Robb Stauber Named Head Coach for U.S. Women's National Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    KITN-29...Boy that brings back some memories...Interesting on the one play where the Gophers score a goal, Grant Bischoff puts himself offside coming into the zone.

Goalie equipment sure has evolved from those days and oh yeah...Robb Stauber is the devil.
    Maybe he'll teach the goalies how to attack any puck carriers that have their heads down. The goalies will be doing a LOT of sprinting in that case. Seriously though, if a regular player attacked opponents like that they would get a penalty for tripping, especially because they would be intentionally leaving their feet to do so. He figured out that refs won't penalize a goalie for using that tactic even though they should. Watch some of those clips of him on YouTube and you'll see how many guys were very slow to get up after they were attacked by him, including his own teammates. I would have hated having him as a teammate because he was so dangerous. It really could be considered an intent to injure type of move.
    Last edited by shelfit; 03-07-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Re: Robb Stauber Named Head Coach for U.S. Women's National Team

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Maybe he'll teach the goalies how to attack any puck carriers that have their heads down. The goalies will be doing a LOT of sprinting in that case. Seriously though, if a regular player attacked opponents like that they would get a penalty for tripping, especially because they would be intentionally leaving their feet to do so. He figured out that refs won't penalize a goalie for using that tactic even though they should. Watch some of those clips of him on YouTube and you'll see how many guys were very slow to get up after they were attacked by him, including his own teammates. I would have hated having him as a teammate because he was so dangerous. It really could be considered an intent to injure type of move.
      Maybe he'll just coach and be critiqued on how well he does with that and not on what he did as part of Shannon Miller's staff a few years ago or how he played in games 25 to 30 years ago?
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post

What is his background in women's hockey or girls' hockey? .
        Stauber was goalie coach for UMD Women's team from 2004-08. He was the goalie coach for Team USAs women's team from 2011-14 including at the Olympics, as well as a scout for that team 2012-13.
        He was an assistant coach for Team USA women from 2014-16, and was the head coach for Team USA at the women's winter champions series in Dec 2016 and at the 2 winter training camps in Dec 2016 and Feb 28-March 2 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Ha. I thought someone might come up with something like that.

To answer your question, though, there was no intended "moral" to my story. I was just relaying an occurrence involving Stauber that some here might find of interest.

You can draw your own conclusions.
          considering the head coach, most would have avoided her too

they haven't named the coach of the Olympic team yet, so a little early to get your undies in a bunch

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            they haven't named the coach of the Olympic team yet, so a little early to get your undies in a bunch
            Huh?

Comment

considering the head coach, most would have avoided her too

I think it would be somewhat surprising if Stauber wasn't named to coach the Olympic team eventually at this point. You'd think they'd want some continuity there. But maybe they want to keep their options open. Mark Johnson was named to coach the 2010 Olympic team in January of 2009.
              They have also announced the 23 players on the women's roster for the world's including 8 Gophers (if the Lams are included).
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

bump

Comment

As per today's Pioneer Press. Reagan Carey, director of women's hockey said the coach for the Four Nations Cup next winter and the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea would be appointed after the world championships.

The article also indicated following the overtime loss to Canada in the gold medal game at the 2014 Olympics, USA Hockey decided to name the women's team coach for individual events, rather than a longer term.
                  "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
                    I was wondering the same thing. In the era of equality, you'd have a hard time convincing me that there is not ONE qualified female to coach an all female team. I believe any criticism handed out is warranted.
                    well, if you are going to criticize the person mostly responsible for the hiring decision, calling her a sexist probably is off the mark. Since all the men are white, the obvious answer then is that she is a racist.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      Stauber was goalie coach for UMD Women's team from 2004-08. He was the goalie coach for Team USAs women's team from 2011-14 including at the Olympics, as well as a scout for that team 2012-13.
                      He was an assistant coach for Team USA women from 2014-16, and was the head coach for Team USA at the women's winter champions series in Dec 2016 and at the 2 winter training camps in Dec 2016 and Feb 28-March 2 this year.
                      He also coached the Whitecaps in 2015-16.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

He may not have a team to coach

@Hilary_Knight: US WNT will not play in 2017 World Championship due to stalled negotiations over fair wages and support from USA Hockey #BeBoldForChange https://twitter.com/Hilary_Knight/st...888128/photo/1
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I have a small writeup:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...chang-olympics

Good for them.
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            So is the moral of your story that Team USA better hope that Stauber leaves them "hung out to dry"
                            Starting to look like Team USA might be leaving Stauber "hung out to dry".

At least he'll know where they are and what their reasoning was...unless, of course, his reputation preceded him...haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Starting to look like Team USA might be leaving Stauber "hung out to dry".

At least he'll know where they are and what their reasoning was...unless, of course, his reputation preceded him...haha.
                              since you are so familar with the Bulldogs, maybe you can give us a list of all of the coaches that served under the Coach Whose Name Shan't Be Said and the number of years served

seems to me she had a number that only lasted a year, her own former player no less

Comment

since you are so familar with the Bulldogs, maybe you can give us a list of all of the coaches that served under the Coach Whose Name Shan't Be Said and the number of years served

seems to me she had a number that only lasted a year, her own former player no less
                                She probably screamed an yelled at them too so they probably decided not to be treated like that and left.

Comment

Working...
                                X