Robb Stauber Named Head Coach for U.S. Women's National Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robb Stauber Named Head Coach for U.S. Women's National Team

Brett Strot has been named Associate Coach, with Assistants and Goaltending Coach also named.
    http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=837594

2017 IIHF WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...d-championship
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: Robb Stauber Named Head Coach for U.S. Women's National Team

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Brett Strot has been named Associate Coach, with Assistants and Goaltending Coach also named.

Tee up the "why are all the coaches men?" debate.

Comment

Stauber was UMD's goaltending coach in '07-'09. Then after the '09-'10 season started he pulled a Houdini on the team and the goaltenders...hung 'em out to dry...out of the blue he stopped showing up for sessions with, apparently, no word or notice to anyone...failed to return multiple phone calls and emails...no one knew what was going on and they never got the consideration of an explanation from him.

The team was without a goaltending coach for quite a while until Miller could enlist one (Brandt Nicklin). It ended well because UMD won the Frozen Four Championship that year in that epic triple overtime game vs Cornell...but no thanks to Stauber.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
        Tee up the "why are all the coaches men?" debate.
        I was wondering the same thing. In the era of equality, you'd have a hard time convincing me that there is not ONE qualified female to coach an all female team. I believe any criticism handed out is warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Stauber was UMD's goaltending coach in '07-'09. Then after the '09-'10 season started he pulled a Houdini on the team and the goaltenders...hung 'em out to dry...out of the blue he stopped showing up for sessions with, apparently, no word or notice to anyone...failed to return multiple phone calls and emails...no one knew what was going on and they never got the consideration of an explanation from him.

The team was without a goaltending coach for quite a while until Miller could enlist one (Brandt Nicklin). It ended well because UMD won the Frozen Four Championship that year in that epic triple overtime game vs Cornell...but no thanks to Stauber.
          So is the moral of your story that Team USA better hope that Stauber leaves them "hung out to dry" so they can win gold in an epic triple overtime game against Canada?
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            So is the moral of your story that Team USA better hope that Stauber leaves them "hung out to dry" so they can win gold in an epic triple overtime game against Canada?
            Ha. I thought someone might come up with something like that.

To answer your question, though, there was no intended "moral" to my story. I was just relaying an occurrence involving Stauber that some here might find of interest.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
              I was wondering the same thing. In the era of equality, you'd have a hard time convincing me that there is not ONE qualified female to coach an all female team. I believe any criticism handed out is warranted.
              Well, in the last four Oylmpics with Ben Smith, Mark Johnson and Katie Stone the US was 0 for 4. Stauber was a very good goaltender, but I have no idea how he would be as a head coach. Man or woman I just hope they figure out how to win in South Korea next year.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                Well, in the last four Oylmpics with Ben Smith, Mark Johnson and Katie Stone the US was 0 for 4. Stauber was a very good goaltender, but I have no idea how he would be as a head coach. Man or woman I just hope they figure out how to win in South Korea next year.
                A very curious pick indeed.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Sort of off thread but Olympic related. There was a guy with a team Canada jacket a couple rows down from us at the game Saturday. He was taking notes in this notebook:

Yes, I peeked at what he was writing. He had sections for all the Canadians you might suspect they were interested in but his handwriting was so tiny I could not make out anything useful.
                  Last edited by ne7minder; 03-06-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                    Stauber was a very good goaltender
                    Didn't he play for L.A. when Gretzky was there?

Inventor of the "Staubar"...device to supposedly assist goaltenders with their squaring technique/discipline from what I recall although I haven't heard of it for several years.

Comment

He was an aggressive goalie who would sprint way out of his net to take time and space away from an oncoming attacker but he often would basically dive and wipe out that players legs with his leg pads as he slid under him. He was dangerous to opponents as well as his own players as they were back checking the puck carrier. He strikes me as a guy that is very full of himself.

What is his background in women's hockey or girls' hockey? This is a very surprising decision and I would think not one that will be respected by the women's hockey community. Doesn't seem like a smart move at all.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        He was an aggressive goalie who would sprint way out of his net to take time and space away from an oncoming attacker but he often would basically dive and wipe out that players legs with his leg pads as he slid under him. He was dangerous to opponents as well as his own players as they were back checking the puck carrier.
                        Good example of that here just past the one minute mark: https://youtu.be/yzc482nSRVM
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Oh my. What happened to the old coach? he was very good
                          maybe team canada women have a chance now.

Comment

Good example of that here just past the one minute mark: https://youtu.be/yzc482nSRVM
                            Interesting video. Bischoff, Pitlick, Stauber and others. The names keep coming back, don't they? We talked with Stauber's dad at Amsoil a couple of year's ago for a bit when he was there to watch his granddaughter play. Nice gentleman. Maybe Stauber was hired mainly to help the US counter Desbiens next year. "Hobey" vs "Patty?"
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

KITN-29...Boy that brings back some memories...Interesting on the one play where the Gophers score a goal, Grant Bischoff puts himself offside coming into the zone.

Goalie equipment sure has evolved from those days and oh yeah...Robb Stauber is the devil.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                              X