Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2017, more wings and tires

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Question: why does A.J. Foyt constantly **** talk Mario Andretti? He can't even talk about Gurney without taking a shot at Mario.

He sounds like a redneck fool. He's lucky Mario spent several years pursuing F1 or he'd be looking up the all-time wins list at M. Andretti.
    They have always feuded. Go find A.J.'s autobiography which was written a few decades ago. He trashes Mario all over the place there.

It has to do with A.J.'s perception of Mario being from the "wine and cheese" side of racing. Never mind Mario cut his teeth on the dirt tracks of PA and NY.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      They have always feuded. Go find A.J.'s autobiography which was written a few decades ago. He trashes Mario all over the place there.

It has to do with A.J.'s perception of Mario being from the "wine and cheese" side of racing. Never mind Mario cut his teeth on the dirt tracks of PA and NY.
      I love them both. I just love Mario a bit more.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

If you grew up around NYC, you heard the commercials. Now Raceway Park in Englishtown is ending NHRA races.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...cing_ends.html

Hey! It's open wheel. They just don't turn.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146967-...r-f1-now-brown

I agree, Newgarden and Dixon given Hamilton's equipment would b competitive right away.

I also love Brown's comments on racers attempting other series.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146967-...r-f1-now-brown

I agree, Newgarden and Dixon given Hamilton's equipment would b competitive right away.

I also love Brown's comments on racers attempting other series.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Pietro Fittipaldi tested with Coyne's team. How good is this kid?

Looks like he got a later start in racing?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                Pietro Fittipaldi tested with Coyne's team. How good is this kid?

Looks like he got a later start in racing?
                It's tough to say.

He dominated the World Series V8, but that was a nothing of a series last year. So much so, it went defunct as soon as the season was over. The competition was greatly lacking.

However, I listen to a F1 podcast regularly, and one of the hosts is a big time driver instructor/coach who has worked for various programs designed to find young talent, and he raves about Pietro.

So, until he starts competing in a respected series, we won't know.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

An interesting piece in the BBC.
                  http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42862496
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Looks like F1 will be more competitive and more fun to watch this year than it has been for a while.

I am also getting back into single seat racing. I'll post some pictures as time goes by, but i'm getting ready to restore a 1972 Titan Mk6 to use in vintage racing. Right now it's a total basket case.... and it's a slider. So might take a while to get going again.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      Looks like F1 will be more competitive and more fun to watch this year than it has been for a while.

I am also getting back into single seat racing. I'll post some pictures as time goes by, but i'm getting ready to restore a 1972 Titan Mk6 to use in vintage racing. Right now it's a total basket case.... and it's a slider. So might take a while to get going again.
                      So much for you buying my Alfa GTV racer to go vintage racing in... (I wish I knew- I would have suggested it years ago).

Comment

Once it stops snowing in Europe... LOL

Which groups do you plan on running with?
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          Once it stops snowing in Europe... LOL

Which groups do you plan on running with?
                          well that's a good question. FF or CF. This car is one that's pretty unique. it's not quite a one off, but somewhat close only 3 cars ever made though one won the pacific coast championship with Bob Lobenberg in 1980 or 81. So the tentative plan is to rebuild it, which will take a year, get a good motor in it, and a gearbox, and get it set up. The fly in the ointment is the resale value. The market for a car like that, fast or not, has to be pretty slim. After that an '81 swift is a good possibility as they are very reasonable. The other thing is, I'm not getting any younger. I want to get a car, race it for four or five years and stop.

otherwise the Mosport Historics , the Vintage races at Mid Ohio and maybe something at IRP or lucas oil or whatever it is now. Plus I like Blackhawk so there.
                          First order of business though is get the paint off this frame and check all the welds and I've got to decide if this car has any marketability. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and have nothing at the end.
                          Last edited by manurespreader; 03-01-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

well that's a good question. FF or CF. This car is one that's pretty unique. it's not quite a one off, but somewhat close only 3 cars ever made though one won the pacific coast championship with Bob Lobenberg in 1980 or 81. So the tentative plan is to rebuild it, which will take a year, get a good motor in it, and a gearbox, and get it set up. The fly in the ointment is the resale value. The market for a car like that, fast or not, has to be pretty slim. After that an '81 swift is a good possibility as they are very reasonable. The other thing is, I'm not getting any younger. I want to get a car, race it for four or five years and stop.

otherwise the Mosport Historics , the Vintage races at Mid Ohio and maybe something at IRP or lucas oil or whatever it is now. Plus I like Blackhawk so there.
                            First order of business though is get the paint off this frame and check all the welds and I've got to decide if this car has any marketability. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and have nothing at the end.
                            Classic Motorsports seems to do a lot of oddball cars, which have not so much value, except in the context of history. Unique cars are interesting- even if they are very successful, because so few laid their eyes on them, they are rarely popular to be a great "investment". But you get to drive a cool piece of history.

BTW, as you age, remember how nice a roof over your head is...

Comment

Hopefully the others don't mind me saying this but.. keep us up to date on this stuff. I find it interesting even though I have no clue.

Hey guys, St Pete starts the Indycar season next weekend! Should be interesting to see the new IR18 car in action. Going to just assume Penske will win this one.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Bob Lobenberg. Now, there's a blast from the past... Darn good driver.

I started out racing a Crossle 35F, back when that was the chassis to have. Built like a tank (by FF standards), very predictable, great handling, easy adjustments, easy to repair. One of the best user friendly FFs ever designed. And fast ... until the Swifts came around. But then, the Swifts essentially obsoleted every other chassis out there.

Anyway, if you decide not to stick with your current chassis, consider the Crossle 35F (or 32F, but if you had a choice, go with the 35F). Won't cost you a ton. Good car to learn how to race in and enjoy yourself at the same time. And they will maintain a decent resale value. Heck, they are still competitive in the right hands in SCCA club racing as a CF.

The Swift is a good choice, too. But don't discount the Crossle 35F. Swifts may be a bit more expensive.

My racing partner (after FF, he and I bought a Sports Renault -- which eventually was called Spec Racer and then Spec Racer Ford -- and campaigned it together) ran a Royale FP41 (I think that's the proper model). That car was designed by Rory Byrne in his early days. It was fast and handled wonderfully, he told me. Best car he ever drove (and he also drove a Crossle 32F and 35F). However, I think they are more difficult to find and probably more expensive.

EDIT: After checking with my friend, he corrected me. It was a Royale RP24 he drove. Which makes sense since after researching Royale, I found out the RP41 was a designation used for a Can-Am chassis that was never built (D'uh!). There were a lot of RP24 Formula Fords built...

Also, while doing that research, I didn't realize that after Bryne left, Pat Symonds took over the design work for Royale.

EDIT2: Do NOT buy a Lola FF. There's a reason why people who have driven them sometimes have the "Lola limp." The foot box is not at all very strong.
                                Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-02-2018, 03:00 PM.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X