• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

Gilligan was Karl Marx??

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/enterta...488ebdff23bfad
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Anybody still watching TWD?

I'm so bored with that show and last night was more of the same. Utterly predictable.

I have so much invested that I keep at it, but next season better grab me right away or I'm gone.
      I agree. I start watching episodes at 2x or 3x on the DVR and only slow it down for things that look interesting. The scene where Negan showed up and a few scenes foreshadowing what happened there were about it. Watched it in about 20 minutes. I may just start reading episode recaps next season to see if it's worth it anymore because it sure seems like it may not be.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        I have a feeling Sherwood Schwartz is pulling our legs.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          I agree. I start watching episodes at 2x or 3x on the DVR and only slow it down for things that look interesting. The scene where Negan showed up and a few scenes foreshadowing what happened there were about it. Watched it in about 20 minutes. I may just start reading episode recaps next season to see if it's worth it anymore because it sure seems like it may not be.
          My wife and I gave up on it too. I lost interest last season, and she made it about 2 episodes into this season before she said enough.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

OK. I finished the first season of Legion (episodes 1-8). Overall I loved the show. Spoilers etc to follow:

PART ONE: EPISODE 8

First off, a question. Syd kisses David/Farouk so they swap consciousness/bodies. Syd goes to David's body while David/Farouk is in Syd's body. The last time this happened Syd felt David's mutant powers, so his mutant powers are corporeal, not mental. However, Farouk takes control of Syd's body and immediately plays the "bucket chain" with the other characters, so Syd's mutant powers are mental, nor corporeal. Is this an inconsistency with anything we've learned before?

For that matter, when Farouk is freed of the Halo it should immediately overwrite David causing David's consciousness to cease to exist, but it doesn't. Is this because Farouk only "knows the ropes" of the insides of David's (corporeal) brain and now it's in Syd's, so it can't pull that trick off? I thought that the David/Farouk tug of war was going on entirely inside David's (mental) mind, not his brain, in which case David's mind would be intact and familiar to Farouk regardless of the body. Or perhaps Farouk isn't in control long enough to destroy David's consciousness? It seems to have had no trouble at least sending Oliver's consciousness away -- although it's possible Oliver's consciousness managed to escape to the ice cube in the astral plane* where Farouk can't get at it.

*Do we know for certain that the astral plane exists outside David's mind? It seems to since Oliver was there and Oliver seems to be an independent being and not part of David's fragmented personality. At least, he is if we accept that Syd and Melanie are also independent beings. For now I'm dismissing the possibility that everything is a product of David's imagination, or that David is also part of the fragmented personality of Drooling Guy, because those are not falsifiable hypotheses.

OK, back to Farouk's escape. When the dust settles everybody wakes up in his or her own body except poor Oliver. Even Dead Lenny?!** Everybody was for a brief moment in other bodies. If I remember the sequence:

Syd: Syd --> David forces David: David --> Syd
            Farouk: Syd --> Kerry forces Kerry: Kerry --> Syd
            Farouk (Kerry) knocks out Cary, Ptonomy, Melanie, and Harvey Dent Guy without switching
            Farouk (Kerry) and David do their little Xanadu dance number, resulting unintentionally in Farouk possessing Oliver.

I'm assuming that just like last time eventually the flipping "wears off" so all the unconscious characters can wake up with their normal consciousness restored. Further I'm assuming this doesn't apply to Farouk since otherwise he'd just slingshot right back into David's head.

But listen. At the moment when they are unconscious and still in each other's bodies, Syd should be in David's body and Kerry should be in Syd's body, but... WHERE IS DAVID? If Farouk didn't just take over but escaped him when he slipped out from under the halo, then David should be in Syd's body, but when Farouk jumped from Syd's body to Kerry's body Kerry also went into Syd's body. (1) Is that a problem? (2) OK, say it isn't -- say multiple mentalities can occupy a body. That's what the whole stupid show is about, right? In that case what does that say about the difference between independent beings with real bodies and David's Legion -- the multiple parts of his fragmented personality?

** OK, Dead Lenny. At the end there she is appearing to Farouk in Oliver's body. Dead Lenny is an aspect of Farouk, like Tumor Ted Cruz or Mr. Met Hitler. We were told that King was Farouk's editing back of himself in David's memory. So does Farouk just keep his "Legion" around for laughs, or is Farouk like David a composite character? Have we ever seen any of the faces of the Shadow King show independent motivation or perception or are they all interchangeable masks?

PART TWO: THE WHOLE SHOW

And that finally is where I wanted to wind up. As I went through the show I used as a working assumption that the following characters were all inside David's head: David, Cary-Kerry, Farouk. In turn, all of these characters may actually be one level deeper in Drooling Guy's head, but the distinction doesn't matter.

Farouk contains its own Legion, manifesting sometimes as Tumor Ted Cruz, Mr. Met Hitler, King, The Disembodied Eyes, or Dead Lenny.

In addition, there are these assumed independent characters: Melanie, Ptonomy (I guess?), Oliver; Live Lenny, Sis, Doomed Therapist; Syd, Drooling Guy; Bad Hair Guy, Harvey Dent Guy and all his redshirts.

First Theory: everything is as it seems at the end of the first season. If so, then all the issues above are either problems or teasers. I'm OK with it, although I wish they hadn't resolved David's dilemma so cleanly and I'm disappointed with ep 8 after being blown away by ep 7.

Second Theory: Drooling Guy is the second level of Legion, and Drooling Guy has David as his primary personality, but has also invented Clockworks and all the Clockworks people. The two dominant halves of Drooling Guy's consciousness are David and Syd. He actually has the mutant powers -- either both sets of their powers or something else entirely.

Third Theory: Division 3 and the Super Friends are both projections of David's mind. We have no idea which characters are real and which are portions of his fragmentary consciousness. It's entirely possible that all the characters are real and David is sometimes interacting with them as real and sometimes within his mindscape. Lenny is the obvious example, but maybe every character has a Lennylike dual existence. The key to this theory is that while we all understand the spacial dimensions in this semi-real, semi-projected world are unreliable, maybe the temporal dimensions are too. The show plays with memories being created, erased, repurposed, with characters used as symbols like literals dropped into code. Maybe David's real power is that he can continually recode his mind. The IDE where he does this is the projected space where we have seen most (maybe all) of the action so far.

Corollary: Farouk can also rewire David's memories, so david and Farouk are playing one of those computer camp glass bead games where two kids alternate overwriting each other's code to create a dead end -- a smart person's version of Reversi. Liquid time means none of the timeline in the first season has to be real and we may be anywhere along it "for real." We may still be frozen at the moment of the gunshots, or at the moment where David and Syd "kiss" (the merging of two disparate personality halves) or in an "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" suspension of the moment when David (actually) hangs himself (note: the character in that story, Farquhar, sounds like "Farouk.")

I want to hang on to the ambiguity of the situation so I'm content to keep spinning out theories. Since Legion is based on Marvel canon I'm sure most if not all these ideas can be easily dismissed. But personally I want to keep on watching this show and not worry about what it is an adaptation of. At least for now.
            Last edited by Kepler; 04-04-2017, 04:17 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Holy ****.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

This week's episode of The Americans might have been one of the most subtle and subdued episodes for quite some time, but almost one of my favorites and really showcases why this is such a powerful series. Moral dilemmas, plot twists, sex as a means to an end, great dialogue and then some. I am still completely hooked and can't wait to see where this season goes next.

Comment

Is this the last season for The Americans or is there one more? I know they announced an end, so as to not dilute the quality.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Is this the last season for The Americans or is there one more? I know they announced an end, so as to not dilute the quality.
                    iirc there will be 1 more.

Comment

So just started watching the new Prison Break. Maybe it will explain more during the show, but for now, it appears as if seasons 2-4 of the original series never took place. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        This week's episode of The Americans might have been one of the most subtle and subdued episodes for quite some time, but almost one of my favorites and really showcases why this is such a powerful series. Moral dilemmas, plot twists, sex as a means to an end, great dialogue and then some. I am still completely hooked and can't wait to see where this season goes next.
                        Ditto. I still love how a mistranslation of sorts changes the game completely. The previous one that was really shown to be a powerful one was the Reagan shooting. USSR was thinking "military takeover" when they saw the general on tv. Now THIS little twist in one of the main arcs of the season? Brilliant.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Rick & Morty. It's on Hulu, and if you're not anti-animation, this is great for adult entertainment. The relatively crude style of the animation may keep some people from enjoying it, and it's completely juvenile at times, but really smart too. They do a lot of send-ups of science fiction movies, the main characters are based upon Back to the Future, and the absurd relationship between Doc Brown and Marty.

They've only released two seasons so far, though the third season is in production it's been a long, long time coming. The creators didn't want to rush out the next season just to meet a timeline, and instead are trying for quality of story. Don't be surprised if it only lasts through season 3 or 4 because of that.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Haven't seen this weeks Designated Survivor yet, but thinking back to last week I wonder... the First Lady said her mother was Russian. I wonder if she (her mother or even herself) will eventually work herself into the show being part of the conspiracy.

Comment

Last night on Jeopardy!, a contestant whiffed on an obvious question about dinosaurs, and lost everything.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/jeo...ium=socialflow
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                Last night on Jeopardy!, a contestant whiffed on an obvious question about dinosaurs, and lost everything.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/jeo...ium=socialflow
                                Eh, I didn't think missing that question was point-and-laugh bad. Plus, the Raptors don't even use the dinosaur as their primary logo anymore.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X