UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Kyla Kawamura scored 1 goal and 1 assist in his debut with Powell River (BCHL). For his efforts he was named Energy Player of the Game. Highlights can be found at link below.

http://www.powellriverkings.com/king...in-home-opener
    UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Brent Hill is now playing for Islanders HC (NCDC) coached by Sean Tremblay.

Comment

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...eason-20170925

bad new for BC could be good new for UMaine. Cedar Rapids has a lot of forwards fighting for roster spots. Harry Roy being a '00 has tough competition. These injuries could play a significant role in him making the team. Oct. 3 is final cut to roster size 23 for ushl teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
          http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...eason-20170925

bad new for BC could be good new for UMaine. Cedar Rapids has a lot of forwards fighting for roster spots. Harry Roy being a '00 has tough competition. These injuries could play a significant role in him making the team. Oct. 3 is final cut to roster size 23 for ushl teams.
          That is really bad news for BC on Walsh. I believe he is one of the top 00's and a shoulder injury is one of the worst a hockey player can have. Is Roy ready for USHL or would he be better off elsewhere?

On another note, what has happened to Brent Hill in calendar year 2017? He started off great last year and has fallen off a cliff in the last nine months.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            That is really bad news for BC on Walsh. I believe he is one of the top 00's and a shoulder injury is one of the worst a hockey player can have. Is Roy ready for USHL or would he be better off elsewhere?

On another note, what has happened to Brent Hill in calendar year 2017? He started off great last year and has fallen off a cliff in the last nine months.
            It would good for Roy and UMaine if he plays in USHL this year.

I would be interested to know where you got the impression Brent Hill has "fallen of a cliff"? I thought he played his best hockey down the stretch of last season. He finished top 30 in PPG in CCHL, played excellent on PK, tenacious forecheck, and played great during the playoffs. Playing for Jason Clarke at Carleton Place, who runs one of the best junior teams around, was great experience for him. Just not sure what warrants your negative outlook on Hill?

Comment

It would good for Roy and UMaine if he plays in USHL this year.

I would be interested to know where you got the impression Brent Hill has "fallen of a cliff"? I thought he played his best hockey down the stretch of last season. He finished top 30 in PPG in CCHL, played excellent on PK, tenacious forecheck, and played great during the playoffs. Playing for Jason Clarke at Carleton Place, who runs one of the best junior teams around, was great experience for him. Just not sure what warrants your negative outlook on Hill?
              It turns out we're both right. He started off hot last year scoring 16 points in his first 10 games. He then cooled down scoring 10 points in his next 18 games, but as you correctly pointed out he finished with 10 points in his last 11 games. This year he only had two points in his first eight games. Do you think he is a guy who will be a little streaky as far as points go?

Comment

It turns out we're both right. He started off hot last year scoring 16 points in his first 10 games. He then cooled down scoring 10 points in his next 18 games, but as you correctly pointed out he finished with 10 points in his last 11 games. This year he only had two points in his first eight games. Do you think he is a guy who will be a little streaky as far as points go?
                Correct me if I am wrong but it seems as though you are grading him on box score stats soley? He actually missed December and first half of January (12 games). Upon his return he had a handful of games at the end of January where he did not score points (5 games in a row). I am not one for evaluating talent based on points alone and Brent Hill is a perfect example. His most significant contribution comes from turnovers he creates with his forecheck and his work on the PK preventing goals. He is a capable and consistent scorer (with right line combo) but not someone who should be expected to be Devin Shore.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems as though you are grading him on box score stats soley? He actually missed December and first half of January (12 games). Upon his return he had a handful of games at the end of January where he did not score points (5 games in a row). I am not one for evaluating talent based on points alone and Brent Hill is a perfect example. His most significant contribution comes from turnovers he creates with his forecheck and his work on the PK preventing goals. He is a capable and consistent scorer (with right line combo) but not someone who should be expected to be Devin Shore.
                  There really isn't much else to go on. I would argue if you go back in time points are usually a pretty good predictor on how a player will perform. A lot of points doesn't necessarily mean a player will be good, but in the lower leagues, like whatever they're calling the EJHL these days, if a guy isn't around at least a point a game I doubt he will bring much to the table. There are some obvious exceptions to this. The first is that they don't matter that much in the USHL. Another is that where a guy is relative to his teammates is very important as well. If I get a chance sometime I will go back and check and think you would be surprised on how strong the correlation is, even with guys who are good players but not prolific scorers at the college level.

Comment

Ben Beck was traded from Lone Star (NAHL) to Brookings (NAHL) where he will now team up with fellow UMaine recruit Max Sasson.

Comment

All Maine recruits on USHL 30 man rosters have made the final 23 man roster

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                        All Maine recruits on USHL 30 man rosters have made the final 23 man roster
                        That is wonderful news!

I read on twitter the other day that three kids who play for Fargo just decommitted, you think Maine has any interest in any of them? It seems like it could be a good opportunity.

Comment

I read on twitter the other day that three kids who play for Fargo just decommitted, you think Maine has any interest in any of them? It seems like it could be a good opportunity.
                          Not sure. I think next year's class is pretty well set at this point but that doesn't mean Red & Co. wouldn't jump on talent if they knew it was an upgrade or better fit. Then again, if we commit those three to go along with the three Maine already has on Fargo we would pretty much have a USHL farm team and would make HockeyTV viewing a lot easier....

Comment

Watched a fun USHL game last night against Sioux Falls and Fargo. Final score 2-1 Sioux Falls. The game featured 4 UMaine recruits in total. All three goals in the game were scored by UMaine recruits. Adam Dawe scored both for Sioux Falls and now had 4 goals in 3 games, while JSS scored hte lone goal for Fargo and how has 3-1-4 through 5 games. Dawe looks very comfortable in the USHL and the Fargo trifecta are looking good while they play for a very good coach/teacher in Cary Eades.

Comment

Watched a fun USHL game last night against Sioux Falls and Fargo. Final score 2-1 Sioux Falls. The game featured 4 UMaine recruits in total. All three goals in the game were scored by UMaine recruits. Adam Dawe scored both for Sioux Falls and now had 4 goals in 3 games, while JSS scored hte lone goal for Fargo and how has 3-1-4 through 5 games. Dawe looks very comfortable in the USHL and the Fargo trifecta are looking good while they play for a very good coach/teacher in Cary Eades.
                              Fake news. All of Red's recruits suck.

Comment

2 goal game tonight for JSS including the game winner. He now has 5 goals in 6 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X