Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CWHL - The Best Kept Secret in Women's Hockey

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    CWHL just announced that Kunlun Red Star as their newest member.
    A Chinese team joining the CWHL - somebody has a hell of a travel budget.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      The team is going to be based somewhere in the U.S. during the season. Between this and the fact that they just signed Noora Raty and Kelli Stack, I'm curious to find out just how "Chinese" they'll really be. Odd, given that the stated purpose is to get a Chinese team ready for the 2022 Olympics.

Edit: Apparently, I'm wrong about this. The article I read at The Ice Garden implied that they would be playing in North America, but everywhere else is saying that it will in Shenzhen, with the other teams traveling there to play 3 game series. I would presume that the Chinese government is picking up the travel expenses.
      Last edited by Eeyore; 06-06-2017, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
        The team is going to be based somewhere in the U.S. during the season. Between this and the fact that they just signed Noora Raty and Kelli Stack, I'm curious to find out just how "Chinese" they'll really be. Odd, given that the stated purpose is to get a Chinese team ready for the 2022 Olympics.

Edit: Apparently, I'm wrong about this. The article I read at The Ice Garden implied that they would be playing in North America, but everywhere else is saying that it will in Shenzhen, with the other teams traveling there to play 3 game series. I would presume that the Chinese government is picking up the travel expenses.
        And people thought placing an NFL team in London would be too much of a logistical nightmare... LOL
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

see, it isn't only Blackbeard who is betting on the Chineze conquering the world, in addition to selling them their trees, tin, Canola oil, and water, they are planning for the eventuality of the demise of the US and are beginning to move their hockey teams there.
          Eventually the Canucks will be rickshaw drivers for the Chineze.
          Last edited by pokechecker; 06-06-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
            Freakin' Commies. Wait til their players are all juiced up like the East Germans and Bulgarians.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

CBC agrees: http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/hockey/cw...join-1.4147421
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

"I thought it would be a totally different experience," [Kelli] Stack said of why she will make the move to China.
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I'm guessing she majored in Understatementology at Boston College.

Comment

That is really no different than the likes of Pele, Cruijff and Beckenbauer coming over to NA to play Football (As we call it accross the pond) to sell that game to the NA crowd. Well 20-30 years later the USA has improved leaps and bounds in Soccer as an indirect result of that. (There are other factors, but that was really the first impulse into the growth of the game in NA).

Secondly find it sad that there is two leagues CWHL and NWHL operating separately in what is already a niche market that can barely support one league. Looks like both leagues "JUMP" when an investor flashes money, but I'm not so sure that model is really sustainable in the long run without making sure you build a proper base/support structure.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                    That is really no different than the likes of Pele, Cruijff and Beckenbauer coming over to NA to play Football (As we call it accross the pond) to sell that game to the NA crowd. Well 20-30 years later the USA has improved leaps and bounds in Soccer as an indirect result of that. (There are other factors, but that was really the first impulse into the growth of the game in NA).
                    Long term, sure. But the stated reason is to prepare a Chinese team for the 2022 Olympics. That's a completely different time frame and has nothing to do with building a long term fan base.

Comment

Long term, sure. But the stated reason is to prepare a Chinese team for the 2022 Olympics. That's a completely different time frame and has nothing to do with building a long term fan base.
                      Correct. You are just re-enforcing the main point I was trying to convey in the second para of my post:
                      Looks like both leagues "JUMP" when an investor flashes money, but I'm not so sure that model is really sustainable in the long run without making sure you build a proper base/support structure

Comment

Working...
                      X