Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Money. Remember that Red Bull wants to sell Toro Rosso. So any way they can save a lot of money is a good thing.
    This.

And, if by some miracle Honda actually gets their act together, then Red Bull can become the factory team for Honda, and they no longer have to rely on being a customer for Renault (which was of course McLaren's original plan for leaving Mercedes for Honda), who now has their own factory team.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Ganassi signed some guy named Hartley. never heard of him. Andretti signs Zach Veach, ugh. Really?? Over the other names out there? What about Brabham?

Casey Kahne is considering a partial INDYCAR program for next season...that could be fun. 18-time cup winner. I hope that happens.

The best news is Capenter signed Spencer Pigot for a full season ride. Hildebrand will be out (he was not all that racy anyway) and they'll be looking for a road and street course driver.

McLaren made the smart move short-term going with Renault but what team in F1 history has been successful as a second with an engine manufacturer. They'll play second fiddle all year to Ricciardo and Ver Stappen unless the main team is also switching to Honda which I've not heard.

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Ganassi signed some guy named Hartley. never heard of him. Andretti signs Zach Veach, ugh. Really?? Over the other names out there? What about Brabham?
    You need to pay attention to European junior series. :-) But, yeah, not the best pick in my mind. He really hasn't achieved much until he got into the WEC.

Same with Veach when you consider Brabham is out there.

I'm sure in both cases they are bringing some money with them.

Casey Kahne is considering a partial INDYCAR program for next season...that could be fun. 18-time cup winner. I hope that happens.
    I'll believe it when I see it. Besides, what seats are available, especially on a part time basis?

McLaren made the smart move short-term going with Renault but what team in F1 history has been successful as a second with an engine manufacturer. They'll play second fiddle all year to Ricciardo and Ver Stappen unless the main team is also switching to Honda which I've not heard.
    Which of course is why McLaren left Mercedes in the first place. One thing it will show us is just how good is the McLaren chassis, since we know the Red Bull chassis is pretty darn good.

Red Bull is not switching ... yet. If Honda should by some miracle finally produce a winning engine, then Red Bull is perfectly positioned to become their factory team. This is a perfect no risk opportunity for Red Bull having Honda use Toro Rosso as their test bed. And to some degree, it's a much better opportunity for Honda -- they won't be under the glare of being with a premiere team such as McLaren, so they can worry less about letdowns and just worry about getting it right and not worry about the press and saving face.
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 09-14-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    Russell Jaslow

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    You need to pay attention to European junior series. :-) But, yeah, not the best pick in my mind. He really hasn't achieved much until he got into the WEC.

Same with Veach when you consider Brabham is out there.

I'm sure in both cases they are bringing some money with them.

I'll believe it when I see it. Besides, what seats are available, especially on a part time basis?

Which of course is why McLaren left Mercedes in the first place. One thing it will show us is just how good is the McLaren chassis, since we know the Red Bull chassis is pretty darn good.

Red Bull is not switching ... yet. If Honda should by some miracle finally produce a winning engine, then Red Bull is perfectly positioned to become their factory team. This is a perfect no risk opportunity for Red Bull having Honda use Toro Rosso as their test bed. And to some degree, it's a much better opportunity for Honda -- they won't be under the glare of being with a premiere team such as McLaren, so they can worry less about letdowns and just worry about getting it right and not worry about the press and saving face.
    All good points. I'm very disappointed Matthew Brabham hasn't gotten a break while Marco Andretti is basically just riding around out there.

McLaren and Mercedes...good call. I think RB will have the edge with the chassis unless Newey once again lessens his involvement with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Need educating... Knowing all I know is that the F1 Honda engine is beyond dogchit, why would they do this?
    Because it runs better on gas than petrol?

It's official now. The only difference to the rumors is that Sainz will start at Renault in 2018 not at Malaysia this year. They could not break Palmer's contract (which Jolyon alluded to yesterday). I think Palmer brought money to the deal, so that's probably why they could not just sack him.

No word on who will replace Sainz next year, but I'll be shocked if it's not Gasly. The Red Bull junior pipeline is really thin with talent right now. He's essentially all they got. (Which means we'll be stuck with Kvyat for another year...)

Interesting how they are still referring to the Sainz deal as being "loaned" to Renault even for 2018. So, Red Bull is still keeping him under contract.

[I just started streaming FP1 from Singapore. Holy cow, it's Bob Varsha!]

And they just announced Singapore signed a new four year deal to continue holding the race through 2021.
    Russell Jaslow

McLaren made a big mistake dropping Honda now...http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144155-...owhere-to-hide

I feel bad for Alonso, if he stays in F1 he won't be fighting for wins.

Honda is going to roar back and be in podiums by year 3, 2019 if not by middle of next season.

And of course as soon as I say renault may be a mistake they take 2nd and 3rd in Singapore qualifying

McLaren made a big mistake dropping Honda now...http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144155-...owhere-to-hide

I feel bad for Alonso, if he stays in F1 he won't be fighting for wins.

Honda is going to roar back and be in podiums by year 3, 2019 if not by middle of next season.
    Honda isn't going to do anything.
    Russell Jaslow

So, Kvyat is out. Finally. Though, it looks like he's back for the USGP at the very least.

Let's see what Pierre Gasly can do.
    Russell Jaslow

Just a boring user.

Some interesting 2018 F1 news. http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20...ne-rights-2018

One should note that Liberty owns F1, and Comcast owns NBC, so this split should not be of any real shock.

Funny story- the year ESPN dropped F1 and it moved to SpeedVision started a multi year gap that I could not really follow F1.

Some interesting 2018 F1 news. http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20...ne-rights-2018

One should note that Liberty owns F1, and Comcast owns NBC, so this split should not be of any real shock.

Funny story- the year ESPN dropped F1 and it moved to SpeedVision started a multi year gap that I could not really follow F1.
    This is horrible. Just horrible.

I've written my thoughts a lot on other racing boards, like racer.com, so I won't repeat them here. But just look at the broadcast schedule released by ESPN. Just horrible.
    Russell Jaslow

I've written my thoughts a lot on other racing boards, like racer.com, so I won't repeat them here. But just look at the broadcast schedule released by ESPN. Just horrible.
    Aren't those times live? My hope is Bob Varsha resumes F1 commentary.

Just a boring user.

Why? Is it the lack of re-broadcasts of some of the races?

And it's been posted in other places that ESPN will just show the international feed, not having any US commentators, so the whole angst of who is going to talk- go see the Formula1 youtube page to hear what it's going to sound like.

Why? Is it the lack of re-broadcasts of some of the races?

And it's been posted in other places that ESPN will just show the international feed, not having any US commentators, so the whole angst of who is going to talk- go see the Formula1 youtube page to hear what it's going to sound like.
    You guys are all missing the obvious -- no pre-race shows. At all. And I would bet no post-race shows, or a minimal amount. Then, what about qualifying? Just an hour, or will they have a post-qualifying half hour added on?

And we're talking ESPN, the network that pre-empted the race where Alain Prost was about to break the all-time career win record so they could show their precious SportsCenter. You know if any F1 race runs over, you can kiss the ending goodbye.

From what I read, this was essentially a deal given to ESPN for free (since Bratches used to work there) as a stopgap until Liberty gets their streaming service in the States up and running. So, if ESPN is not spending any money and has no future in this, what kind of investment will they be spending? Nothing. They will pick up the world feed, slap it on mostly ESPN2, and that's it. No special features. No American slant. No allowing races to go over their allotted time slot. No advertising. Not a single dollar spent on promoting or growing the sport. ESPN will treat the sport like absolute sh*t. At least NBC respected the sport and tried to grow the audience and put a lot of investment into it.

This is horrible for American F1 fans. Absolutely horrible.

P.S. Sean Bratches went to RIT. I kid you not. So, as usual, this is all RIT's fault!
    Russell Jaslow

Just a boring user.

Fair enough.

I'll wait until they announce the whole thing before I panic, though. And it's not as if many of us lost coverage of F1 for a LONG time when ESPN dropped it. Over the long term, if I stop seeing F1, it means that the idea of us going to the Spanish GP followed by Monaco gets pretty small when we retire.

You guys are all missing the obvious -- no pre-race shows. At all. And I would bet no post-race shows, or a minimal amount. Then, what about qualifying? Just an hour, or will they have a post-qualifying half hour added on?

And we're talking ESPN, the network that pre-empted the race where Alain Prost was about to break the all-time career win record so they could show their precious SportsCenter. You know if any F1 race runs over, you can kiss the ending goodbye.

From what I read, this was essentially a deal given to ESPN for free (since Bratches used to work there) as a stopgap until Liberty gets their streaming service in the States up and running. So, if ESPN is not spending any money and has no future in this, what kind of investment will they be spending? Nothing. They will pick up the world feed, slap it on mostly ESPN2, and that's it. No special features. No American slant. No allowing races to go over their allotted time slot. No advertising. Not a single dollar spent on promoting or growing the sport. ESPN will treat the sport like absolute sh*t. At least NBC respected the sport and tried to grow the audience and put a lot of investment into it.

This is horrible for American F1 fans. Absolutely horrible.

P.S. Sean Bratches went to RIT. I kid you not. So, as usual, this is all RIT's fault!
    Wow! This is a lot of gloom and doom. I'll wait until I see the product and details before condemning the change.

Turn out the lights the partie's over!

Hamilton!

Turn out the lights the partie's over!

Hamilton!
    Congratulations to Hamilton! Not official yet, but with 4 races left it will be difficult for Vettel to over take him. How arrogant of Vettel to leave the track without giving an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Congratulations to Hamilton! Not official yet, but with 4 races left it will be difficult for Vettel to over take him. How arrogant of Vettel to leave the track without giving an interview.
    Agreed, I've always felt Vettel was arrogant. And now we'll have 2 4-time world champions in the grid for in 2018. Amazing.

Thread Information