Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Some interesting 2018 F1 news. http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20...ne-rights-2018

One should note that Liberty owns F1, and Comcast owns NBC, so this split should not be of any real shock.

Funny story- the year ESPN dropped F1 and it moved to SpeedVision started a multi year gap that I could not really follow F1.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Some interesting 2018 F1 news. http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20...ne-rights-2018

One should note that Liberty owns F1, and Comcast owns NBC, so this split should not be of any real shock.

Funny story- the year ESPN dropped F1 and it moved to SpeedVision started a multi year gap that I could not really follow F1.
      This is horrible. Just horrible.

I've written my thoughts a lot on other racing boards, like racer.com, so I won't repeat them here. But just look at the broadcast schedule released by ESPN. Just horrible.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I've written my thoughts a lot on other racing boards, like racer.com, so I won't repeat them here. But just look at the broadcast schedule released by ESPN. Just horrible.
        Aren't those times live? My hope is Bob Varsha resumes F1 commentary.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Why? Is it the lack of re-broadcasts of some of the races?

And it's been posted in other places that ESPN will just show the international feed, not having any US commentators, so the whole angst of who is going to talk- go see the Formula1 youtube page to hear what it's going to sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Why? Is it the lack of re-broadcasts of some of the races?

And it's been posted in other places that ESPN will just show the international feed, not having any US commentators, so the whole angst of who is going to talk- go see the Formula1 youtube page to hear what it's going to sound like.
            You guys are all missing the obvious -- no pre-race shows. At all. And I would bet no post-race shows, or a minimal amount. Then, what about qualifying? Just an hour, or will they have a post-qualifying half hour added on?

And we're talking ESPN, the network that pre-empted the race where Alain Prost was about to break the all-time career win record so they could show their precious SportsCenter. You know if any F1 race runs over, you can kiss the ending goodbye.

From what I read, this was essentially a deal given to ESPN for free (since Bratches used to work there) as a stopgap until Liberty gets their streaming service in the States up and running. So, if ESPN is not spending any money and has no future in this, what kind of investment will they be spending? Nothing. They will pick up the world feed, slap it on mostly ESPN2, and that's it. No special features. No American slant. No allowing races to go over their allotted time slot. No advertising. Not a single dollar spent on promoting or growing the sport. ESPN will treat the sport like absolute sh*t. At least NBC respected the sport and tried to grow the audience and put a lot of investment into it.

This is horrible for American F1 fans. Absolutely horrible.

P.S. Sean Bratches went to RIT. I kid you not. So, as usual, this is all RIT's fault!
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Fair enough.

I'll wait until they announce the whole thing before I panic, though. And it's not as if many of us lost coverage of F1 for a LONG time when ESPN dropped it. Over the long term, if I stop seeing F1, it means that the idea of us going to the Spanish GP followed by Monaco gets pretty small when we retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                You guys are all missing the obvious -- no pre-race shows. At all. And I would bet no post-race shows, or a minimal amount. Then, what about qualifying? Just an hour, or will they have a post-qualifying half hour added on?

And we're talking ESPN, the network that pre-empted the race where Alain Prost was about to break the all-time career win record so they could show their precious SportsCenter. You know if any F1 race runs over, you can kiss the ending goodbye.

From what I read, this was essentially a deal given to ESPN for free (since Bratches used to work there) as a stopgap until Liberty gets their streaming service in the States up and running. So, if ESPN is not spending any money and has no future in this, what kind of investment will they be spending? Nothing. They will pick up the world feed, slap it on mostly ESPN2, and that's it. No special features. No American slant. No allowing races to go over their allotted time slot. No advertising. Not a single dollar spent on promoting or growing the sport. ESPN will treat the sport like absolute sh*t. At least NBC respected the sport and tried to grow the audience and put a lot of investment into it.

This is horrible for American F1 fans. Absolutely horrible.

P.S. Sean Bratches went to RIT. I kid you not. So, as usual, this is all RIT's fault!
                Wow! This is a lot of gloom and doom. I'll wait until I see the product and details before condemning the change.

Comment

Turn out the lights the partie's over!

Hamilton!
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Hamilton!
                    Congratulations to Hamilton! Not official yet, but with 4 races left it will be difficult for Vettel to over take him. How arrogant of Vettel to leave the track without giving an interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      Congratulations to Hamilton! Not official yet, but with 4 races left it will be difficult for Vettel to over take him. How arrogant of Vettel to leave the track without giving an interview.
                      Agreed, I've always felt Vettel was arrogant. And now we'll have 2 4-time world champions in the grid for in 2018. Amazing.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Wow! This is a lot of gloom and doom. I'll wait until I see the product and details before condemning the change.
                        Condemn it now. It's going to be horrible. Mark my words.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Hamilton!
                          Have you ever seen a team choke as badly as Ferrari down the stretch? I think Arrivabene is done. Whether he should be or not will not matter. He'll be the scapegoat.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Hamilton!
                            Fun and games in Brazil.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1...razilian-gran/
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              And then the mayor of Sao Paolo comes out in defense and wonders why everyone is making such a big deal over this because this happens at many other tracks. Really? Name one, dimwit -- pickpockets are not the same as armed robbers. Not even Bahrain in the height of their political unrest was as dangerous.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Pirelli cancelled the tire test planned this week at Interlagos after their staff got held up at gunpoint.

Yeah Sao Paolo mayor, this happens at all the other tracks... Moron.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X