Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Indy car starts today, so it's time to start a new thread for it.

Much wider F1 cars with more wings- and winter testing has some hope for Ferrari vs. Mercedes. But McLaren is still struggling with Honda.

Haven't looked into IndyCar, other than noting that they are on ESPN instead of NBCSN. Interesting change.

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Bourdais from worst to first with a little luck as well. Great stuff!

I have a feeling he may win another 2-3 races this season as he's paired with the engineer had at Newman-Haas.

Solid tv numbers but a slight decline from last year.

Someone please give Sage Karem a ride!

Indy lights...now here's a pair to watch out for: Colton Herta nabs a 2nd and 1st in his first outing and he's just 16!!!
    His team owner? George Michael Steinbrenner IV! And he's 20!

This pair may graduate to INDY together in just 2 years.

I hope Herta is the real deal.

As for f1, I'm a bit concerned Ferrari has caught and surpassed Mercedes. Nothing against the prancing horse but I HATE Vettel.

Maybe Raikonnen can give him a good fight.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

McLaren admitted today they have reached out to Mercedes about the possibility of supplying engines. Are Honda's days numbered?
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        As for f1, I'm a bit concerned Ferrari has caught and surpassed Mercedes. Nothing against the prancing horse but I HATE Vettel.

Maybe Raikonnen can give him a good fight.
        I'm not even convinced they caught them, never mind surpassed them. Times during testing can be very misleading.

However, I do believe Ferrari has made great strides, and I do believe they will be able to put up a fight. How much, only time will tell. And possibly even have surpassed Red Bull.

I also wouldn't count out Kimi keeping Vettel very honest.

Right now, it looks like it could be a very interesting season.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Bourdais from worst to first with a little luck as well. Great stuff!

I have a feeling he may win another 2-3 races this season as he's paired with the engineer had at Newman-Haas.

Solid tv numbers but a slight decline from last year.

Someone please give Sage Karem a ride!

Indy lights...now here's a pair to watch out for: Colton Herta nabs a 2nd and 1st in his first outing and he's just 16!!!
          Grand Prix of St. Pete was a solid first race for the season. Bourdais is a misunderstood guy sometimes because he tells it like it is (rather not be in someone face on tv when things go bad but...) but nice to see him win and have some emotion after the race.

General thoughts, it seems like Gannassi going over to Honda has tipped the balance of power to Hondas now. Not just in pure numbers but the testing and even practices this weekend proved that CGR did their homework this offseason converting over to Honda. CGR is one heck of a team there is no doubt. Given that Hondas were having issues on RC/SC and doing well on ovals last year, it's going to be interesting to see how this all works out over the course of the season. Can Honda still look great on ovals (or even better) while closing the gap on the roads and streets? A lot of moaning coming from Dixon and his team and others about the bad timing of the yellows, which basically screwed Dixon and Hinchcliffe among others. And put Bourdais in great shape that he held onto the whole way through.

How about Will Power's abortion of a race? Drove over a hose in the pits, then got black flagged - terrible call from his chief. Cindric never would have let that happen. Total embarrassment.

People are freaking out about Herta... will be interested to see that development.

I now have my parking all sorted out for Indy. And hotel has been sorted out for a while. Tickets came from Santa. Splurged and even got bronze badges. Getting close now... very excited. Driving straight from Massachusetts to the Indy gates for Carb Day after work Thursday.
          Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-16-2017, 03:58 PM.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

It's interesting to see Honda do better in IndyCar, given their struggles in F1. McLaren is very slow, and there are some reports that they are trying to get Manor's engines for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              It's interesting to see Honda do better in IndyCar, given their struggles in F1. McLaren is very slow, and there are some reports that they are trying to get Manor's engines for this season.
              I just read that Honda engineering in f1 is from the mothership in Japan.

Honda in INDYCAR is Honda U.S. so two very different philosophies guiding development.

It's very surprising how far behind they are in f1 regardless as I thought they'd have their bedt engineers and tighter focus on f1.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                I'm not even convinced they caught them, never mind surpassed them. Times during testing can be very misleading.

However, I do believe Ferrari has made great strides, and I do believe they will be able to put up a fight. How much, only time will tell. And possibly even have surpassed Red Bull.

I also wouldn't count out Kimi keeping Vettel very honest.

Right now, it looks like it could be a very interesting season.
                Well, I'm not quite eating crow, yet, but...

Looks like Mercedes is still fastest over one hot lap. But in race trim and longevity, it appears Ferrari is able to make their tires last better.

Vettel did get a bit lucky to win that race thanks to Max, but it was not an undeserved win.

The question is, can Ferrari still hope for things to work out just right in the race when they are always qualifying behind Mercedes and need to jump them in the pits?
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Read an article on racer re the new F1 cars and I agree the front wings are far too complicated for their own good. If that's the main cause for the lack of passing on track they should think about revising the rules a bit.

It's disconcerting that a car can be 2-3 seconds per lap quicker than the car in front of them but cannot pass for position.

Comment

Indy500 arrived in the mail from IMS. This is happening.

Grand Prix of Long Beach this weekend. Who do you guys like?
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Indy500 arrived in the mail from IMS. This is happening.

Grand Prix of Long Beach this weekend. Who do you guys like?
                      Dixon. I think Ganassi has revitalized Honda. That said, I'd rather see Kanaan, pigot, daly, hinchcliffe or castroneves win

Comment

I think Ganassi has revitalized Honda.
                        I agree with this. Still not sure if Dixon even has the full-time sponsor thing figured out. I assume he is doing another one-off week with the GE Lighting car this weekend. So strange.

Comment

Fernando Alonso skipping Monaco to race under Andretti at the Indy500.

Yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Fernando Alonso skipping Monaco to race under Andretti at the Indy500.

Yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Amazing!

This is huge for Indy as Mclaren isn't ruling out a factory team for the future as well.

I hope Lewis Hamilton races here someday as well.

Comment

Not sure if you guys saw how the whole thing developed and how Stefan Wilson was involved but my God what a kid Stefan Wilson is.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/13...-stefan-wilson

As someone that almost 100% won't be going in 2018 and was hoping to see Wilson race in 2017, I'm a bit bummed but really hope to meet him and especially have my son meet him.

Comment

Working...
                              X