Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Though not official, word is leaking out that Carlos Sainz is going to switch to Renault before the year is out. He will make the switch after Singapore in time for the Malaysian GP, replacing Palmer.

Pierre Gasly, the 2016 GP2 champion, will then move up to replace Sainz at Toro Rosso.

Apparently, these are all moves in preparation for Renault to supply McLaren next year and for Honda to hook up with Toro Rosso.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Though not official, word is leaking out that Carlos Sainz is going to switch to Renault before the year is out. He will make the switch after Singapore in time for the Malaysian GP, replacing Palmer.

Pierre Gasly, the 2016 GP2 champion, will then move up to replace Sainz at Toro Rosso.

Apparently, these are all moves in preparation for Renault to supply McLaren next year and for Honda to hook up with Toro Rosso.
      What would be crazy is if Honda comes back with a monster engine next year and smokes Renault and lands in the top 4-5 consistently.

Not likely, but they'll be looking to salvage their reputation now.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        What would be crazy is if Honda comes back with a monster engine next year and smokes Renault and lands in the top 4-5 consistently.

Not likely, but they'll be looking to salvage their reputation now.
        It won't happen... :-)
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Honda to hook up with Toro Rosso.
          Need educating... Knowing all I know is that the F1 Honda engine is beyond dogchit, why would they do this?
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Need educating... Knowing all I know is that the F1 Honda engine is beyond dogchit, why would they do this?
            Money. Remember that Red Bull wants to sell Toro Rosso. So any way they can save a lot of money is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Money. Remember that Red Bull wants to sell Toro Rosso. So any way they can save a lot of money is a good thing.
              This.

And, if by some miracle Honda actually gets their act together, then Red Bull can become the factory team for Honda, and they no longer have to rely on being a customer for Renault (which was of course McLaren's original plan for leaving Mercedes for Honda), who now has their own factory team.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Ganassi signed some guy named Hartley. never heard of him. Andretti signs Zach Veach, ugh. Really?? Over the other names out there? What about Brabham?

Casey Kahne is considering a partial INDYCAR program for next season...that could be fun. 18-time cup winner. I hope that happens.

The best news is Capenter signed Spencer Pigot for a full season ride. Hildebrand will be out (he was not all that racy anyway) and they'll be looking for a road and street course driver.

McLaren made the smart move short-term going with Renault but what team in F1 history has been successful as a second with an engine manufacturer. They'll play second fiddle all year to Ricciardo and Ver Stappen unless the main team is also switching to Honda which I've not heard.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Ganassi signed some guy named Hartley. never heard of him. Andretti signs Zach Veach, ugh. Really?? Over the other names out there? What about Brabham?
                  You need to pay attention to European junior series. :-) But, yeah, not the best pick in my mind. He really hasn't achieved much until he got into the WEC.

Same with Veach when you consider Brabham is out there.

I'm sure in both cases they are bringing some money with them.

Casey Kahne is considering a partial INDYCAR program for next season...that could be fun. 18-time cup winner. I hope that happens.
                  I'll believe it when I see it. Besides, what seats are available, especially on a part time basis?

McLaren made the smart move short-term going with Renault but what team in F1 history has been successful as a second with an engine manufacturer. They'll play second fiddle all year to Ricciardo and Ver Stappen unless the main team is also switching to Honda which I've not heard.
                  Which of course is why McLaren left Mercedes in the first place. One thing it will show us is just how good is the McLaren chassis, since we know the Red Bull chassis is pretty darn good.

Red Bull is not switching ... yet. If Honda should by some miracle finally produce a winning engine, then Red Bull is perfectly positioned to become their factory team. This is a perfect no risk opportunity for Red Bull having Honda use Toro Rosso as their test bed. And to some degree, it's a much better opportunity for Honda -- they won't be under the glare of being with a premiere team such as McLaren, so they can worry less about letdowns and just worry about getting it right and not worry about the press and saving face.
                  Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 09-14-2017, 08:57 AM.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    You need to pay attention to European junior series. :-) But, yeah, not the best pick in my mind. He really hasn't achieved much until he got into the WEC.

Same with Veach when you consider Brabham is out there.

I'm sure in both cases they are bringing some money with them.

I'll believe it when I see it. Besides, what seats are available, especially on a part time basis?

Which of course is why McLaren left Mercedes in the first place. One thing it will show us is just how good is the McLaren chassis, since we know the Red Bull chassis is pretty darn good.

Red Bull is not switching ... yet. If Honda should by some miracle finally produce a winning engine, then Red Bull is perfectly positioned to become their factory team. This is a perfect no risk opportunity for Red Bull having Honda use Toro Rosso as their test bed. And to some degree, it's a much better opportunity for Honda -- they won't be under the glare of being with a premiere team such as McLaren, so they can worry less about letdowns and just worry about getting it right and not worry about the press and saving face.
                    All good points. I'm very disappointed Matthew Brabham hasn't gotten a break while Marco Andretti is basically just riding around out there.

McLaren and Mercedes...good call. I think RB will have the edge with the chassis unless Newey once again lessens his involvement with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Because it runs better on gas than petrol?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's official now. The only difference to the rumors is that Sainz will start at Renault in 2018 not at Malaysia this year. They could not break Palmer's contract (which Jolyon alluded to yesterday). I think Palmer brought money to the deal, so that's probably why they could not just sack him.

No word on who will replace Sainz next year, but I'll be shocked if it's not Gasly. The Red Bull junior pipeline is really thin with talent right now. He's essentially all they got. (Which means we'll be stuck with Kvyat for another year...)

Interesting how they are still referring to the Sainz deal as being "loaned" to Renault even for 2018. So, Red Bull is still keeping him under contract.

[I just started streaming FP1 from Singapore. Holy cow, it's Bob Varsha!]

And they just announced Singapore signed a new four year deal to continue holding the race through 2021.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

McLaren made a big mistake dropping Honda now...http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144155-...owhere-to-hide

I feel bad for Alonso, if he stays in F1 he won't be fighting for wins.

Honda is going to roar back and be in podiums by year 3, 2019 if not by middle of next season.

Comment

And of course as soon as I say renault may be a mistake they take 2nd and 3rd in Singapore qualifying

Comment

McLaren made a big mistake dropping Honda now...http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144155-...owhere-to-hide

I feel bad for Alonso, if he stays in F1 he won't be fighting for wins.

Honda is going to roar back and be in podiums by year 3, 2019 if not by middle of next season.
                              Honda isn't going to do anything.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

So, Kvyat is out. Finally. Though, it looks like he's back for the USGP at the very least.

Let's see what Pierre Gasly can do.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X