Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

Originally posted by Riz View Post
    I'm excited for some Thursday hockey on BTN. Those are HUGE games for Ohio State and Penn State. The Big 10 owns that night in college hockey anyway.

I've heard some horror stories from some North Dakota fans who went to the Kohl center. Personally, I don't dislike any fan base other than some of the jerks in Colorado Springs for Colorado College. Now that their team sucks, they've chilled a lot though.
    I'll definitely be flipping back and forth between that and March Madness.

LOL! UND fans sharing horror stories about other team's fan.....that's rich. Only been to the Kohl Center once but quite honestly, Wisconsin fans were nothing but nice to us.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      I'll definitely be flipping back and forth between that and March Madness.

LOL! UND fans sharing horror stories about other team's fan.....that's rich. Only been to the Kohl Center once but quite honestly, Wisconsin fans were nothing but nice to us.
      I've actually heard that North Dakota fans are very welcoming at the Ralph, and that they appreciate fans travelling to watch their teams because they do the same. I DID NOT hear this from a North Dakota fan and I have never been to Grand Forks. I'll let you know after the NCHC frozen faceoff and west regional (assuming Denver and North Dakota are in that region together) what I think. It's hard to judge them based on games at Magness arena in Denver because despite the fact that they fill half the arena, most of them currently live in Denver and aren't really "die-hards." I went to the Frozen Four last year and the building was all North Dakota fans in the semi-final except two sections of DU fans and had no issues with them. I'm sure they are a lot more hospitable toward Denver fans than Minnesota fans though.

The two guys that I met in 2013 in a Green Bay regional that shared the story were two of the nicest guys around and I'm positive did nothing to antagonize the Wisconsin fans. They actually offered to give my father and I tickets to the Ralph sometime when DU played there. Every team has bad eggs in their fan base though.
      Last edited by Riz; 03-15-2017, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
        I've actually heard that North Dakota fans are very welcoming at the Ralph, and that they appreciate fans travelling to watch their teams because they do the same. I DID NOT hear this from a North Dakota fan and I have never been to Grand Forks. I'll let you know after the NCHC frozen faceoff and west regional (assuming Denver and North Dakota are in that region together) what I think. It's hard to judge them based on games at Magness arena in Denver because despite the fact that they fill half the arena, most of them currently live in Denver and aren't really "die-hards." I went to the Frozen Four last year and the building was all North Dakota fans in the semi-final except two sections of DU fans and had no issues with them. I'm sure they are a lot more hospitable toward Denver fans than Minnesota fans though.

The two guys that I met in 2013 in a Green Bay regional that shared the story were two of the nicest guys around and I'm positive did nothing to antagonize the Wisconsin fans. They actually offered to give my father and I tickets to the Ralph sometime when DU played there. Every team has bad eggs in their fan base though.
        At least in my experience, it was the complete opposite. My buddy and I got shoulder bumped by UND fans as we were walking through the concourse, taunted by little kids, and just straight up cursed/sworn at. I don't doubt that they are probably more hostile toward Gopher fan than other fanbases though.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Apropos of nothing, I seriously love this nickname for the arena:

Pizzarena

Comment

If Sparty & UM get kicked on Thursday, the BIG 6 may have trouble drawing a better crowd at the Joe than the 4400 sellout they'll have at the WCHA Final in Houghton. And I'm talking actual butts in seats. Not tickets distributed.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

At least in my experience, it was the complete opposite. My buddy and I got shoulder bumped by UND fans as we were walking through the concourse, taunted by little kids, and just straight up cursed/sworn at. I don't doubt that they are probably more hostile toward Gopher fan than other fanbases though.
              I'm sure it was because you were a Gopher fan. That doesn't make it ok though. I do know how you feel; I've been sworn at, had popcorn thrown at me, and some of my family members and friends have been scared to return to World Arena where Colorado College plays in the early to mid 2000s. There was even one game where fans were throwing cans and bottles on the ice because of what they thought was a missed call late in the 3rd period. That fan base has chilled quite a bit ever since their team has gone down the toilet though. The students don't even go to the games at World Arena anymore. They still draw a good crowd, but it is very relaxed compared to 10-15 years ago.

Not sure if this holds true between Grand Forks and St. Paul/Minneapolis but Denver and Colorado Springs are truly two completely different worlds politically and that did fuel some of the hatred in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                If Sparty & UM get kicked on Thursday, the BIG 6 may have trouble drawing a better crowd at the Joe than the 4400 sellout they'll have at the WCHA Final in Houghton. And I'm talking actual butts in seats. Not tickets distributed.
                General admission tickets for the upper level are now $13 if you use the code UM online.

Read as: tickets down to $13. No one with a brain is spending a lot of money on tickets to this. There won't be enough people to enforce the seating.

The MSU/OSU game is gonna be a ghost town. 4:30 on a Thursday.
                ---
                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                19 Conference Championships
                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                  General admission tickets for the upper level are now $13 if you use the code UM online.

Read as: tickets down to $13. No one with a brain is spending a lot of money on tickets to this. There won't be enough people to enforce the seating.

The MSU/OSU game is gonna be a ghost town. 4:30 on a Thursday.
                  4:30?! I thought it was 5:30 so I am taking off work an hour early so I can hit the gym and still see most of the game. What could possibly be their reason to make it 4:30? Are they trying to get ****ty attendance and tv ratings?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    4:30?! I thought it was 5:30 so I am taking off work an hour early so I can hit the gym and still see most of the game. What could possibly be their reason to make it 4:30? Are they trying to get ****ty attendance and tv ratings?
                    It's varied. Last year it was 5pm at Saint Paul, in Detroit it was at 4:30 last time around and the first one was at 3pm.

I'm so glad this format is gonna be ceased. Once this thing is over, it will be one extra nail in the CCHA's coffin as far as playing league playoffs in Detroit goes.

Just let it die already. It's never coming back. We're stuck with this homogenized crappy league forever.
                    Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 03-15-2017, 10:03 PM.
                    ---
                    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

I don't even think the MSU/UM game had 4400 the last time it was in Detroit. I think I was one of less than a thousand there for the early OSU/Minnesota game.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        I don't even think the MSU/UM game had 4400 the last time it was in Detroit. I think I was one of less than a thousand there for the early OSU/Minnesota game.
                        The OSU/PSU game was one of the most surreal things I've ever watched. Wasn't there, but I was watching on TV. It was the first game of the tournament.

You heard the notoriously loud Joe goal horn and then DEAD SILENCE when it stopped.
                        ---
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

It's varied. Last year it was 5pm at Saint Paul, in Detroit it was at 4:30 last time around and the first one was at 3pm.

I'm so glad this format is gonna be ceased. Once this thing is over, it will be one extra nail in the CCHA's coffin as far as playing league playoffs in Detroit goes.

Just let it die already. It's never coming back. We're stuck with this homogenized crappy league forever.
                          I think in many ways, David vs Goliath was good for Goliath too. It was part of what made college hockey unique. And at the Joe, Northern & Western brought more fans than Minnesota or Wisconsin.

How will the Big Ten adjust their format? 1 & 2 ger byes the first week? Best of 3 first & second weeks, with a 1 game championship?

Enjoy the last weekend at the Joe.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

My buddy and I got shoulder bumped by UND fans as we were walking through the concourse, taunted by little kids, and just straight up cursed/sworn at.
                            Those little kid taunts always leave a deep emotional scar. ...and then there was a fight and a hockey game broke out?

Comment

I think in many ways, David vs Goliath was good for Goliath too. It was part of what made college hockey unique. And at the Joe, Northern & Western brought more fans than Minnesota or Wisconsin.

How will the Big Ten adjust their format? 1 & 2 ger byes the first week? Best of 3 first & second weeks, with a 1 game championship?

Enjoy the last weekend at the Joe.
                              7 team tournament next year (Notre Dame joins as affiliate member

Best of 3 first round at higher seed arenas: 2v7, 3v6, 4v5

1 hosts single-elim semifinals and championship game the next weekend.

Basically a mini-CCHA playoff but no Joe Louis.
                              ---
                              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

7 team tournament next year (Notre Dame joins as affiliate member

Best of 3 first round at higher seed arenas: 2v7, 3v6, 4v5

1 hosts single-elim semifinals and championship game the next weekend.

Basically a mini-CCHA playoff but no Joe Louis.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X