This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

The season finale of Veep sure felt like they were allowing for the possibility of it being the show finale. Since it's fine in the ratings and getting solid reviews, perhaps this means JLD is bored. Her performance is wonderful but I think we've seen everything it can sustain now.

As much as I love the show I'd be happy if they left it where it is, with everybody recycled back (except poor Mike), and with Selena condemned to be forever rolling that boulder up the hill.

But I would kill for a spin-off centered on Congressman Roger Furlong.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-28-2017, 07:57 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Rick and Morty is (are?) back on July 30th!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        I have to start from the beginning. How many seasons do I need to get through?
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I have to start from the beginning. How many seasons do I need to get through?
          Just 2, and one episode of season 3. It'll be worth it.

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            I have to wait for season 3 to show up on Hulu. Seasons 1 & 2 were great!
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Finally got around to watching Fargo.

In season 1 right now and Billy Bob is a whole lot of fun.

Haven't seen the movie in many years so I didn't pick up the tie in. Wife caught it though.

Fun watch for sure.

Comment

GLOW on Netflix was awesome
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I believe I have just stumbled on to evidence supporting a WestWorld theory. Season 1 Spoiler:

OK, I do not see a reference to this so perhaps I am insane or senile. I could have sworn that during S.1 Ford whispers to Dolores Feste's line "journeys end in lovers meeting," from Twelfth Night, II.3:

O Mistress mine, where are you roaming?
                  O stay and hear! your true-love’s coming
                  That can sing both high and low;
                  Trip no further, pretty sweeting,
                  Journeys end in lovers’ meeting—
                  Every wise man’s son doth know.

What is love? ’tis not hereafter;
                  Present mirth hath present laughter;
                  What’s to come is still unsure:
                  In delay there lies no plenty,—
                  Then come kiss me, Sweet-and-twenty,
                  Youth’s a stuff will not endure.
                  In the context of Dolores this most obviously is about William being The Man in Black and the action of season 1 being two parallel tracks decades apart (for my money, the best reveal in TV history and one which I did not see coming at all).

Also for her there is the bitter irony of the final line of the final stanza.

But. I was just listening to an episode of the Sherlock Holmes' story "Empty House," in which Holmes quotes the phrase "journeys end in lovers meeting" to Watson. Some background. In "Empty House," Holmes returns after several years' absence since his presumed death at the hands of Moriarty. The quote on the face of it seems to refer to their reunion. A fun fact: Sherlock Holmes' birthday is January 6. Do the math.

OK, back to WestWorld. One of the cliffhanger questions at the end of S1 is: is Ford really dead? Did Dolores kill human Ford and he's gone forever? Did Dolores kill human Ford but he had a Host Ford ready to go? Did Dolores kill a Host Ford and Ford still lives? Did Dolores kill a Host Ford and Ford has been dead a long time?

In "Empty House," Holmes springs a trap on the villain by making a duplicate Holmes which the villain then shoots, thinking he has killed him.

So... does the quote also indicate that the shot Ford is just a body double?

Whaddya think?

Spoiler caveat: As I said, it all falls apart if Ford never uses the quote, but I absolutely remember it (though google says nothing) and the quote means nothing to me in any other context so where else would I be remembering it from?

Edit: I did think of another place the wuote is used. In the 60s version of The Haunting (note, if you have not seen this movie and you like scary suspense, drop everything and see it tonight but only in pitch black and ideally alone; be prepared, it is very, very slow paced but excellent) Eleanor says the line several times to Theodora. So I knew it from there.

And Ford does quotes Shakespeare several times and...

SH-T. I know what I am remembering now. Ford's quote to Dolores is "these violent delights have violent ends." It is NOT the Twelfth Night quote.

My entire thesis is my imagination.

So. Um. As you were.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 06-30-2017, 04:09 PM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

claire kincaid is THE hottest character ever put on tv. hands down.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

No.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        GLOW on Netflix was awesome
                        I might be marathoning that on Sunday. I've seen a couple docs on that "league." Should be a fun watch.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Never mess with a lady.

Olivia de Havilland, who won two Oscars during Hollywood’s golden age, filed a lawsuit on Friday against FX Networks and Ryan Murphy Productions over her gossipy portrayal in the television show “Feud: Bette and Joan.”

“FX defendants misappropriated Olivia de Havilland’s name, likeness and identity without her permission and used them falsely in order to exploit their own commercial interests,” the lawsuit says. Ms. de Havilland, 101, is seeking damages for “emotional harm” and “harm to her reputation,” and is also pushing for an injunction against the use of her name and likeness.
                          You go, girl.

Personally I loved Catherine Zeta-Jones' stylish and confident portrayal of de Haviland almost as much as I loved Kathy Bates' wonderful Joan Blondell.

The stars are still big. Only the pictures got small.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            I might be marathoning that on Sunday. I've seen a couple docs on that "league." Should be a fun watch.
                            4 eps in. Such a trashy, guilty pleasure, but that is what makes it awesome. It's basically going meta, mirroring the wrestling show that they want to make.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              4 eps in. Such a trashy, guilty pleasure, but that is what makes it awesome. It's basically going meta, mirroring the wrestling show that they want to make.
                              Finished it today. Outstanding. Just like its subject, has the predictable twists and turns at the end. You know what's coming, yet you relish every second of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Never mess with a lady.

You go, girl.

Personally I loved Catherine Zeta-Jones' stylish and confident portrayal of de Haviland almost as much as I loved Kathy Bates' wonderful Joan Blondell.

The stars are still big. Only the pictures got small.
                                Of all the main or almost-main characters, she frankly comes out looking the best, so I don't really see her complaint. Though I don't know the rules on how you're allowed to portray a real person who's still alive.

The good news is that there will be a season 2 of Feud with a different feud. The bad news is it will be Charles and Diana, which is a bit played out. I mean, if you're going to do it, go with something more risky; if you want British, why not Disraeli vs Gladstone. I think Sarandon could play Gladstone and Lange could play Disraeli.

KDR

Comment

Working...
                                X