Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Bob Lobenberg. Now, there's a blast from the past... Darn good driver.

I started out racing a Crossle 35F, back when that was the chassis to have. Built like a tank (by FF standards), very predictable, great handling, easy adjustments, easy to repair. One of the best user friendly FFs ever designed. And fast ... until the Swifts came around. But then, the Swifts essentially obsoleted every other chassis out there.

Anyway, if you decide not to stick with your current chassis, consider the Crossle 35F (or 32F, but if you had a choice, go with the 35F). Won't cost you a ton. Good car to learn how to race in and enjoy yourself at the same time. And they will maintain a decent resale value. Heck, they are still competitive in the right hands in SCCA club racing as a CF.

The Swift is a good choice, too. But don't discount the Crossle 35F. Swifts may be a bit more expensive.

My racing partner (after FF, he and I bought a Sports Renault -- which eventually was called Spec Racer and then Spec Racer Ford -- and campaigned it together) ran a Royale FP41 (I think that's the proper model). That car was designed by Rory Byrne in his early days. It was fast and handled wonderfully, he told me. Best car he ever drove (and he also drove a Crossle 32F and 35F). However, I think they are more difficult to find and probably more expensive.

EDIT: After checking with my friend, he corrected me. It was a Royale RP24 he drove. Which makes sense since after researching Royale, I found out the RP41 was a designation used for a Can-Am chassis that was never built (D'uh!). There were a lot of RP24 Formula Fords built...

Also, while doing that research, I didn't realize that after Bryne left, Pat Symonds took over the design work for Royale.

EDIT2: Do NOT buy a Lola FF. There's a reason why people who have driven them sometimes have the "Lola limp." The foot box is not at all very strong.
    I ran a lola for a long time , I know what they're like.
    the Crossle's are good cars but vintage ford cars like that are significantly more than a nice swift or van Dieman or what have you from the late 80's. Titans are the most desirable, going for upper 20's and a real nice Zink fully sorted, with a good spare package is 15. There are a lot more cars to run with if you run the vintage classes.
    The number of historic races available is quite good and guys aren't so bent on winning in the first corner.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Video showing just how much faster a good Swift is than everyone else.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck4C4YvbJqE

I also want to add, the modern cars, Van Diemans, Swifts, Mygale's, Pipers, all corner at more than 2 G's.It allows them to carry tremendous momentum.
      Last edited by manurespreader; 03-08-2018, 10:12 AM.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
      X