Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    You would love The Book of Mormon. That's all I'm gonna say.
    I'll say it, Book of Mormon is overrated. I prefer both Spamalot and Avenue Q over it in terms of comedic musicals. A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder is also up there, depending on who they get to play the lead.

Book of Mormon is outstanding for the first half hour and the last half hour, but simply an over the top South Park episode in the middle.

You're killing me, unofan, because I love Book of Mormon, but I agree to a point. I haven't seen Spamalot, but Avenue Q is consistently funnier than Book of Mormon. The particular 'toilet humor' running gag in Book of Mormon gets old after one appearance. Plus, the first time I saw/heard "Man Up", I was borderline horrified, even as an atheist. I learned to enjoy it after a few viewings in YouTube, but as I told several folks after seeing it live, "If I were a Christian of any conservative, or even moderate flavor, that's probably the point where I would've bugged out."

I do, however, love the romanticizing of Salt-a Lake-a Ceeety in song. Having been there several times, it's perhaps the second or third biggest pit in America, depending on your POV. Not to mention "Orrrlandoooo!!!"
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-15-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I do, however, love the romanticizing of Salt-a Lake-a Ceeety in song. Having been there several times, it's perhaps the second or third biggest pit in America, depending on your POV.
    True, but it's hard to parse SLC from those beautiful mountains in its back yard. Some of the canyons are actually part of the city.

And, to a lesser extent, the geologic wonderland in the southern part of the state.

Different thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    True, but it's hard to parse SLC from those beautiful mountains in its back yard. Some of the canyons are actually part of the city.

And, to a lesser extent, the geologic wonderland in the southern part of the state.
    Oh, definitely. Just ignore the smog bank on your final descent into KSLC, and floor it out of town, and you're golden. It's a lot of crap to get through however, and easily takes 30-45+ mins.

SLC is Los Angeles without the palm trees. And LA is Detroit with palm trees. So, there you go.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Oh, definitely. Just ignore the smog bank on your final descent into KSLC, and floor it out of town, and you're golden. It's a lot of crap to get through however, and easily takes 30-45+ mins.

SLC is Los Angeles without the palm trees. And LA is Detroit with palm trees. So, there you go.
    You move from New York City, the Mecca and hub of the cultural world to Utah! Nowhere!

--SLC Punk (great movie)
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    You move from New York City, the Mecca and hub of the cultural world to Utah! Nowhere!

--SLC Punk (great movie)
    You mention it a lot - I seriously need to see this film. Is it on Netflix or AZ Prime?

You mention it a lot - I seriously need to see this film. Is it on Netflix or AZ Prime?
    That I don't know. I had it on disc on Netflix a few years ago, and bought it the next day. The full speech of where that quote is from (not a spoiler):

Never mind, will have to link when I get home.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

The SLC thing, now that I can actually hear the audio (NSFW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHDVt9UDnE

Already insane, UAA making it worse

--SLC Punk (great movie)
    Quoted Scene.

"I didn't sell out son, I bought in."
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Quoted Scene.

"I didn't sell out son, I bought in."
    The quote of a true sell-out.

And the Family Meeting scene isn't even the funniest. The Liquor Store Scene....good God Almighty (quite literally!)

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    I measure time on Saturday afternoon based on where AMC is in Godfather I/II. For example, I left to get my hair cut when Clemenza and Paulie were going to get mattresses (which did not go well for Paulie) and got back when Vito asked Tom to tell his Don what everyone seems to know.
    It was Goodfellas on Friday. We caught the last hour twice.

The quote of a true sell-out.

And the Family Meeting scene isn't even the funniest. The Liquor Store Scene....good God Almighty (quite literally!)
    "I don't see Nazis as devil worshipers."
    "Oh, you don't?"
    "More like a gathering of people..."

Personal favorite is the "posers" scene:
    "Those ****ing English chaps could only say **** about us Americans. All we were to them was a bunch of hicks! You know what? I"M NOT A ****ING HICK! I don't wear cowboy boots, I hate the ****ing rodeo, horses smell like **** to me, and I never ****ed anybody in my own bloodline! By definition I'm not a redneck and God ****** I'm not a hick!
    I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    It was Goodfellas on Friday. We caught the last hour twice.
    Bourdain Tweeted about it.

"I don't see Nazis as devil worshipers."
    "Oh, you don't?"
    "More like a gathering of people..."

Personal favorite is the "posers" scene:
    "Those ****ing English chaps could only say **** about us Americans. All we were to them was a bunch of hicks! You know what? I"M NOT A ****ING HICK! I don't wear cowboy boots, I hate the ****ing rodeo, horses smell like **** to me, and I never ****ed anybody in my own bloodline! By definition I'm not a redneck and God ****** I'm not a hick!
    This showerhead has seven settings! Seven! All of which I will show you now!

Bourdain Tweeted about it.

It's awesome, though I prefer Godfather I and II (slightly). All 3 are in my top 10 movies. (Along with Out Cold, Tombstone, Bull Durham, Ghostbusters, Pacific Rim, Despicable Me, and Miracle.) Note, not movies I think are the best movies, but my personal top 10 enjoyable movies to watch when I want to just relax and enjoy something familiar.

It's awesome, though I prefer Godfather I and II (slightly). All 3 are in my top 10 movies. (Along with Out Cold, Tombstone, Bull Durham, Ghostbusters, Pacific Rim, Despicable Me, and Miracle.) Note, not movies I think are the best movies, but my personal top 10 enjoyable movies to watch when I want to just relax and enjoy something familiar.
    I walked out of Pacific Rim. Sorry.

I walked out of Pacific Rim. Sorry.
    It's not for everyone. I have a lady hard-on for del Toro's style.

Out Cold! Love that movie in spite of the horribly inaccurate Alaska. "Ever since they took my bar away I've been doin' a lot of thinkin'. A lot of drinkin' and a lot of thinkin'..."
    I spell Failure with UAF

Movies I cannot turn off: Godfather, Miracle, Goodfellas, Amadeus, Kill The Irishman, Road House, and Major League.

Out Cold! Love that movie in spite of the horribly inaccurate Alaska. "Ever since they took my bar away I've been doin' a lot of thinkin'. A lot of drinkin' and a lot of thinkin'..."
    I don't know why, but that and Eurotrip have special places in my heart. (Never been to Alaska)

Thread Information