• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge #190: Springing Forward

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    s'upp y'all

congrats on your win friday sfis!!
    Thanks Mookie! It's always fun to beat Denver!
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
      Going through the parent stuff by proxy. Mom's mom is doing poorly and had a terrible respiratory issue on Sunday. Crying, she told my mom she didn't want to go back to the hospital. Mom said okay, but my uncle called 911 behind their backs. At the hospital he was trying to override her DNR/DNI. Thank goodness the ED doc straightened him out and that my mom was there to advocate for my grandmother. Now my uncle is telling the other 4 siblings that my mom is trying to kill my grandmother. Mom is devastated. All very ugly.
      That is no fun. We have the opposite- I have reams of paperwork stating wishes and I am not even the proxy. the papers are sent to anyone who may ever be on the medical team, relatives, friends.

Comment

Good Morning Lodge!

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          That is no fun. We have the opposite- I have reams of paperwork stating wishes and I am not even the proxy. the papers are sent to anyone who may ever be on the medical team, relatives, friends.
          Mom is HCP, has the paperwork. Advanced directive is in place, but 2 of the siblings think they know best (my least favorites of my mom's siblings even before all this). The whole situation sucks (plus my grandmother is still completely with it, so the whole situation is just frustrating)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
            I hope that's not true when we get old. That may or may not have been one of the reasons we had so many kids.
            It's always going to be the one that's there the most... others will find ways not to make it their burden. On the other hand, executive decisions are best made in solitary situations.

I think the key thing is delineating CLEARLY who has power of attorney and who has the health proxy (even if this is the same person). They don't have to lie it, it just has to be known.

People will fight regardless.

---

I already am not looking forward to my parents issues because I live far away and my sister will have to deal with it... and she's been a right proper sufferable jerk that I expect hell from her because of incapability to help from a distance. Oh well
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Haven't even thought about this stuff yet, and reading all this terrifies me.

My sister is close to home, but has a tough nursing job and a husband and two daughters that are more than a handful.

I'm single and pretty stable, but I'm also 1500 miles away from home and I'm about as ready to start a family as I am to fly to Jupiter. If my folks go, or something happens to my sister/her husband and my nieces...my head might pull a Scanners.
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                Mom is HCP, has the paperwork. Advanced directive is in place, but 2 of the siblings think they know best (my least favorites of my mom's siblings even before all this). The whole situation sucks (plus my grandmother is still completely with it, so the whole situation is just frustrating)
                Family can sometimes be royal jerks.
                Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                Haven't even thought about this stuff yet, and reading all this terrifies me.

My sister is close to home, but has a tough nursing job and a husband and two daughters that are more than a handful.

I'm single and pretty stable, but I'm also 1500 miles away from home and I'm about as ready to start a family as I am to fly to Jupiter. If my folks go, or something happens to my sister/her husband and my nieces...my head might pull a Scanners.
                I read this as you were ready to start a family. Did a double take, freaked out, read again and realized I hadn't missed something.
                Last edited by leswp1; 03-21-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I worry because my folks are 67 and 64. I don't think they have directives or wills in place. I don't think they have final wishes written down either.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Folks are both 63 and doing pretty good. Dad's retirement took a big hit in the '08 recession just as he was retiring. He's mostly recovered and he works part-time to make a few extra bucks - it's a bonus, once he's had enough, he's outta there. Eventual plans are to sell their house I grew up in, retire somewhere, and have us do an estate auction if/when they kick it. There's a will, and after the estate auction it'd be mostly bank assets I'd suspect. I'd guess the lion's share would go to my sister and her husband because she's closer and has kiddos.

Biggest problem with them kicking it unexpectedly is their student loans in my name pass to me, but I could survive it and I'd inherit some assets to cover it (I hope ) I've actually made overtures toward paying theirs off at some point if I'm secure enough, and would be happy to do so.

Haven't really discussed EOL care with them, but my dad's a pretty no-nonsense guy and would be the type to bow out gracefully once he becomes a burden. I'd think my sister and husband would do the brunt of the legwork, but I could help financially if needed.

As ****-heelish as this sounds...the real nightmare scenario is something happens to my sister and/or her husband, and my two nieces land in my lap. That's a thermonuclear strike. Doubly so if I stay single. I love 'em, but that would lead to abject financial, mental, and physical ruination for me. (I'm listed as their godfather, but in a contemporary Lutheran "just write a name in the blank so we can get on with the ceremony" sense.)
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Had this talk with my parents last year. It wasn't comfortable, obviously. Who wants to talk about that stuff? I'm the executor (or whatever the term is). Our family is very traditional, the responsibility always fell to the eldest. Thankfully, my brother and I more than get along, and no bad apples in the family when it comes to this kind of stuff. Chances are, when it comes to the house and all that, he knows more about it than I do, and we'll work together, although it'll be my name on any documents, if my understanding is correct. The inheritance/money stuff is really clear cut.

As for the house, that's the only question mark, and unless something odd happens, we're going to sell it off. He has his house, and I don't want a house. While we'd both miss it (it was our childhood home), we have our own homes now, you know?

Edit: as for health stuff, my parents want to let nature take its course. If they can be saved, sure, but no veggie status.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We 'talk' about the most eclectic subjects in here.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          We 'talk' about the most eclectic subjects in here.
                          One big happy family

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            One big dysfunctional happy family
                            Just sayin'.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Lutherans have god parents? I thought that was just one of those goofy catholic things.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Lutherans have god parents? I thought that was just one of those goofy catholic things.
                                I dunno. I'm a godparent to melmac's kids. Yeah, if that doesn't scare you, dunno what will.

Comment

Working...
                                X