X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Season 4 of Futurama is one of the finest seasons of television to ever be released. Jurassic Bark, Love and Rocket, The Sting, The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings. All peak television.

But make sure you take the time to have the characters grow and develop. It's hard to connect to them and get the full impact of seasons 3 and 4 of you watch the whole thing in a weekend*.

*A friend and I used to host a party called Futuramarama where we would have dozens of people over and we would watch every episode back-to-back. People would come and go when they wanted. But we would start on Friday at 7 pm and finish Sunday morning. One year we decided to try and drink 100 cups of coffee during the weekend. It's hard. To be young.
    A friend and I used to host Grey's Anatomy Thursdays. The show sucked, but it was me and my buddy drinking and watching sappy TV with about 8 girls every Thursday for about 3 years in college.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Re: Golden Era

I think we're past it. As TV trends go, I think with time, what we're calling the "Golden Era" will be considered the "white male anti-hero era" that runs from the start of The Sopranos through the end of....probably Breaking Bad, maybe Boardwalk Empire. History will probably judge that era harsher than we do, just because of the reliance on white male anti-heroes.

Now we're in the era of streaming/binge watching. I wanted to say House of Cards was the start, but apparently Game of Thrones started two years prior. There just aren't many shows that can tell a good self-contained story within an hour of television. You're getting a 12-hour movie instead of 12 short stories that enhance a greater narrative, which is what the best TV can do.

Re: Sorkin

Studio 60 and Newsroom are both awful television shows, and even Sorkin himself admits that.

The biggest problem with Studio 60 was that the show's comedy sketches were supposed to be edgy, and ground-breaking and hilarious. Except that then they actually showed the sketches on the show and they were just painfully bad.

Newsroom has a similar problem. Season 1 was supposed to be a lesson on how the news should be covered(By waiting nine months to report on anything...gee thanks for that insight). After that, it became about Jeff Daniels using his show to deliver edgy, ground-breaking monologues that changed the nature of political discourse. Except that then they actually showed his monologues and it was nothing different than what you'd hear on Rachel Maddow's show any night of the week and nobody gives a **** about that.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

I think we're past it. As TV trends go, I think with time, what we're calling the "Golden Era" will be considered the "white male anti-hero era" that runs from the start of The Sopranos through the end of....probably Breaking Bad, maybe Boardwalk Empire. History will probably judge that era harsher than we do, just because of the reliance on white male anti-heroes.

Now we're in the era of streaming/binge watching. I wanted to say House of Cards was the start, but apparently Game of Thrones started two years prior. There just aren't many shows that can tell a good self-contained story within an hour of television. You're getting a 12-hour movie instead of 12 short stories that enhance a greater narrative, which is what the best TV can do.
        When I watch one of my favorite TV shows the last thing I want is a 1 hour contained story. Save that **** for the small minded people that watch CBS. I want a 10 hour epic movie that actually tells a detailed, complex and interesting story.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

That's not it at all. What you are calling WMAH are shows I didn't watch at all, and to me this era is the Golden Age because the explosion of all the niches allowed us to break the stranglehold of mass audience, lowest common denominator television. "Prestige" shows, a fancy way of saying shows for smart people, became possible for the first time in American television history. Markets were so fragmented that reducing the demo that could understand your show to the top 5-10% in intelligence became a viable business model. The result was shows that didn't have to slow down for the dumb to keep up, and that has made all the difference. It brought intelligent entertainment out of the art house theaters and into our homes.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What Kep and bbdl said. I want to be "involved" in the story. I want to have to wait until that next episode*, I want to think about how it's gonna pan out.

*Even binging, if you bring a show that makes me say to myself, "Ok, just one more, then I'm done for today," knowing that I'm lying to myself, there's the key.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Season 3 also had Godfellas. Easily a top five episode.
              "You know, I was God once."
              "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                When I watch one of my favorite TV shows the last thing I want is a 1 hour contained story. Save that **** for the small minded people that watch CBS. I want a 10 hour epic movie that actually tells a detailed, complex and interesting story.
                Completely agree. **** an hour. Episodic dramas are so boring. Serial is the only way to go.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Completely agree. **** an hour. Episodic dramas are so boring. Serial is the only way to go.
                  Should have expected that the Michigan guy would get confused about a show longer than an hour. Stick to NCIS, Maize.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    That's not it at all. What you are calling WMAH are shows I didn't watch at all, and to me this era is the Golden Age because the explosion of all the niches allowed us to break the stranglehold of mass audience, lowest common denominator television. "Prestige" shows, a fancy way of saying shows for smart people, became possible for the first time in American television history. Markets were so fragmented that reducing the demo that could understand your show to the top 5-10% in intelligence became a viable business model. The result was shows that didn't have to slow down for the dumb to keep up, and that has made all the difference. It brought intelligent entertainment out of the art house theaters and into our homes.
                    Also agree. Episodic shows are the Twitter of the television world. Cram everything in to one episode and start over next week. The serial drama is the Ph.D. thesis answer to the 140-character episode.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Should have expected that the Michigan guy would get confused about a show longer than an hour. Stick to NCIS, Maize.
                      Oh snap!
                      Code:

Comment

I stumbled across one of the few laugh track comedies I actually like tonight and would submit it for consideration.

Frasier.

Intelligence and slapstick blended together masterfully. Haven't seen anything like it before or after.
                        Code:

Comment

Working...
                        X