Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 480

Thread: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

  1. #421
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,833

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I've got a LOT of catching up to do on that one.
    Depending on where you are, it's either going to get really messy, or it's really messy. The intertwining of everything is quite mesmerizing.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #422
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,942

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Witcher, one of the greatest games I've ever played, is getting its own Netflix series.


  3. #423
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    21,745

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    I'm just going to come out and say it. I've been watching a lot of Supernatural on Netflix.

    Such a dumb show. But it's fun. Mindless goofy fun. Jensen Ackles is a funny dude.

  4. #424
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    16,796
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    I'm really getting fed up with some friends on my Facebook feed whining about how ABC's Last Man Standing was canceled "because of Tim Allen's politics!"

    No, it was canceled because it was produced by 20th Century Fox and wasn't returning the profit margin that in-house ABC programs could for the same ratings.

    If the show is so popular, why isn't FOX picking it up itself for FOX, FX, or FXX?
    Yeah it seems to be the annoying conservative cause of the week. Seriously saw links to petitions. It's annoying.

  5. #425
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,942

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    I'm just going to come out and say it. I've been watching a lot of Supernatural on Netflix.

    Such a dumb show. But it's fun. Mindless goofy fun. Jensen Ackles is a funny dude.
    Is that that the one with two brothers? If so, I used to watch that back when reruns were on TNT. I can't remember the last time I watched it though.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-18-2017 at 07:07 AM.

  6. #426
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Yeah it seems to be the annoying conservative cause of the week. Seriously saw links to petitions. It's annoying.
    yup bc conservatives are the only ones that have causes w/petitions for things that other people find silly...

  7. #427
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,283

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    yup bc conservatives are the only ones that have causes w/petitions for things that other people find silly...
    That isnt what he said...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  8. #428
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    That isnt what he said...
    i don't really care what he said, I'm not going to allow one side to dominate this conversation. People do a lot of silly stuff but I don't come to the tv thread and complain about people I disagree with creating petitions to save shows they like. I've been a part of those before, but I guess it's not annoying if it doesn't have a political edge to it?

    It makes sense that it's about money and the fact that fox owns the show, not abc but to insinuate that conservatives are just plain dumb for thinking politics played a role is wrong, bc you don't know. If a Friday night show can make money, then there really is no reason to cancel it.

  9. #429
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    21,745
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Is that that the one with two brothers? If so, I used to watch that back when reruns were on TNT. I can't remember the last time I watched it though.
    It is. I've lost count of how many sharks it has jumped. But, I don't care. The show doesn't appear to take itself very seriously, so it doesn't really matter. I'm blown away that it is still going, though. 12 seasons. Cripes.

  10. #430
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,283

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    i don't really care what he said, I'm not going to allow one side to dominate this conversation. People do a lot of silly stuff but I don't come to the tv thread and complain about people I disagree with creating petitions to save shows they like. I've been a part of those before, but I guess it's not annoying if it doesn't have a political edge to it?

    It makes sense that it's about money and the fact that fox owns the show, not abc but to insinuate that conservatives are just plain dumb for thinking politics played a role is wrong, bc you don't know. If a Friday night show can make money, then there really is no reason to cancel it.
    But it wasnt making money (or enough to justify it being renewed) so they cancelled it. The only reason politics is brought up is because Tim Allen is a very vocal conservative who has said he is a pariah (despite multi million dollar book deals, movie deals and TV production deals) because of his beliefs. Now that the show is cancelled the Right Wing is using that as their outrage of the day. Those are the facts...

    No one said conservatives are dumb (go back and read literally no one said it) they said it annoys them that they are ignoring the actual facts. The ones trying to "dominate the conversation" are the ones making up BS reasons a show was cancelled.

    The reason it is being brought up is not because of the political bend (that is why these fans choose to care) it is because petitions to save shows are just plain ridiculous no matter the reason.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  11. #431
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,283

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    It is. I've lost count of how many sharks it has jumped. But, I don't care. The show doesn't appear to take itself very seriously, so it doesn't really matter. I'm blown away that it is still going, though. 12 seasons. Cripes.
    It was renewed again as well..
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  12. #432
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    But it wasnt making money (or enough to justify it being renewed) so they cancelled it. The only reason politics is brought up is because Tim Allen is a very vocal conservative who has said he is a pariah (despite multi million dollar book deals, movie deals and TV production deals) because of his beliefs. Now that the show is cancelled the Right Wing is using that as their outrage of the day. Those are the facts...

    No one said conservatives are dumb (go back and read literally no one said it) they said it annoys them that they are ignoring the actual facts. The ones trying to "dominate the conversation" are the ones making up BS reasons a show was cancelled.

    The reason it is being brought up is not because of the political bend (that is why these fans choose to care) it is because petitions to save shows are just plain ridiculous no matter the reason.
    If you think politics played NO role, I find that absurd. This is very similar to Colin Kaepernick. No NFL team feels he's good enough to be worth the PR. Similarly, Last Man Standing has great ratings, especially for its time slot but yes, ABC makes nothing on the back end so it does have a higher standard than other shows...but to say that this is just a financial decision is to be blind to the reality of today. ABC probably doesn't appreciate the pub Tim Allen gets and has decided what they do make on LMS isn't worth it anymore...especially since Trump is now president.

    Neither side is totally right or totally wrong, but those here that are annoyed seem to think conservatives are silly for thinking politics played any part...Since when do politics not play into public decisions like this?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  13. #433
    lucky penguin
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    16,566

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Last Man Standing wasn't some powerful ratings juggernaut. It had decent raw numbers, but nobody under the age of 95 was watching it, which means it wasn't nearly as profitable as it seemed.

    That said, I really hope it was canceled because of Tim Allen's politics. His beliefs are nothing more than the powerful screwing over the less powerful, and he has the audacity to whine about the rare situation where he's in the less powerful position. **** that guy, and if some of his own ****tiness got turned back on him, then it was well deserved. Losing a TV show isn't in the same ballpark as dying in a jail cell after being denied water for seven days.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

    Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

    Western College Hockey Blog

  14. #434
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    18,347

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    I'm just going to come out and say it. I've been watching a lot of Supernatural on Netflix.

    Such a dumb show. But it's fun. Mindless goofy fun. Jensen Ackles is a funny dude.
    It isn't Emmy material. But quite often there'll be an episode of that show that is as good as anything on TV. The episode where they're zapped into an alternate dimension, as actors Jenson Ackles and Jared Padelecki(who hate each other)playing Sam and Dean Winchester on a TV show called Supernatural was brilliant. "Wait, you're name is Bobby Singer? You named a character after yourself?"

    Or The Curious Case of Dean Winchester, where he loses years gambling at poker, and wakes up the next morning as an old man, played wonderfully by Chad Everett. "I see you've met John McCain here."

    I'm a big fan, and plan someday on picking up the seasons on DVD.

    Or Weekend at Bobby's.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMpDuAkaeI
    Last edited by rufus; 05-18-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

  15. #435
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    28,815

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It isn't Emmy material. But quite often there'll be an episode of that show that is as good as anything on TV. The episode where they're zapped into an alternate dimension, as actors Jenson Ackles and Jared Padelecki(who hate each other)...
    Aren't they former roommates that were in each others' wedding?

  16. #436
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    18,347

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Aren't they former roommates that were in each others' wedding?
    Don't know. But that was one of the hooks. In the alternate dimension, Sam and Dean, brothers, are now Jared and Jenson, actors who can't stand each other, playing the characters of Sam and Dean, brothers.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

  17. #437
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,283

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Don't know. But that was one of the hooks. In the alternate dimension, Sam and Dean, brothers, are now Jared and Jenson, actors who can't stand each other, playing the characters of Sam and Dean, brothers.
    Sounds like they were playing fictionalized versions of themselves because in real life I am pretty sure they dont hate each other at all. (which is what makes the episode funny)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  18. #438
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,057

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Anyone have a solution for getting Showtime that doesn't involve cable, and is easy to cancel after 3-4 months? Or am I totally fcked for the new Twin Peaks and waiting for DVD? Thought I could stream it on its own - nope. I thought YouTube TV might be the answer, especially since outside of premium channels, they seem to cater to sports fans who've cut the cord, but then I see they haven't gone live outside of 5 major cities (NYC, PHL, CHI, LA, and SFO) yet. Blah.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  19. #439
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Anyone have a solution for getting Showtime that doesn't involve cable, and is easy to cancel after 3-4 months? Or am I totally fcked for the new Twin Peaks and waiting for DVD? Thought I could stream it on its own - nope. I thought YouTube TV might be the answer, especially since outside of premium channels, they seem to cater to sports fans who've cut the cord, but then I see they haven't gone live outside of 5 major cities (NYC, PHL, CHI, LA, and SFO) yet. Blah.
    why can't you do showtime stand alone app with subscription? Via fire tv or roku?

  20. #440
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,057

    Re: TV: The Golden Era Reborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    why can't you do showtime stand alone app with subscription? Via fire tv or roku?
    Yeah, I don't have any of those "streaming devices". I just have Netflix.

    So does buying an AZ Fire or Roku device for the one-time fee make sense?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •