X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    That would be true, if the ratings werent going down...
    except cancellation bear put renewal at 85% before it was cancelled...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      except cancellation bear put renewal at 85% before it was cancelled...
      Right but with ratings dropping and with paying the fee to Fox (and whatever Tim Allen wants) it isnt exactly shocking.

From Deadline

ABC has opted not to renew the longtime Friday 8 PM anchor for Season 7. The Tim Allen-starring multi-camera sitcom often had gone down to the wire on renewals, with ABC and producing studio 20th Century Fox TV wrangling over the series’ license fee. ABC is supposed to cover the cost of the show at this point in its run, and LMS is on the higher end for a multi-camera sitcom because of the marquee salary Allen commands, but 20th TV had agreed to license fee reductions in the past. This time, there was no bargaining, with ABC simply deciding against another season.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        That would be true, if the ratings werent going down...
        It's still #1 in the time slot. It will probably also still live on in syndication, as it is now. Another Allen hit "going out on top".

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          It's still #1 in the time slot. It will probably also still live on in syndication, as it is now. Another Allen hit "going out on top".
          The biggest issue most often today is what Handyman brought up...the fact that its a 20th Century Fox product but airing on ABC. Those shows always get canceled before they otherwise would because ABC has no investment in the back end profits because they don't own the show to sell for syndication.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            The biggest issue most often today is what Handyman brought up...the fact that its a 20th Century Fox product but airing on ABC. Those shows always get canceled before they otherwise would because ABC has no investment in the back end profits because they don't own the show to sell for syndication.
            Yep...it is why NBC cancelled Scrubs. ABC owned the show but licensed it to NBC. It got too expensive so they cancelled it. ABC then revived the show because it was cheaper for them.

Poor Tim Allen...back to the gas chambers I guess!
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Last Man Standing is getting the can, despite high ratings. Political, maybe? https://www.infowars.com/abc-cancels...ti-trump-left/
              I love when the relentless blood funnel of corporate media deliberately turns its nose up at a revenue source and injures its bottom line all to make a principled political stand. Happens all the time.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I like how Spectrum Boy is ignoring the actual arguments about its cost. #1 doesn't matter if it's for the Friday 8pm timeslot and you're asking for Thursday 9pm dollars. But as Tim Allen himself pointed out, getting an 8 year series followed by a 6 year series is proof that there's a vast conspiracy against him.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Tim Allen asks for $Texas as his salary.
                  Many times, that is how a star gets out of a series without ever having to say he wants out....
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Friday night shows are not big earners. Families are out doing things along with the non-parental sorts, and therefore top ratings for Friday night would be lower end for a Monday or Thursday night. When you contrast that with the price tag of the show, which will be high based upon what's been said about Allen's paychecks, it's easy to understand why the show would be cancelled. Who knows, it might get picked up by another network, one of the cable channels that doesn't have a good record of producing its own content and run mid-week where it might stand a chance of being profitable.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      I like how Spectrum Boy is ignoring the actual arguments about its cost. #1 doesn't matter if it's for the Friday 8pm timeslot and you're asking for Thursday 9pm dollars. But as Tim Allen himself pointed out, getting an 8 year series followed by a 6 year series is proof that there's a vast conspiracy against him.
                      Not to mention all those Pixar movies and the Disney family films. Man the Jews in Auschwitz had it easy
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Friday night shows are not big earners. Families are out doing things along with the non-parental sorts, and therefore top ratings for Friday night would be lower end for a Monday or Thursday night. When you contrast that with the price tag of the show, which will be high based upon what's been said about Allen's paychecks, it's easy to understand why the show would be cancelled. Who knows, it might get picked up by another network, one of the cable channels that doesn't have a good record of producing its own content and run mid-week where it might stand a chance of being profitable.
                        It isn't called the Friday Night Deathslot for nothing. A successful Friday Night show is awesome if it's cheap and LMS is not cheap.

But wargarble liberal conspiracy sounds better to some folks.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Friday night 10pm is death row.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Whatever the reasons I laughed often enough that I'm bummed it was cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Nope. It was the whole gang. Bee, Oliver, Colbert, Stewart, Ed Helms, and Rob Corddry
                              After watching that I went down a rabbit hole and wound up watching the last ten minutes of the Colbert Report again. One of the all-time great series finales.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Oh to have the Daily Show (with Jon) and the Report now...

What a bummer.

Comment

Working...
                                X