This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

Al Franken referring to Ted Cruz as the Dwight Shrute (sp?) of the Senate on TDS as well as, "He's the guy that microwaves fish...in the lunchroom" = priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      It's a fairly t subtle and subdued episode. Nothing shocking or in your face, no grest mysteries to de-scramble, but just a wonderfully crafted 40 minutes of reflection, dialogue and character development.
      Finally watched it. That was a friggin' solid episode. "Reflection" is very much true. A lot to digest, despite nothing REALLY happening.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Finally watched it. That was a friggin' solid episode. "Reflection" is very much true. A lot to digest, despite nothing REALLY happening.
        Exactly why I tagged it subtle and subdued, yet very impactful on the senses.

Comment

Al Franken referring to Ted Cruz as the Dwight Shrute (sp?) of the Senate on TDS as well as, "He's the guy that microwaves fish...in the lunchroom" = priceless.
          There's a whole chapter on Cruz in Franken's new book that is supposed to be pretty epic.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            There's a whole chapter on Cruz in Franken's new book that is supposed to be pretty epic.
            Sam Bee and Franken did a segment just trading descriptions each made made of Cruz over the years. It was... apt.
            Last edited by Kepler; 06-03-2017, 03:07 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm through 2 episodes of 13 Reasons Why and wondering myself why I should continue. Not to sound heartless but I've gained zero empathy so far for Hannah herself and production wise it feels like an after school schedule. Am I cracked?

Comment

One more reason I haven't watched Bill Maher in probably 2 decades: he dropped an N-bomb the other night.

Comment

I'm through 2 episodes of 13 Reasons Why and wondering myself why I should continue. Not to sound heartless but I've gained zero empathy so far for Hannah herself and production wise it feels like an after school schedule. Am I cracked?
                  The sympathy for the Hannah doesn't exist in the first half of the season, at the very least. The interesting character is Clay, and how he handles the whole situation while learning what's on the tapes. Your sympathies for Hannah might change as the season continues, but you may simply not like what she did for the reasons she did it. Both outcomes are possible.

IMHO, while she had a real tough go of it, mostly on the revelations made towards the end of the season, she could have handled certain situations better which could have lessened her pain. Still, not everything that burdened her can be laid at her feet.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    One more reason I haven't watched Bill Maher in probably 2 decades: he dropped an N-bomb the other night.
                    Did you see the context?
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Did you see the context?
                      Of course he didnt...if he had then he would have watched it in the last 2 decades

I am sure some are acting like he called someone the N word but he didnt...well he kinda did since he called himself one.

For those that dont know, Senator Sass from Nebraska invited him to come work in the fields in Nebraska and Maher said "In the field? No I way I am a house N". (paraphrased) It is not the controversy some want to pretend it is. (plenty of White Comedians have said way worse)
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The context was that Bill couldn't book the Portland stabber(It's important we give him the platform to tell just his side of the story, because if we don't, that guy could potentially be dangerous. Just like how the media stopped Trump.), so he had to fill time with classic Maher: say something casually racist and painfully unfunny and then whine about how people "don't get the joke".
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Did you see the context?
                          I read the article. Context doesn't make it better.

Comment

Ho! Julia James with a surprise finger in the keister! And Brockmire is into it.
                            Oh, man! The old fastball sign makes for a real snug butt plug.
                            Brilliant.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Maher definitely overstepped a few lines with that comment. Even between black people the phrase "House N*" is a pretty steep insult. Nearly had two coworkers come to blows one time when it was said.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Maher definitely overstepped a few lines with that comment. Even between black people the phrase "House N*" is a pretty steep insult. Nearly had two coworkers come to blows one time when it was said.
                                Depends how it's used. Maher's usage parodied the kind of moron who uses the term seriously or as an insult. If your coworker used it as an insult, yeah, he should have eaten pavement for that.

Context is all that matters. There was nothing wrong with what Maher said. The whole point of the comment is how disgusting a serious use of the word would be.

It's like nobody understands satire anymore.

This is missing the point exactly the way dumbas-ses like Tucker Carlson do when they say "well, rappers use the N word all the time, why can't I?" Because you're manipulative scum who appeals to racist sh-ts, Tucker. It's no more complicated than that.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-03-2017, 05:25 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X