X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Disney cartoon, featuring Scrooge McDuck and his great nephews - Donald's nephews from the old Disney shorts. It originally aired during the late 80s or early 90s.
    I have all my favorite disney cartoons on DVD...Tailspin, Ducktales, and Gummi Bears. I think I have Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers too...should try again to see if the daughter will watch...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Give me the old Looney Tunes anyday.

Big Bad Wolf, "Holy cow! I haven't even taken care of Grandma yet!"

Grandma to Big Bad Wolf, "Land sakes wolfie, ain't cha ever gonna eat me?"
      Last edited by SonofSouthie; 03-10-2017, 11:38 AM.
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Disney cartoon, featuring Scrooge McDuck and his great nephews - Donald's nephews from the old Disney shorts. It originally aired during the late 80s or early 90s.
        Part of a group of shows from when Disney was pouring lots of money into syndicated morning cartoons (along with their Second Golden Age feature movies).

Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, and Gargoyles are the most notable. Still highly resonate among the 25-40 crowd.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          I have all my favorite disney cartoons on DVD...Tailspin, Ducktales, and Gummi Bears. I think I have Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers too...should try again to see if the daughter will watch...
          I've got my daughter to watch them, she likes Gadget.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
            Give me the old Looney Tunes anyday.

Big Bad Wolf, "Holy cow! I haven't even taken care of Grandma yet!"

Grandma to Big Bad Wolf, "Land sakes wolfie, ain't cha ever gonna eat me?"
            It's great to watch old Looney Tunes and Fleischer Studio cartoons. Not just because they can be racy, but they're as subversive as anything on TV now.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              I've got my daughter to watch them, she likes Gadget.
              mine is still a little young, most of what she enjoys is the musics/dancing so she's hooked on wiggles atm
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                It's great to watch old Looney Tunes and Fleischer Studio cartoons. Not just because they can be racy, but they're as subversive as anything on TV now.
                Don't forget Merrie Melodies.

Comment

Don't forget Merrie Melodies.
                  I have never understood the difference until this moment:

Producer Leon Schlesinger had already produced one cartoon in the Looney Tunes series, based on music, and its success prompted him to try to sell a sister series to Warner Bros. His selling point was that the new cartoons would feature music from the soundtracks of Warner Bros. films and would thus serve as advertisements for Warner Bros. recordings and sheet music. The studio agreed, and Schlesinger dubbed the series Merrie Melodies. Walt Disney Productions had already scored with their Silly Symphonies. Since cartoon production usually began with a soundtrack, animating a piece of music made it easier to devise plot elements and even characters.

The origins of the Merrie Melodies series begin with the failure of a live action series of musical shorts called Spooney Melodies, which featured popular songs of the day. These shorts were basically an early type of music video that included segments with a popular artist singing along with appropriate background sequences. Warner Bros. wanted to promote this music because they had recently acquired (in 1930) the ownership of Brunswick Records along with four music publishers for US $28 million. Because of the success of their Looney Tunes series, Warner Bros. decided to develop a new series of animated musical shorts called Merrie Melodies. Hugh Harman and Rudolf Ising led the development. It was meant to be a series of musical cartoons that featured hit songs of the day, especially those then owned by Warner Bros. and featured in their musical films. In 1931, many of the shorts featured the orchestra of Abe Lyman, one of the most famous band leaders of his day.
                  I remember wondering as a kid why some of the cartoons were built around song lyrics and others weren't.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 03-10-2017, 01:47 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I have never understood the difference until this moment:

I remember wondering as a kid why some of the cartoons were built around song lyrics and others weren't.
                    Did not know that. Thx.

Comment

There's an excellent WW2 sub movie on right now on TCM called The War Below. It is EXTREMELY similar to the "Balance of Terror" episode of Star Trek TOS. ("You and I are of a kind. In another reality, I could have called you 'friend'.") I had neither heard of the movie nor had known the episode (one of the very best, IMO) had more than a general debt to movies such as Run Silent, Run Deep, but the particular similarities between the German and Romulan commanders are too strong to be coincidence.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Well, you're a heathen, then.
                        Tiny Toon Adventures holds up well too.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Looney Tunes ARE the epitome of cartoons. However, Rocko's Modern Life is far and away the best cartoon made since them.
                          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                          Groucho Marx
                          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                          Ron White
                          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                          Milo Bloom

Comment

I enjoy watching Robot Chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                              Looney Tunes ARE the epitome of cartoons. However, Rocko's Modern Life is far and away the best cartoon made since them.
                              Used to come home from school, turn on Nickelodeon, and watch.

"Laundry day is a very dangerous day."

I enjoy watching Robot Chicken.
                              "Hi, I'm George W Bush, and I approve this message: TACOS RULE!"
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                                Aren't you retired?

Rugrats, Doug, and Rocko were my Nick rotation.

Comment

Working...
                                X