X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

The Handmaid's Tale (miniseries).

Petty bad. I went in predisposed to like it if for no other reason after Pence packs the Court we'll be living in it, but a combination of weak acting and hamfisted direction turns this into a 15-year old's book report on the novel. Plodding, pedantic, obvious and amateurish. Hard to go wrong with that material, but they did. D.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Petty bad. I went in predisposed to like it if for no other reason after Pence packs the Court we'll be living in it, but a combination of weak acting and hamfisted direction turns this into a 15-year old's book report on the novel. Plodding, pedantic, obvious and amateurish. Hard to go wrong with that material, but they did. D.
      I've yet to watch it but this might be the only negative review I've seen at any forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        I've yet to watch it but this might be the only negative review I've seen at any forum.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          It's Kepler. He's a negative indicator when it comes to most entertainment.

I've started watching the series. While it's not perfect, I thought it's been thought provoking in displaying a worst-case-scenario of what could happen to America if the wrong government came into power.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Kep, Apocalypse Now must have been an offensively overindulgent butchering of Heart of Darkness to you. I mean, it was to a lot of people, but not many thought to hold it up against the novel.

Comment

No Oxford comma?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                It's Kepler. He's a negative indicator when it comes to most entertainment.

I've started watching the series. While it's not perfect, I thought it's been thought provoking in displaying a worst-case-scenario of what could happen to America if the wrong government came into power.
                That's the book. All the content is the book. All the presentation is the movie, and that's what is weak as-s sh-t.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  No Oxford comma?
                  It was late.
                  Cornell University

Comment

My girlfriend, whose taste is nothing like Kepler's, had almost the exact same response to the show. She loved the book and had a lot of issues with the series. I am not sure if she finished it she just stopped talking about it.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      My girlfriend, whose taste is nothing like Kepler's, had almost the exact same response to the show. She loved the book and had a lot of issues with the series. I am not sure if she finished it she just stopped talking about it.
                      Ask her what she thought of The Robber Bride. That is my favorite Atwood novel -- the first third of it is really well written -- and it's straightforward enough that it could probably come across OK on TV or movie.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Emmy 2017.

My choices in bold. I did not see some of these shows.

Best lead actress in a drama series
                        Keri Russell - The Americans
                        Claire Foy - The Crown
                        Elisabeth Moss - The Handmaid's Tale
                        Robin Wright - House of Cards
                        Viola Davis - How To Get Away With Murder
                        Evan Rachel Wood - Westworld

Best lead actor in a drama series
                        Matthew Rhys - The Americans
                        Bob Odenkirk - Better Call Saul
                        Kevin Spacey - House Of Cards
                        Liev Schreiber - Ray Donovan
                        Sterling K Brown - This Is Us
                        Milo Ventimiglia - This Is Us
                        Anthony Hopkins - Westworld

Best lead actress in a limited series or movie
                        Felicity Huffman - American Crime
                        Nicole Kidman - Big Little Lies
                        Reese Witherspoon - Big Little Lies
                        Carrie Coon - Fargo
                        Jessica Lange - Feud: Bette And Joan
                        Susan Sarandon - Feud: Bette And Joan

Come on, they have to tie.

Best lead actor in a limited series or movie
                        Ewan McGregor - Fargo
                        Geoffrey Rush - Genius
                        Riz Ahmed - The Night Of
                        John Turturro - The Night Of
                        Benedict Cumberbatch - Sherlock: The Lying Detective
                        Robert De Niro - The Wizard Of Lies

Best lead actor in a comedy series
                        Anthony Anderson - Black-ish
                        Aziz Ansari - Master of None
                        Zach Galifianakis - Baskets
                        Donald Glover - Atlanta
                        William H Macy - Shameless
                        Jeffrey Tambor - Transparent

Best lead actress in a comedy series
                        Pamela Adlon - Better Things
                        Jane Fonda - Grace and Frankie
                        Allison Janney - Mom
                        Ellie Kemper - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
                        Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Veep
                        Tracee Ellis Ross - Black-ish
                        Lily Tomlin - Grace and Frankie

Best drama series
                        Better Call Saul
                        The Crown
                        The Handmaid's Tale
                        House of Cards
                        Stranger Things
                        This Is Us
                        Westworld

Best comedy series
                        Atlanta
                        Black-ish
                        Master of None
                        Modern Family
                        Silicon Valley
                        Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
                        Veep

Best limited series
                        Big Little Lies
                        Fargo
                        Feud: Bette and Joan
                        Genius
                        The Night Of

Best TV movie
                        Black Mirror: San Junipero
                        Dolly Parton's Christmas Of Many Colors: Circle Of Love
                        The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks
                        Sherlock: The Lying Detective
                        The Wizard Of Lies

I managed to miss all of them.
                        Cornell University

Comment

I think the leftovers was hosed. Carrie coon, Justin thereaux should have been nominated, along with the show

Comment

Dirty Dancing remake got robbed!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I haven't seen the latest season of House of Cards, but Evan Rachel Wood was so good in WW. I'll trust your judgement.

Hopkins should smoke the competition in male lead. It was one of the best performances I've ever seen in movie or tv.

I didn't watch Bette and Joan because I couldn't stand the subject matter. I generally despise entertainment industry topics. I did like Reese Witherspoon in BLL, but not enough to give it to her. Kidman was also good, but I just didn't feel she had enough for the Emmy either. The only person I thought surpsssed my expectations was Shaylene Woodley. I thought she was going to be crushed by Kidman and Witherspoon. She held her own.

100% agree on Turturro. Excellent.

I generally don't watch comedies so I'll skip to drama series. It should be Westworld (I can't believe Game of Thrones wasn't nominated since it was the best season of television I've ever seen) but Stranger Things will likely take it.

Comedy blech.

I think you're probably right about The Night Of. It was good. I also enjoyed BLL, but I'm not sure it was elevated to Emmy.

I tried to watch The Immortal and Wizard but neither managed to hold my attention.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Isn't GoT out because it hasn't happened yet? I believe last season was done by the time the 2016 Emmys happened.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X