyspecialfans
              Probably about accurate which makes them the Denver and CC fans of the old Final Five. Keep trying.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Who cares?

Jeez, I was just trying to suggest ways that it could have been better.

This B1G thing isn't going to change anytime soon, so we are stuck with each other whether you like it or not. Instead of constantly looking back, why can't we move forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
                  Move the ****ed thing to the United Center. It's centrally located for all the schools excepting PSU. All the schools, excepting PSU, have large local alumni bases. And, it removes the butthurt factor of Gopher fans refusing to travel to Detroit and UM/MSU fans refusing to travel to Minneapolis. Additionally, you can throw in Saint Patrick's Day activities to attract the students down. Hell, it couldn't be any worse than the current arrangement.
                  Not a horrible idea.

The other thing is with Penn St being so new I don't think we could expect them to get in on the conference tournament thing right off the bat. Might have taken a few years but I bet they would have bought into the program if this format had continued. The beauty with Penn St is they don't have to worry about basketball conflicts. lol!

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Enough that the turnout was larger than last night (3,387) with Michigan playing and Ann Arbor just 40 minutes away...
                    Start of Super Six format:
                    2001-02 Thursday CCHA Quarterfinal - ND vs NMU / tOSU vs UA_ - 6,583
                    2002-03 Thursday CCHA Quarterfinal - NMU vs MSU / ND vs tOSU - 6,374
                    2003-04 Thursday CCHA Quarterfinal - NMU vs MSU / ND vs tOSU - 6,238
                    2004-05 Thursday CCHA Quarterfinal - NMU vs UA_ / MSU vs UNO - 3,436*
                    End of Super Six format.

* I wonder if they just split the attendance across both games. For all other Thursday CCHA Super Six games, there was no recorded attendance for the early game, only for the late game. Thursday (and Friday) were single day tickets, with your ticket getting you into both games. IF they did split the games, Thursday, March 17th, 2005 was 6,872.
                    Last edited by aparch; 03-17-2017, 10:54 AM.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Who cares?

Jeez, I was just trying to suggest ways that it could have been better.

This B1G thing isn't going to change anytime soon, so we are stuck with each other whether you like it or not. Instead of constantly looking back, why can't we move forward?
                      You're the one that brought them up! lol!

I agree, and I'm not looking back. You're the one sitting here whining about promotion and all that garbage. Maybe if the two closest schools to the Joe didn't suck so horribly this year, there'd be a few more people there this year. But apparently you needed all those other schools to help fill the Joe back in the day.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

IMHO.......the biggest reason for the ****** poor attendance to the BIG tourney is the simple fact that there is ZERO excitement at the games. In the days of the WCHA Final Five at the X, no matter what two teams were on the ice, the crowd was electric.......now, even if the Gophers are playing, the crowd is pretty laid back. BTN did huge disservice to college hockey in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                          Yes. But don't forget that Barry Alvarez also deserves a majority of the blame too.
                          Shouldn't Terry Pegula take some of the blame too for gifting some of his fracking fortune back to his alma mater?

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotaprideonice46 View Post
                            In the days of the WCHA Final Five at the X, no matter what two teams were on the ice, the crowd was electric.......
                            That's just not true......

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

You're the one that brought them up! lol!

I agree, and I'm not looking back. You're the one sitting here whining about promotion and all that garbage. Maybe if the two closest schools to the Joe didn't suck so horribly this year, there'd be a few more people there this year. But apparently you needed all those other schools to help fill the Joe back in the day.....
                              Whatever, dude.

Comment

I've seen a lot more of them than I have Gopher fans at the Joe. I'm not being a jerk, just stating facts.

Comment

Working...
                                X