Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1001

Thread: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

  1. #161
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    17,345

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    I like to imagine that SNL has some sort of "Number of Episodes Since Leslie Jones Messed Up a Line" counter backstage.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  2. #162

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    54,293

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    I like to imagine that SNL has some sort of "Number of Episodes Since Leslie Jones Messed Up a Line" counter backstage.
    Is the joke that it's just a zero painted on the back wall?
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  3. #163
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    17,345

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Is the joke that it's just a zero painted on the back wall?
    They might need the occasional "1" or "2" poster, but I don't think they've had to splurge for a "3" yet.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    54,293

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Hadn't seen this. Holy crap.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  5. #165
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    6,637

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    I like to imagine that SNL has some sort of "Number of Episodes Since Leslie Jones Messed Up a Line" counter backstage.
    I found the court room skit from last weekend funny because they spent five minutes pushing the same joke and then flopped the punchline because the graphic was a second late and threw off the timing.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7


    Go State! Beat Penn State
    7-5-0 (1-3-0-0, t-6th B1G)


    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  6. #166
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,550

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Nobody's really talked about it here, and I've not yet seen one of the new episodes, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 returned via Netflix. Again, I've not seen it, but letting others know who might be interested.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  7. #167

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    I know I'm years late to the game, but I started Season 1 of Game of Thrones today. Binged the first 6 episodes. I'm enjoying it so far...

  8. #168
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,719

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Nobody's really talked about it here, and I've not yet seen one of the new episodes, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 returned via Netflix. Again, I've not seen it, but letting others know who might be interested.
    The Get Down S2 was also unleashed this past Fri. Loved the first season, looking forward to the next.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  9. #169
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,550

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I know I'm years late to the game, but I started Season 1 of Game of Thrones today. Binged the first 6 episodes. I'm enjoying it so far...
    There will be a couple slow parts as the series progresses after season 1, but they're really building towards something YUUUUGE that happens later in that same season. I think there's only been one season thus far that people have complained about for having a slow pace, but a slow pace is hardly the same as nothing's happening. Despite all of its detractors saying that the show is all nudity an violence, there's a lot to consider if you really want to follow the story. Little things can have significant meaning.

    This is coming from a guy who stopped reading the books at the end of #3, because the books just don't compare to the show, IMO.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  10. #170

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    There will be a couple slow parts as the series progresses after season 1, but they're really building towards something YUUUUGE that happens later in that same season. I think there's only been one season thus far that people have complained about for having a slow pace, but a slow pace is hardly the same as nothing's happening. Despite all of its detractors saying that the show is all nudity an violence, there's a lot to consider if you really want to follow the story. Little things can have significant meaning.

    This is coming from a guy who stopped reading the books at the end of #3, because the books just don't compare to the show, IMO.
    I'm watching the show because I read books 1-4 and I just can't do it anymore. I'm interested in the characters, but Martin's pacing is so ridiculous that after reading Book 4, I actually stopped reading for a year. I didn't think the nudity/violence was terrible. I mean, the blood is a little ridiculous, but it's hardly gore-porn

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    5,990

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    There will be a couple slow parts as the series progresses after season 1, but they're really building towards something YUUUUGE that happens later in that same season. I think there's only been one season thus far that people have complained about for having a slow pace, but a slow pace is hardly the same as nothing's happening. Despite all of its detractors saying that the show is all nudity an violence, there's a lot to consider if you really want to follow the story. Little things can have significant meaning.

    This is coming from a guy who stopped reading the books at the end of #3, because the books just don't compare to the show, IMO.
    It's kind of funny, but the pace of the series, at times, has been my only real criticism. There are so many story lines, and so many characters. I joked with a friend of mine that sometimes it seems like a season begins and a character is traveling from point A to point B, then the season ends and still seems like that character is traveling from point A to point B.

    It hasn't necessarily been my all-time favorite show, but like some of my other favorites I do like shows with big character arcs where you find yourself rooting for or against certain characters while remembering bad or good things they did in the past, and even changing your allegiances. GoT has that ability.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  12. #172
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,550

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I'm watching the show because I read books 1-4 and I just can't do it anymore. I'm interested in the characters, but Martin's pacing is so ridiculous that after reading Book 4, I actually stopped reading for a year. I didn't think the nudity/violence was terrible. I mean, the blood is a little ridiculous, but it's hardly gore-porn
    Yeah, the books just meander too much. I like detail in a story, which is one of those great pleasures you get so much more of when reading rather than watching TV or a movie. However, Martin goes on and on about so many minutiae regarding the appearance of the room that it bogs down the story.

    I quite the books right after the chapter where Lady Stoneheart makes her appearance. At first the idea the of the character intrigued me, but then I realized that I just didn't care. The TV show gives what I loved from the books and has removed the tedious nature of Martin's writing style.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  13. #173

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I quite the books right after the chapter where Lady Stoneheart makes her appearance. At first the idea the of the character intrigued me, but then I realized that I just didn't care. The TV show gives what I loved from the books and has removed the tedious nature of Martin's writing style.
    Good to hear, this is exactly what I'm hoping for.

  14. #174
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,719

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Better Call Saul's premiere.....yes please. And to be honest, Mike's backstory is just as intriguing as Jimmy's/Saul's, IMO.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #175

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    54,293

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Nobody's really talked about it here, and I've not yet seen one of the new episodes, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 returned via Netflix. Again, I've not seen it, but letting others know who might be interested.
    I know about it but I am worried it will suck, so I am staying away for now.

    Some things are an organic product of their time and place. The original MST3K would never have been the same without all the hayseed Minny references. Maybe the new series will be OK, but the old series had started to suck by the time Pearl became a main character, so, well, I worry.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  16. #176
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    18,993

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I know about it but I am worried it will suck, so I am staying away for now.

    Some things are an organic product of their time and place. The original MST3K would never have been the same without all the hayseed Minny references. Maybe the new series will be OK, but the old series had started to suck by the time Pearl became a main character, so, well, I worry.
    Once Trace Beaulieu left the original, it just wasn't the same. It survived ok with Mike taking Joel's place, but without him as the voice of Crow, it was over. Bill Corbett just didn't cut it.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

  17. #177

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    54,293

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Once Trace Beaulieu left the original, it just wasn't the same. It survived ok with Mike taking Joel's place, but without him as the voice of Crow, it was over. Bill Corbett just didn't cut it.
    That's a bit harsh, I liked Corbett's work, it was just that Beaulieu was insanely talented.

    I had a lot of trepidation when Joel left too, and Mike was outstanding. I actually prefer Mike's interaction with the bots, although the writing isn't quite as a good.

    Who is the new test subject in the new series?

    Edit: I LMGTFYed myself. OK, I'll give it a shot.

    Edit edit. Joel's lookin' real old, but he sounds exactly the same.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-12-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  18. #178
    International Spy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    3,431

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Better Call Saul's premiere.....yes please. And to be honest, Mike's backstory is just as intriguing as Jimmy's/Saul's, IMO.
    Yes but I do hate it when they jump right in after long breaks. I needed to read up on what happened at the end of last season to remember what was going on.

  19. #179
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,752

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Good to hear, this is exactly what I'm hoping for.
    Lady Stoneheart is still coming back! I still believe!
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  20. #180
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,021

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    YES! ALL OF IT! YOU FOX-EARED AS_HoLE!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •