Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 GRaNT Computer Rankings

Rounding off:
    Wisconsin 4, Robert Morris 1 (I don't think it will be this close)
    Boston College 2, St. Lawrence 2 (to be decided in overtime?)
    Clarkson 3, Cornell 2 (not taking into account the Big Red's 2nd leading scorer is out)
    Minnesota-Duluth 3, Minnesota 2 (OK, 2.5 to 2.3 - we've got a shot!)
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Boston College 2, St. Lawrence 2 (to be decided in overtime?)
      Oh God nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Oh, one other thing -- we can debate whether a 4-3 win is better than a 6-4 win or whatever you want, but the theory behind using this methodology is to reward teams a team that wins 4-0 or 5-1 or some other big win, and determine that team to be better than another team who might have the same win/loss result, but might win a 2-1 or 3-2 close one.

I'm not saying this is better than KRACH or CHODR or any other methodology out there (except for PWR and RPI, those are stupid), just that it's another methodology to go alongside them, depending on what level of the results (i.e. wins/losses, goals, or even shots) you want to analyze. I'm still the world's biggest KRACH addict -- which is why I'm so excited about my system, because the theory behind the calculation is very similar, it's just using a different level of game results.
        Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 03-07-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            Bump
            I did send an email requesting Spam removal. In the meantime, thanks for moving actual topics to the front.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I did send an email requesting Spam removal. In the meantime, thanks for moving actual topics to the front.
              Cheers! Noticed someone did it in the men's forum and figured it would take less time to do it in here

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Oh, one other thing -- we can debate whether a 4-3 win is better than a 6-4 win or whatever you want, but the theory behind using this methodology is to reward teams a team that wins 4-0 or 5-1 or some other big win, and determine that team to be better than another team who might have the same win/loss result, but might win a 2-1 or 3-2 close one.

I'm not saying this is better than KRACH or CHODR or any other methodology out there (except for PWR and RPI, those are stupid), just that it's another methodology to go alongside them, depending on what level of the results (i.e. wins/losses, goals, or even shots) you want to analyze. I'm still the world's biggest KRACH addict -- which is why I'm so excited about my system, because the theory behind the calculation is very similar, it's just using a different level of game results.
                I think all the work you have done is amazing. One other thought though, right now there is no incentive for teams to try and score as many goals as possible in order to get as high a ranking as possible. I would be afraid that implementing this type of scoring system would lead to teams “running up” the score. Just sayin.

And I am having all kinds of issues typing responses on the USCHO threads. I type a letter and then the next letter I want to type I have to position my mouse to the right of the previous letter, left click the mouse button so now I type the next letter and so on and so on.
                To type this response I had to do it in Word and then copy this to the USCHO thread.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  I think all the work you have done is amazing. One other thought though, right now there is no incentive for teams to try and score as many goals as possible in order to get as high a ranking as possible. I would be afraid that implementing this type of scoring system would lead to teams “running up” the score. Just sayin.
                  No you're definitely right, I agree. I don't think any rating system should be actually implemented for a purpose (i.e. to select the tournament) if it involves margin of victory because it does incentivize blowouts. But, tools that do (such as some of the versions of Jeff Sagarin's ratings, and GRaNT) can definitely be useful as an unofficial means of trying to determine which teams are better than others.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    I have sent messages 2 or 3 times so it is nice to know others have too. Now if it just appeared as if anyone at USCHO gave a rip . . .

Comment

Working...
                    X