Lucia Apologist

Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

Holy ****.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

This week's episode of The Americans might have been one of the most subtle and subdued episodes for quite some time, but almost one of my favorites and really showcases why this is such a powerful series. Moral dilemmas, plot twists, sex as a means to an end, great dialogue and then some. I am still completely hooked and can't wait to see where this season goes next.

lubba wubba dub dub

Is this the last season for The Americans or is there one more? I know they announced an end, so as to not dilute the quality.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Is this the last season for The Americans or is there one more? I know they announced an end, so as to not dilute the quality.
    iirc there will be 1 more.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

So just started watching the new Prison Break. Maybe it will explain more during the show, but for now, it appears as if seasons 2-4 of the original series never took place. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    This week's episode of The Americans might have been one of the most subtle and subdued episodes for quite some time, but almost one of my favorites and really showcases why this is such a powerful series. Moral dilemmas, plot twists, sex as a means to an end, great dialogue and then some. I am still completely hooked and can't wait to see where this season goes next.
    Ditto. I still love how a mistranslation of sorts changes the game completely. The previous one that was really shown to be a powerful one was the Reagan shooting. USSR was thinking "military takeover" when they saw the general on tv. Now THIS little twist in one of the main arcs of the season? Brilliant.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

lubba wubba dub dub

Rick & Morty. It's on Hulu, and if you're not anti-animation, this is great for adult entertainment. The relatively crude style of the animation may keep some people from enjoying it, and it's completely juvenile at times, but really smart too. They do a lot of send-ups of science fiction movies, the main characters are based upon Back to the Future, and the absurd relationship between Doc Brown and Marty.

They've only released two seasons so far, though the third season is in production it's been a long, long time coming. The creators didn't want to rush out the next season just to meet a timeline, and instead are trying for quality of story. Don't be surprised if it only lasts through season 3 or 4 because of that.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

International Spy

Haven't seen this weeks Designated Survivor yet, but thinking back to last week I wonder... the First Lady said her mother was Russian. I wonder if she (her mother or even herself) will eventually work herself into the show being part of the conspiracy.

Last night on Jeopardy!, a contestant whiffed on an obvious question about dinosaurs, and lost everything.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/jeo...ium=socialflow
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

lucky penguin

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Last night on Jeopardy!, a contestant whiffed on an obvious question about dinosaurs, and lost everything.

Eh, I didn't think missing that question was point-and-laugh bad. Plus, the Raptors don't even use the dinosaur as their primary logo anymore.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

I've apparently taken more breaks of watching Survivor than I realized. I have no idea who Sandra is and she's won twice? She seem's like a female version of Russell but with titles to her name.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I've apparently taken more breaks of watching Survivor than I realized. I have no idea who Sandra is and she's won twice? She seem's like a female version of Russell but with titles to her name.
    Sandra is my least favorite winner in Survivor history. The first time she won she did nothing. She was under the radar the whole time because she did no planning and was completely average in every way. I believe her only spoken line in the season was her endlessly repeating "as long as it isn't me" about votes. IINM she never got a vote, possibly because none of the other players were aware of her existence.

Then there was an all-stars season and she tried to play it off that she was some sort of a super genius double secret ninja for being so elusive. In reality, she had just lucked out. Well, "first as tragedy, then as farce," she won again, this time because the other players all had hardcore strategies that were entertaining, and which eventually all collided and mutually imploded and a split jury dragged her catatonic as-s over the finish line again.

This time she's portraying herself as some sort of super villain and I'm just so over her. Insufferable. Kill it with fire.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Generic Catchy Message

Watched the Texas show of Chappelle on Netflix. Not as good as the LA show, but still great.

Also watched the new Louis CK: 2017. Seemed hit or miss compared to past years. Maybe it was the suit that threw me off, but it's Louis so it was still strong, just a little weak by Louis standards. The silent nod to Carlin to start the show was very cool, too.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

I saw Chappelle in Minneapolis... dude is amazing. Also saw Louis in the tour leading up to this special and it was better than the special was but many if the same jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I saw Chappelle in Minneapolis... dude is amazing. Also saw Louis in the tour leading up to this special and it was better than the special was but many if the same jokes.
    Usually comics test out bits before a big special. Hence the same jokes you probably saw. Haven't seen the new Louis one, but have it queued up on Netflix.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

TBF, that's not even that terrible a Jeopardy f-ck-up. The career Navy officer who f-cked up the question about the founding of the Navy was way worse, especially considering the sh-t he's going to take for the rest of his career.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Usually comics test out bits before a big special. Hence the same jokes you probably saw. Haven't seen the new Louis one, but have it queued up on Netflix.
    Yes I know that is the point of touring

In almost every case it was better when I saw it live as opposed to on the special. "Of Course, but Maybe" from a few specials ago had us flipping dying in the aisles when we saw him at the Convention Center
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Yes I know that is the point of touring

In almost every case it was better when I saw it live as opposed to on the special. "Of Course, but Maybe" from a few specials ago had us flipping dying in the aisles when we saw him at the Convention Center
    Some do not realize that. Figured you did, but just making sure.

So watched the 2 Chappelle specials on Netflix...

the first one, he's funny. Classic Chappelle. The second one.....wow. He is off the charts insanely funny. I was in tears for half the show, I was laughing so hard. Highly (no pun intended) recommend them both, but that second show......JFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    A few years back, a few comedians on Opie and Anthony were talking about filming specials, and they said they can work on material for a year before filming. They'll keep fine tuning the set, working on joked, timing, and order.

The consensus was that once the special is released, they throw out a good portion of the set and start new, building up a new set. They said it's tough to keep doing the same material after the special because everyone has seen their bits, knows what's coming and it doesn't have the same magic.

Thread Information